1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Antihistamines

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Purple, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Tara Green

Tara Green Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've had a eureka moment with the anti histamine issue. I had no idea I was eating and drinking high histamine foods. I get itchiness, shortness of breath, slight throat, tongue swelling, feeling like throat is closing followed by an adrenaline dump which is horrible but the swelling starts to go down. This has left me with caution in trying stuff. Dripping nose, post nasal drip, crazy itchy eyes, feeling of blocked head down one side of head. Variiable bp. Sometimes small blisters in mouth from certain foods. Exhaustion. Face pain. I am sure there is more.

This all went after being on a low histamine diet - no caffiene not even green tea. I also get great relief from drinking Nettle tea (a natural anti histamine). The problem with the antihistamine diet is it is unsustainable. It takes iron discipline but the results are there to be had for me and so that is a big motivator. I just breathe through my nose of a night and still marvel at it as one nostril was always blocked. I don't knowo how it works but was hoping to just clear it and then

But look at this list: https://www.potsuk.org/about-pots/associated-conditions/mcas/

"
    his is a list of some of the common triggers:

• alcohol
    • heat
    • medication
      • antibiotics
      • non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (e.g. ibuprofen and aspirin)
      • morphine
      • certain drugs used to relax muscles during surgery
      • substances used to improve visibility of organs during certain x-rays
    • medical procedures (e.g. general anaesthesia, biopsy, endoscopy)
    • wasp/bee stings and other insect bites
    • fever or infection
    • exercise
    • physical stimulation (e.g. pressure, friction)
    • emotions/stress
    These are some other triggers reported by MCAS patients*:

• certain foods
    • environmental toxins (e.g. pesticides/perfumes)
    • bacteria/fungi/mould
    • artificial colours/flavourings
    • menstrual cycle
    There are potentially many more symptoms and triggers not on these lists, but as many patients present differently, it is impossible to list them all".

Exercise and monthly cycle triggers histamine. I have most of that. I wondered if this could be a major issue for me. It looks an awful lot like ME.

Problem is again, there doesn't seem to be any Doctor available to guide me through this. I am 100% sure I have a histamine issue now I understand what it is and wish I had paid attention to this years ago. The symptoms are clear and reliable.

I am concerned about taking an anti histamine because they can cause seizures, drowsiness, and long term use might cause dementia... plus not sure what I am doing and wish there was a Doctor's guidance.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    bobbler and Ash like this.
  2. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Low-Histamine Diets: Is the Exclusion of Foods Justified by Their Histamine Content?
    Nutrients 2021, 13(5), 1395; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13051395

Abstract
    A low-histamine diet is currently the most advised strategy to prevent the symptomatology of histamine intolerance. Conceptually, these diets should be founded on the exclusion of histamine-containing foods, although a certain disparity is found within the list of excluded foods in accordance with the different low-histamine diets available in the literature. This study aimed to critically review low-histamine diets reported in the scientific literature, according to the histamine and other biogenic amine contents of the excluded foods. A total of ten scientific studies that provided specific recommendations on the foods that must be avoided within the framework of a low-histamine diet were found. Overall, the comparative review brought out the great heterogenicity in the type of foods that are advised against for histamine intolerant individuals. Excluded foods were, in most cases, different depending on the considered diet. Only fermented foods were unanimously excluded. The exclusion of 32% of foods could be explained by the occurrence of high contents of histamine. The presence of putrescine, which may interfere with histamine degradation by the DAO enzyme at the intestinal level, could partly explain the reason why certain foods (i.e., citrus fruits and bananas) were also frequently reported in low-histamine diets. Finally, there was a range of excluded foods with an absence or very low levels of biogenic amines. In this case, certain foods have been tagged as histamine-liberators, although the mechanism responsible has not yet been elucidated.

Conclusion
    In summary, while the evidence supporting the clinical efficacy of low-histamine diets is progressively growing, there is still a lack of consensus on the foods that must be avoided in the dietary management of histamine intolerance. The critical review performed herein demonstrates that the exclusion of only 32% of foods could be justified by their histamine content. The presence of other biogenic amines could partly help to explain the relationship that some patients have established between the consumption of certain histamine-free foods and the onset of symptoms. However, low-histamine diets continue to require the attention of researchers, both to clarify the specific interaction of other amines in histamine metabolism and to elucidate the potential mechanisms of the so-called histamine-releasing foods.

Ash, RedFox and Tara Green like this.
  3. Tara Green

Thanks @CRG.

Is that scientific list of 32% of foods available anywhere? I def. get a reaction from some histamine liberator foods which is what makes it difficult. Surely that must improve once system has cleared itself of histamine? I don't know. So current strategy is omit high histamine and histamine liberator foods and drinks. Eat plenty of anti-histamine foods and drinks plus low histamine foods, re-introduce histamine lib foods. Then hope to tolerate high histamine food a bit better but catch it early and know what is causing the issue if not.

bobbler, Ash and Trish like this.
  4. Tara Green

Ash likes this.
  5. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are multiple different types of antihistamine. I think the oldest ones, such as diphenhydramine, are believed to increase the risk of dementia, but I have no idea about the others. It might be worth researching the different kinds and looking up the intended effects and the side effects of each.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihistamine

I was intrigued to see, on the link above, a reference to Mast Cell Stabilisers :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast_cell_stabilizer

I've never heard of them before, and since mast cells get mentioned on the forum quite often I thought I would highlight the mention.

bobbler, Ash and Tara Green like this.
  6. Tara Green

Much appreciated, thanks. Mast cell stabilizer medications include Vitamin D. One of the few things that I found helpful was vit d. 6,000 iu as per Dr J Campbell's advice. I didn't keep that up properly.

Does the forum mention exercise intolerance in the form of a histamine allergy anywhere?

bobbler, Ash and Arnie Pye like this.
  7. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See figure 2 in the study:

[​IMG]

Ash, Binkie4 and Tara Green like this.
  8. aehend

aehend Established Member

Those who were taking H1 and H2 and found reduced CFS symptoms, can you update? Any continuing effects?

9. Purple

Purple Established Member

M
    My husband has been following a protocol advocated here (under Mast Cell Activation Syndrome): https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/draw-expert-opinion-optimise-care-long-covid-2022a1001lla. That is, taking famotidine and loratidine for 6 weeks followed by a higher dose of famotidine and a different H1 antihistamine for another six weeks. Half way through, no improvement whatsoever.

10. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The best recognised list for histamine foods is I believe this, known as the SIGHI list.( Swiss Interest Group Histamine Intolerance). It colour codes and simply ( 0 1 2 3) numbers foods for their histamine levels.

It explains how histamine levels can rise or be lower dependent on the food preparation techniques adopted. That makes it difficult to say a particular food is always safe. It also has a column for histamine liberators.

I found it very helpful when I had mast cell issues and I still use it to refer to if I go into a flare/ increased sensitivity as I did recently when I reacted to my toothpaste. Types of cheese for example vary a lot so in a sensitive phase I usually move to mozzarella cheese. They are all listed and numbered.

https://www.mastzellaktivierung.info/downloads/foodlist/21_FoodList_EN_alphabetic_withCateg.pdf

11. Purple

Purple Established Member

Update, my husband completely recovered after switching to the second combination of anti-histamines advocated in the above article, plus taking low-dose amytryptaline (given to maximise his sleep.)

Starlight, bobbler, Lindberg and 3 others like this.
  12. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for putting this information out there everyone, I’m gonna delve next time I’m capable!

Starlight and bobbler like this.