1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody had an angiogram ?

Discussion in 'Cardiovascular and exercise physiology (CPET)' started by Dechi, May 3, 2018.

1. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My doc sent a request for me to have one and I am scared by this procedure. I’ve looked a little bit online but stopped because it was raising my anxiety too much.

If ypu had one, how does it go ? Does it hurt and can you go home right after ?

Thanks !

dangermouse and Melanie like this.
  2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi, I have never had an angiogram but I was curious why your doctor ordered one for you? Was it Dr. Hyde or another doctor? Are you having chest pain or other cardiac symptoms?

Dechi likes this.
  3. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

Had an angiogram and the only real problem was keeping still while it was carried out as normally I need some movement that eases blood pooling / cramps / twitches jumps etc

Dechi likes this.
  4. Dechi

I went to the ER about 3 weeks ago because I felt pinching to the heart, for many seconds to 2-3 minutes or more, for about 12 hours. I waited 16 hours to see the doctor but she was rude to me, she said she had patients waiting dor her that needed urgent care and she didn’t know my illness. I had to beg her to do some blood work at lesst and it took another 2 hours, after they lost my blood and had to redo it. The pinching kept happening the whole 18 hours, then stopped when I left. So it lasted about 30 hours, sometimes once an hour, sometimes once every 10 minutes.

I told Dr Hyde and he said he would send me to have it checked. We already know I have mild cardiac problem (can’t remember what) because I’ve been tested at the same hospital he’s sending me. Lots of heart attacks in my family too.

Gingergrrl and Trish like this.
  5. Dechi

Can you describe how it is actually done ? I’m kind of a woos, looking for reassurance, lol !

Binkie4 likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Dechi, Allele and Binkie4 like this.
  7. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a pulmonary angiogram, if that helps. NHS UK. (It is like the ct angiogram described in the link)

I had to undress and put on a hospital gown. A nurse asked me several questions in particular whether I had had a procedure where a contrast dye had been used. I hadn't. Very rarely there can be a reaction but any reaction can be dealt with so nothing to worry about. I had no reaction.

A cannula was inserted into a vein at my elbow which was to be used to insert the dye. I was warned that I might feel a flushing sensation as the dye was inserted, and I might feel the need to pee ( but I wouldn't, it's just a sensation, nothing to worry about.)

Then I was taken into the lab, lay on my back, contrast inserted and I was slid into the machine. I noticed a flushing but it was not unpleasant and quickly over. Several images were taken, perhaps about 10 minutes.

No pain. I was glad the nurse explained what would happen.They were checking my lungs for why I get so breathless and my result was fine which was reassuring.

I hope this reassures you @Dechi. Since mine was a pulmonary angiogram, I've added a link to the British Heart Foundation page where they focus on the heart.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-magazine/medical/tests/angiogram

ETA: it did not hurt and I went straight home. @Dechi -I read your post again. If reading online makes you nervous, don't look at the link but I found it reassuring and the CT angiogram it describes was just like the procedure I had. It also describes another type of angiogram. It describes it as a common test. I find keeping that in mind always helps me.
    ETA2: bit inside brackets on line 1/2

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. James

James Established Member (Voting Rights)

Angiogram was counted as just another routine investigation in the same way as getting an ultrasound while attempting to find an explanation for flipped T waves on ECG on Acetylcholine Provocation test. All very routine and taken from one test to another so I could return home the same day and wait for the cardio teams assessment when they had more information they could base a decision on. Having someone check out my symptoms was actually quite reassuring when the usual response is quite dismissive of anything other than a psychological explanation.

merylg, Dechi, Binkie4 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would ask ahead of time what the dye is, and do a little research. For me that would be the main area of concern.

Gingergrrl and Dechi like this.
  10. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have had an angiogram.

The procedure took around 30 mins. I had a lovely nurse support me as it was happening. She gave me a sedative that really helped.

I didn’t feel the procedure, except for pressure as the catheter was inserted into my artery (starting on inside of right wrist). The doctor was going to go in via my groin as my artery in my arm was very small, but then decided the arm would be OK. It was bearable but others that had had it done hadn’t felt a thing..this was rare.

I did react to the dye, I had a rash..itchy, but antihistamines sorted it out.

I wasn’t aware of anything touching my heart during the procedure.

I had it done due to chest pain. Trop T and ECG showed OK, angiogram was OK. I had an echocardiogram and that OK. I was diagnosed with Microvascular Angina and have medication that controls it.

merylg, Allele, Gingergrrl and 4 others like this.
  11. Dechi

Thanks for the replies everyone ! @Binkie4 that was very detailed and reassuring, thanks a lot !

I do have generalyzed anxiety so I will need everything explained to me before they start and probably a sedative. When I had my gastric biopsie, when the nurse saw I was getting worried and agitated, she immediately sedated me. She had prepared in advance and it worked out perfect. Nurses are the best.

You’ve all given me enough, I won’t be looking online anymore ! :)

Indigophoton, Trish, Allele and 2 others like this.
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This would be my #1 concern as well although I cannot remember if you have any history of allergic reactions @Dechi? My mast cell doctor told me that even if some day I was 100% cured of all illness, that I should never use a contrast dye that is iodine based (if there is another option) and I should be pre-medicated with IV Benadryl, etc, for ANY contrast dye. If this is not an issue for you, please disregard, and I don't want to make you more anxious! But just in case it is relevant, I felt negligent to not mention it.

13. Dechi

I forgot to mention I had a SPECT scan done, which means I had dye sent to my brain. And I had no problems at all. So this should be a non-issue for me. Thanks for bringing it up though ! :)

Gingergrrl, Allele and Trish like this.
  14. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just FYI, the brain dye was likely a radioactive substance. Angiogram uses iodine.

Dechi, Gingergrrl and Binkie4 like this.