1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else in the U.K. had a letter about a covid testing study?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by NelliePledge, Jun 30, 2020.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm hoping to use them at ASDA online, as I get a lot of my groceries and cat food there. I've stopped using Amazon as it was getting too confusing. I use ebay, but they're not included in the list.

MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I'd prefer this. It's a shame that you can't just credit the vouchers to your Paypal account, which would mean you could spend them almost anywhere – but I suppose that might incur extra charges.

MeSci likes this.
  3. MeSci

I've now had a very-pleasant reply to the email from a female saying:

"If I can be of assistance and register you via this secure email address, please can you give me the following information please:

· Unique Household Id:
    · Number of participants
    · Number aged between 2 - 16
    · Name of main householder to whom the letter was addressed
    · DOB
    · Full Address
    · Landline
    · Mobile Number
    · eMail address (for vouchers)"

I gave the info but pointed out that I had already registered by phone, but would prefer to conduct matters by email due to cognitive problems. She replied promptly: "I see that you are fully registered. A healthcare worker will be in touch as soon as one is available in your area.

I am unable to assist further via email but please be assured you will be contacted in due course."

So at least I am properly registered. The phone line seemed somewhat delayed or one-way, so I hope it will be email in future.

MEMarge, ladycatlover, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  4. MeSci

I've just had my first tests. I've offered to participate every week for a month, then I think it's monthly for a year. Despite my printed info saying "the telephone advisor will then be able to book you in for an appointment at a time that works for you, including at evenings or on the weekend", I was only offered an afternoon appointment. I'm fairly sure I have said three times that I am not very good until 1700 (it's brain fog). They've complied with this for the phone calls, but not with the visits - so far.

Sigh.

I've been able to use the first voucher, so that's good.

MEMarge, ukxmrv, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Is it not the individual healthcare professional who makes your appointments? The nurse always rings me and asks when she can come – I prefer to be her first call in the morning so that the rest of the day's free, but she'd do evenings if I asked. Maybe try saying when they call that you're not available until 1700? Some of the participants must have work commitments, and I bet they're able to work around them.

The nurses in the Midlands have to deliver all their completed kits to a testing centre in either Sheffield or Birmingham by about 6pm, so if it's the same where you live, it may be the reason they're trying to book you in earlier. But there's no reason it couldn't be included with the following day's batch if the test's done in the evening.

MEMarge, ladycatlover and MeSci like this.
  6. MeSci

I think it was the bloke who came that phoned me, and previously it was a female, and they just gave times and asked if it would be OK. I think the previous one was about 1100 am, and I said it was too early. But when the bloke phoned, again I said that it would be too early, but I had taken some precautions hoping that they would kick in, but unfortunately they didn't. He came at about 1345. Both times I mentioned that I had previously stipulated times, and they didn't seem to have been told. I stated it clearly this time, so perhaps he will take note, but it was really the first visit (today) when I needed to be compos mentis. I did my best!

7. Kitty

Well done for getting through it!

The visiting nurses probably won't have been given information, as the central team can be a bit hopeless. They were overwhelmed when the project started in April, and now that thousands more households are taking part, it's unlikely to get much better.

It might be an advantage, though, as healthy people can be a bit dismissive about our needs – they tend to think, 'Oh, they're at home all day anyway, and the time can't make that much difference.'

If you avoid referring to previous conversations and simply say, 'Yes, I'll be at home by 1700', it might make it easier. They'll be used to people saying they're not back from work until such-and-such a time, and will hopefully just accept it without making it an ordeal for you! :emoji_fingers_crossed:

8. MeSci

I don't think I will. I should be OK in future, but I'll be better if they make it later!

9. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve just done the IPSOS/Mori test - swab just like at test centre, but much easier than doing it in the car.

Lots of good information about how to do it & a video to watch too. Once you’ve done it once, it isn’t too bad, just a bit uncomfortable, but I’m happy to be the one doing the tonsil tickling.

Courier collected it - with a time slot & ability to track, so was able to rest ok, knowing I wouldn’t be interrupted.

Not expecting a positive result. Seems was random choice.

10. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, you're lucky. I think ours was distinctly late - unless I'm getting it muddled with something else.

MEMarge and RuthT like this.
  11. MeSci

I meant an early appointment rather than 'afternoon'.

12. MeSci

Well - I've just had my first printed result - for the test taken on 28th September! Negative, fortunately. Nothing (yet) for previous or subsequent tests.

I sincerely hope that any positive tests were notified somewhat sooner!

ladycatlover, Kitty, Mij and 2 others like this.
  13. Kitty

I too got my first ever result direct from the study today! The previous system was that if you tested positive, you would be contacted by your GP; if you didn't hear anything, you could assume it was negative.

It seemed a bit slack to me, so after the first few tests I rang the surgery to check. The results had come back promptly each time, and the receptionist (at least the one I spoke to – there are about eight of them at the practice) was aware of the study and that they should contact the patient in the event of a positive test. That reassured me, so I haven't rung them since.

I keep meaning to call to see if any of my antibody tests ever showed up positive, as I was ill with something unusual in early April, and one of my toes is still red and has shooting pains. I feel as if I'd be taking up their time for no good reason, though; I hate using the phone, too, so I haven't yet got around to it!

ladycatlover, MEMarge and MeSci like this.
  14. MeSci

Yes - I have a still-slightly-discoloured toe from my suspected COVID infection from February-March, but no further symptoms, thank goodness.

ladycatlover, MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  15. MeSci

Today I received my result for 12th October - negative again. Have you had any more, @Kitty? Or anyone else?

ladycatlover, Kitty and Trish like this.
  16. Kitty

No, but my next test isn't due until around 2nd November. I'm on the monthly schedule now; my last was on 5 October.

Hopefully, had you tested positive on 12 October, they'd have let you know a bit quicker than 12 days! :eek:

ladycatlover, MEMarge and MeSci like this.
  17. MeSci

I've now had another result, from 27th October - negative again. Don't know how accurate these self-taken swab tests are, of course.

ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  18. Simbindi

Simbindi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I had these swabs done in hospital I really struggled with the my gag reflex and the nasal swab also made me cough and choke, so there's no way I would be able to take these swabs properly myself.

19. MeSci

Yes - the throat ones make me gag too, but apparently that means you're doing it right! If I don't gag, I keep going till I do. Ideally I gag twice to make sure.

20. MeSci

I've had a 'Not determined' (test failure) result from 16th December. All the others so far have been negative.