1. The 'News In Brief' post for w/c 8th October is now available Guest, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone has a stair lift at home ? (Moving, part II)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Dechi, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve been trying to decide between renovating my bungalow (too big for me to maintain, I live alone, my kids are gone) or buying a new (second hand) house.

Here is part I of the story, if you want to read it. https://www.s4me.info/threads/house-built-on-old-golf-course-yes-or-no.2731/

Since I can’t find anything smaller within my budget, I am now reconsidering semi-detached house or town houses, that all have 2 floors and that were eliminated because climbing that many stairs would be too much for me. I would only need one to go upstairs where the bedrooms are. I don’t go much in the basement, only to do laundry about every 2 weeks.

I think I could find a completely renovated one within my budget, and I could install a chair lift to bring me up the stairs. There about 5000$-6000$ brand new but there are a lot ofmused ones around and you can also rent them.

Does anyone have one and how do you like it ? Would you buy another one if you had to do it over again ?

Alvin, Indigophoton and Rosie like this.
  2. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have 2 stairlifts, one going to the upstairs, and one to the basement. We bought them new, and together they were about $6000 USD, if I recall correctly. This is one of the best decisions we've ever made. I wouldn't be able to use stairs any more, and my husband uses them to bring laundry up and down.

As a product, I think they're often not used for very long, so a well-constructed used one might be a good buy, especially if reconditioned. Good luck, @Dechi!

3. Rosie

Rosie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was talking to my mother about this a few weeks ago. I would get one if I had my own home with a second story. I would use it and so would my elderly mother. All the best with it all.

Alvin, Valentijn and Indigophoton like this.
  4. Starlight

Starlight Established Member (Voting Rights)

We have a stair lift, it has made a huge difference to us, it is so good to go upstairs at will. I wouldn' t hesitate to go with this option. I should have done it years ago. Best of luck with your decision.

Alvin, Rosie, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.