1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone get rheumatic/arthritic type joint pain?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by Dial It In, May 28, 2018.

1. Dial It In

Dial It In Established Member (Voting Rights)

I don’t get the muscle pain that typifies ME, but more joint pain.
    Rheumatoid arthritis has been ruled out in my fingers & wrists, after having MRIs which show nothing. I also get rheumatic pain to a lesser extent in my feet.

2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve had joint pain from outset that flares ....most notably in hips, knees and wrists hips the worst. Mostly it’s a general low level pain but during pem can be quite eye watering.

I also have muscular pain but this is not as painful compared to the joint pain.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get joint pain in my fingers if I over use the computer mouse or when I am doing something like weeding a garden.

Lisa108, Indigophoton, merylg and 3 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get both joint and muscle pain. That can be confusing, especially in the muscles around a joint.

Joint pain seems to affect all the joints in my limbs. It seems to be easily triggered by repetitive motion, so fingers and wrists are particularly vulnerable to it.

I don't get any redness or noticeably swelling, but occasionally some of the joints seem hot to the touch. This normally only lasts a few hours or a day or so (at this stage I will already have pulled back into rest mode).

5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have joint pain, too, but sometimes I don't know whether some of it is due to scoliosis because there is a preferred side.

I get swollen fingers when I go for a walk (worse when it's warm or hot). This is hurtful.

I don't think this is of rheumatoid nature.

A doctor once told me this could be due to a virus, hurting joints.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joint pain ( as well as muscular) . Wrists, shoulders, hips most affected.
    Trying magnesium spray for muscular pain.

Joints i think may be due to sulfur issues.

7. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get joint and muscle pain. I have a family history of arthritis (ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis, septic arthritis, the works) on both my mum and dad's sides of the family. My nana complains of non-specific ailments and fatigue, as does my aunt (her daughter), and my aunt, at least, fulfils the ICC criteria for ME (but also has septic arthritis and osteoarthritis, and may have AS too).

I, too, had scans for types of arthritis (MRI to check spine, X-ray to check wrists and hands), but nothing showed up.

I think infection and immunity may pay a part. As my immune system has got better somewhat (nine months of both LDN and Imunovir), the joint pain has mostly gone, leaving just muscle and neuropathic pain. I also notice the numbness and tingling more, but I suspect that's because the joint pain has subsided.

Occasionally, I wake up with a burning, fizzing pain in my joints, which feels more gout-like.

8. Lisa108

Lisa108 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

- Joint pain in wrists, fingers, ankles, toes, knees, hips - permanently, worse in the mornings (with joints feeling swollen and stiff)
    - Muscular & joint pain in neck and shoulders, temporarily.

I had arthritic like joint pain from the onset - so my first doctor's visit was to a rheumy. (But it was ruled out.)

9. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m getting a referral to see a rheumatologist to check for ankylosing spondylitis.

My bad days always include an inflamed, stiff and painful spine from neck to pelvis. The typical timeline and symptoms match my own 100%. The many years of vague and intermittent symptoms before crashing, the breathing issues, the inflammatory issues, the lack of mobility in the spine/torso (but nowhere else), eye issues, swollen toes... etc.

It can take 10-15 years before symptoms get serious enough to get diagnosed, although in women symptoms can be more subtle and many are probably never diagnosed and instead live for decades with pains and aches and chronic, debilitating fatigue.

10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Best wishes with that @andypants. It's good to hear your symptoms are being take seriously and properly investigated.

andypants, Inara and Skycloud like this.