Apple Watch to add blood oxygen detection feature

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Webdog, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9to5Mac is claiming that Apple iOS 14 code indicates plans to add blood oxygen level detection to the Apple Watch. Typically, Apple releases watch updates in September or October.

Apple Watch blood oxygen detection feature found in iOS 14 code snippet
    https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/08/apple-watch-blood-oxygen-saturation/

Diluted-biscuit and DokaGirl like this.
  2. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not wanting to rain on any Apple fan's parade, but in case its useful to someone you can get this stuff inc SpO2 monitoring in the £30 Huawei Honor Band 5 :)

Ryan

3. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very good point. That is an incredibly cheap watch. :thumbup:

I'm interested in how the new Apple Watch features might enable more ME research in the US. As I understand it, the watch will be FDA approved, and Apple already has a research app to collect the data to share with academic studies.

Ryan31337, Hutan and Diluted-biscuit like this.
  4. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s interesting that Apple seem to be taking the watch down the health monitoring and research path. Could make for a really useful device in the future.

Keela Too and Hutan like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Garmin have pulseox too. I do not know how accurate it is though.
    Apple's HR is one of the most accurate.

ukxmrv likes this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I was looking into which HR monitor to try a couple of years ago I spoke to Apple's very helpful support team. The guy I spoke to made it clear that their devices weren't for medical use. We had a chat and I explained there was a huge market out there for people who couldn't necessarily use them for exercise/sports but simply for monitoring their condition. At his request I sent an email explaining how and why we might use these devices.

I'm sure my email alone made very little difference, but when you look at the number of people with ME...that's a fair sized market.

diwa, Keela Too and Webdog like this.