1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Antibiotic exposure and risk of Parkinson's disease in finland: A nationwide case‐control study

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by JES, Nov 22, 2019.

1. JES

JES Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31737957

Given how incredibly common it was for kids in my generation to get prescribed antibiotics for ear and sinus infections, I wonder what other disease it could presuppose to...

Barry, merylg, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is this just a case of suggesting the rooster makes the sun rise?

Inference is no longer a strength of mine, but that deficit seems endemic in medicine so I don't feel too lonely.

Hutan, alktipping, merylg and 2 others like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting question is whether it is the antibiotics themselves or the pathogens that those antibiotics target.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1197638308253360130

Or an immune system somehow predisposed to be more susceptible to those pathogens.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1197883816347684866

So an association, which in real science is not sufficient to argue causation, unlike in BPS fairy land where nothing matters except the predetermined conclusions, but it provides an interesting avenue of investigation with a common link to several potential causes.

Hutan, alktipping, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems we are starting to learn how spreading antibiotics like peanut butter over the land has effected human health.

What else will be revealed?

Snowdrop, John Mac and duncan like this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe the antibiotics cause Parkinson's disease - nothing to do with bacteria.

I note that the 95% confidence interval for relative risk includes 1.05 - which sounds like this is scraping traditional statistical significance at best.

TrixieStix, Hutan, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  6. beverlyhills

beverlyhills Established Member (Voting Rights)

Parkinson's patients had more subtype viral infections pre-disposing patients to PD (or just correlative), and they were inappropriately prescribed antibiotics. Or appropriately for secondary coverage, especially at that CI.