1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone recommend an ultralightweight hoover?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by Sasha, Feb 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just wondering if anyone here has a steam mop? I use the small hoover for the carpet but I have a bit of laminate floor plus the kitchen and bathroom floor to clean too. I find mopping really exhausting so can only do maybe once or twice a year so the floors are not looking great. I'm wondering if a steam mop would be easier.... something like one of these:

Has anyone tried one? I imagine the actual mopping would be just as exhausting but maybe the prep would be easier - no bucket of hot water and no draining the mop involved.

Kitty likes this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I love my steam mop (sad creature that I am). Only problem is some brands have finicky, hard to fill water containers.

The lighter the mop can mean a smaller water container that needs more refilling and that job is beyond me with our current mop. Although it is very good once filled.

I am stuck in bed but will try and post brand name(s) when I can

Kitty, Tia and Wonko like this.
  3. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No experience of steam mops and this doesn't help for non-laminate surfaces.

I use HG laminate spray (but much, much less frequently than daily). A few squirts on a microfibre mop and you can just do a small area at a time. The mop head can go in the washing machine every so often.

https://hg.eu/uk/products/hg-laminate-spray-for-daily-use-product-71

Kitty likes this.
  4. Tia

Tia Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@ukxmrv That's good to hear that you like yours, I wasn't sure if they were actually any good or if I'd just been influenced by the ads. I'm quite excited about the prospect of being able to clean my floors, I don't know if that makes us sad creatures but if so we're not alone, Mrs Hinch has made a fortune out of her love of cleaning products! I think I might be better with finicky and light rather than easier and heavier.

@Ebb Tide that looks good for my laminate floors, might give it a go as I have one of those dry mops. It's the vinyl kitchen and bathroom floors that are the real problem at the moment as they are a bit grim having not been cleaned for ages and need a proper wash.

Thank you both!

Kitty, ukxmrv and Trish like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had flare-ups of pain from pushing my old (30 years and running fine) Royal upright. But alas, the belt was stretched out and floppy-useless and I tried ordering the right belts, except they were so tight, so no, they weren't the right part. The right part is now obsolete, unavailable.

But hey, being so old that your appliances are obsolete, there is a silver lining...I can use the hose attachment and a tiny upholstery 'head' and sit on the floor to vacuum. It gives my arms a workout, but I will only be doing a patch per day, so problem solved!

I don't want to replace my vacuum cleaner until I move from here, whenever that will be, for climate change or family support.

Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and Wonko like this.
  6. kilfinnan

kilfinnan Established Member (Voting Rights)

Not long after diagnosis I bought a robot. I have since replaced it with one that has a mop function. It is the best thing that I've ever bought. Massive improvement on the first.

The kid does the stairs with a small handheld. Without trying to be smart I don't know why anyone would have a traditional hoover.

I've also done the same with the grass. After set up that's a winner too.

Sasha, Tia, Kitty and 5 others like this.
  7. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Apologies, I didn't see this at the time.

Most of my house has industrial porcelain tiles (easier for wheelchairs), and I use a Shark steam mop. It's absolutely brilliant. It heats up in less than a minute, there are no chemicals or residues, and the floor dries very quickly. With a traditional mop it can take nearly an hour to dry in winter, by which time the cat's left footprints all over it.

It does take some effort, but no more than a lightweight upright hoover. It takes much more time and energy to shift coffee tables, bins, rugs, and dining chairs out of the way than it does to mop the floor! If I were to put all that stuff outside the house, I could clean the entire clear floor area in about 10 or 12 minutes. (I actually tackle it a room at a time over a couple of days.)

I use the mop on rugs, too, it's great for sprucing them up. It doesn't seem to damage even the cheapest, nastiest Ikea man-made fibre, which you'd think it might melt or something.

The used pads go into a bucket of biological detergent to soak overnight, then into the washing machine along with things like the bathroom pedestal mat and any cleaning cloths that aren't used in high hygiene areas. Easy peasy.

Sasha, Tia, Trish and 1 other person like this.