Anyone tried H2O2 therapy?

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Puppylover, Dec 7, 2018.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

But it is what bleach is?

This is what is used to bleach hair. It can bleach teeth. It will bleach clothes if it drops on them etc. It smells of bleach even when it is a very weak solution in a mouthwash

As there are warnings for example about using too much too often even as a mouthwash then I suspect that might be a good place to look for research as there are likely connections there with regards to the harm done / links to issues?

Peter Trewhitt, Hutan and Kitty like this.
  2. Ildias

Ildias Established Member

H2O2 is not a bleach. SOD(Superoxide dismutase) catalyzes the dismutation of superoxide anion to hydrogen peroxide on every living organism's cell including microbes, which some of them are resistant to it since do not possesses CAT(catalyze) enzyme. I think I will create proper post in near future of why H2O2 might be an answer, since 100% of patients I was witnessed it was administrated to reacted flawlessly to it, removing all symptoms within few days. The problem is the form of delivery of this powerful compound.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

H2O2 is a bleaching agent, as anyone with peroxide blonde hair knows.
    It is not bleach if that term is being used to mean chlorine containing oxidising agents like hypochlorite but it is a bleach in the sense that it bleaches. The term bleach is also appropriate since H2O2 kills both bacteria and human cells in sufficient concentration. The rate of generation of H2O2 from superoxide in human tissues is presumably well below that level. The problem with recommending H2O2 as a therapy is that it is highly toxic at concentrations that can be bought and people who are foolish enough to use it at all may well be foolish enough to use it at the wrong dose.

There is not a scrap of evidence for it being of any value in ME/CFS. Any more than there is a scrap of evidence for UFOs despite people saying that they know lots of people who have seen them and who have seen bits of aliens in jars.

You can fool some of the people all of the time...

4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

H2O2 isn't the chemical we buy in the supermarket in a bottle labelled 'Bleach'. But H2O2 bleaches. It is therefore 'a bleach'.

5. Jonathan Edwards

Actually, one might add that these days what you buy in the supermarket called bleach does bu**** all, but that is the price you pay for being a bit more careful than when we were kids.

6. Ildias

True, cause nobody tried or make a single effort to finally take a look of approaches like this human study(link below). What if only hermitic approach is an only approach to solve oxidative stress related illnesses? What then? Will we be waiting for "safe" treatment forever? Look like it...

“The use of intravenous ascorbic acid and hydrogen peroxide resulted in a statistically significant reduction of pain in patients with moderate to severe pain from the Chikungunya virus immediately after treatment.”

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...ith-chikungunya.pdf?origin=publication_detail

7. Jonathan Edwards

Well now. Ascorbic acid is a reducing agent. They gave 25-50gm. I only read the abstract but this seems to have been mixed with 3ml of 3% H2O2, which would be 90mg. The molecular weight of ascorbate is 176, of H2O2 34. Assuming that one ascorbate can reduce one H2O2 I work that out at there being about 50-100 times as much ascorbate as needed to completely reduce the H2O2 to water. So it seems a pretty dumb thing to do even if you think H2O2 is useful.

And there seem to be no controls and the outcome measure is subjective so this could easily win the prize for the very worst trials ever done.

8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:D Oh, but there is so much competition. So, not 'easily'.

9. Jonathan Edwards

Yes, but giving two antidotes to each other at the same time is sort of creative.
    Certainly in the short list.

Actually I miswrote. I checked Google. Ascorbate is not a reducing agent it is (in bold) a very strong reducing agent.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe that was the reason for using it!

Bloody marvellous for getting the chlorine smell out of long hair, though.

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  11. Kitty

Maybe we should consider an annual S4ME award...

12. Ildias

Inhibits catalase actually

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2024
  13. Jonathan Edwards

We could call it the Mad Docs in the John Prize and after twenty years could issue a Christmas compendium for light reading while waiting for nature to take its course.

14. Kitty

:rofl:

Peter Trewhitt and alktipping like this.
  15. Ildias

Ok, you have full right to criticize scientific papers then....