1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti-ganglionic acetylcholine receptor antibodies in functional neurological symptom disorder/conversion disorder, 2023, Nagata et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Hutan, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2023.1137958/full
    Open access

Team from Kagoshima, Japan

Objective: Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy (AAG) is a rare disorder characterized by autonomic failure associated with the presence of anti-ganglionic acetylcholine receptor (gAChR) antibodies; however, several studies have reported that individuals with anti-gAChR antibodies present with central nervous system (CNS) symptoms such as impaired consciousness and seizures. In the present study, we investigated whether the presence of serum anti-gAChR antibodies correlated with autonomic symptoms in patients with functional neurological symptom disorder/conversion disorder (FNSD/CD).

Methods: Clinical data were collected for 59 patients presenting with neurologically unexplained motor and sensory symptoms at the Department of Neurology and Geriatrics between January 2013 and October 2017 and who were ultimately diagnosed with FNSD/CD according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition. Correlations between serum anti-gAChR antibodies and clinical symptoms and laboratory data were analyzed. Data analysis was conducted in 2021.

Results: Of the 59 patients with FNSD/CD, 52 (88.1%) exhibited autonomic disturbances and 16 (27.1%) were positive for serum anti-gAChR antibodies. Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction, including orthostatic hypotension, was significantly more prevalent (75.0 vs. 34.9%, P = 0.008), whereas involuntary movements were significantly less prevalent (31.3 vs. 69.8%, P = 0.007), among anti-gAChR antibody-positive compared with -negative patients. Anti-gAChR antibody serostatus did not correlate significantly with the frequency of other autonomic, sensory, or motor symptoms analyzed.

Conclusions: An autoimmune mechanism mediated by anti-gAChR antibodies may be involved in disease etiology in a subgroup of FNSD/CD patients.

Sid, alktipping, MSEsperanza and 11 others like this.
  2. Hutan

Hard to know where to place this one, dealing as it does with FND/conversion disorder, but suggesting an autoimmune mechanism for a subgroup.

It's a shame there was no control group, with a blinded evaluation of antibodies. (I haven't read the paper yet.)

The paper was first posted about on another thread, with a link to a twitter thread about it.

MSEsperanza, alktipping, Wyva and 9 others like this.
  3. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What if ME and FND could have similar pathologies? Perhaps FND causes mostly overt neurological symptoms because the pathology only affects specific regions of the brain, where ME affects more of the brain and causes problems in other parts of the body.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The conversion disorder stuff simply appears to be stacked on because reasons. Criteria were for neurological symptoms and a lack of diagnosis, it's just that the DSM criteria for "conversion disorder" are circular and basically apply to everyone with a neurological condition, the only exemption being a diagnostic. You could basically label this "not blessed by a medical priest" for all that it's relevant.

So basically, those are people with mostly dysautonomia. Shows how blatantly useless the FND labeling is. At this point, it's probably reasonable to think this is simply because FND is very marketable and will give the paper more prominence, but you could just as well apply criteria for demonic possession, or whatever.

Reading the symptoms list, huge overlap with ME. This may actually be somewhat relevant, despite the unnecessary marketing element. For sure this could be some LC cohort with some arbitrary criteria. Damn is medicine arbitrary when they don't have the biology nailed down, just all over the place with no concern for coherence or validity.

Invariably, when I see discussion in the wild about FND that finds anything biological, you will find a form of this reply: "so, it's not functional, then?" By which of course they all mean the magical generation of any and all symptoms by way of some imagined emotional distress that actually only means "not gonna bother with you". Or whatever.

MSEsperanza, Hutan, Mithriel and 2 others like this.
  5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's something with this tweet I have been wanting to ask on the 'basic questions on research metholodolgy' thread for a while now -- even if it's more about language/ wording of study reports.

I wonder which is a large enough sample to report in percentages instead of natural numbers.

To me percentages, at a first glance, always appear to report representative figures.

I find it misleading to report only percentages in the abstract if you have a sample that's not large enough to be representative.

To be fair, the quoted paper does report the total number (and reports the subgroups in natural numbers) in the abstract and reads less spectacular than the Tweet. I think the Tweet is also misleading as the important info that the whole sample were patients with a FND diagnosis is postponed. I first read it as 88 percent of all patients in a neurological clinic not 88 percent of patients diagnosed with FND.

So of 59 patients diagnosed with FND in a particular neurological department the sample was taken from, 52 patients "exhibited autonomic disturbances" and 16 patients had anti-gAChR antibodies.

Paper's abstract:

Edited to add:

The author's conclusion in the paper:

"More than 80% of our FNSD/CD patient cohort had autonomic symptoms, and more than 25% of the cohort were positive for serum anti-gAChR antibodies, whether or not autonomic symptoms were present.

"To clarify the relationship between this psychiatric disorder and anti-gAChR antibodies, further investigation of clinical symptoms and the establishment of a measurement system for antibodies against the anti-nAChR subunit are needed."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Fair points, @MSEsperanza.

But at the very least it raises a serious question about the diagnostic reliability, relevance, and validity of FND, which seems important given what is at stake, and requires urgent and robust clarification.

7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which is an important finding when the formulation of FND, as secured by positive rule-in signs, means that there should be no further medical tests - and that doing more tests is both an unnecessary waste of scarce resources and will undermine the patient's recovery.

Sid, Gradzy, livinglighter and 8 others like this.
  8. MSEsperanza

Yes, @Sean and @SNT Gatchaman --

Even if only one patient in this group had significant test results or could actually be diagnosed with another disease than FND, that would be an important finding.

Also, to be fair I haven't read the paper and have no idea how the 'diverse autonomic disturbances' were identified and whether the found antibodies (and their positive or negative correlation with some of the diverse autonomic symptoms) could actually point to something meaningful.

From the abstract, it isn't clear to me whether the presence of the found antibodies lead to an actual diagnosis of Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy in any of the patients -- also have to admit I never heard of this disease and only saw the Wikipedia article indicating that it "needs additional citations for verification".

It's just the way these results are hyped in the tweet without giving further details that I don't find helpful.

I share the hope though that the actual findings might eventually be helpful.

Apologies for repeated edits -- also edited my original post to add the authors' conclusion in their paper that I think justifies both cautiousness with interpreting the findings and hope that these could prove meaningful.

9. Hutan

Yet again we find people who use the FND label tripping over themselves. 'These are neurological disorders, but because we don't know what's causing them, they are generally considered a psychological disorder'. God of the gaps, the bin for stuff that's too hard.

I think more accurately, it's the tumour-associated neurological syndrome and the autoimmune encephalitis and something that might explain the elevated blood inflammatory markers that the doctor had trouble diagnosing. Diagnosis of FNSD/CD on the other hand was a piece of cake, a walk in the park, an 'oh, I don't know, this will do'.

I'm not too sure what this is saying. I think it's referring to the now abandoned requirement for there to have been childhood trauma, or just trauma. But, as for suggesting that FNSD/CD isn't a psychogenic reaction - well, I think there needs to be a bit of consultation among the FND crowd. Last time I looked, conversion disorder was very definitely a psychogenic reaction, and we've certainly seen a lot of definitions of FND that suggest that it can be fixed with better thinking. Like said above, this field is a mass of contradictions. I suppose at least these people are looking for a medical explanation.

10. MSEsperanza

As I edited my original post, I thought I'll add the section about how they measured/ assessed the antibodies compared to the control sample:

From the paper:

"Serum antibodies against gAChR α3 and β4 subunits were quantified using a LIPS assay (13, 19), in which specific antibodies are bound to a Gaussia luciferase-tagged antigen and the bound antibody is quantified by measuring luciferase activity with a luminometer.

"The results are expressed as relative luminescence units (RLU).

"Serum was considered positive for anti-gAChR α3 or β4 antibodies if the RLU of the test sample exceeded a cut-off value of three standard deviations (SDs) greater than the mean RLU of the control sample (sera obtained from healthy individuals). We evaluated the antibody levels as an antibody index (A.I.). A.I.= [measurement value of the sample serum (RLU)]/[the cut-off value (RLU)].

Sean, alktipping and Hutan like this.
  11. Hutan

Just noting 68 patients attending the clinic appear to have been diagnosed with FNSD/CD. 9 of these had other conditions that surely might have produced some movement (this includes weakness) or sensory symptoms (this includes pain), I mean "chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy"? And yet they still got a diagnosis of FND.

This paper only looks at the remaining 59 people.

12. Hutan

As @MSEsperanza noted, positivity was relative to the mean of healthy individuals. There isn't any further detail given in this paper but the 2015 paper talks about the 73 healthy controls that were used to create the reference level.
    Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy: an update on diagnosis and treatment, 2018

Clinical Features of Autoimmune Autonomic Ganglionopathy and the Detection of Subunit-Specific Autoantibodies to the Ganglionic Acetylcholine Receptor in Japanese Patients, 2015
    I've run out of energy. I'm not sure what I think about this yet and I haven't read enough. There looks to be some evidence that the autoantibodies cause problems, but I'm not sure how they diagnose someone with AAG in the absence of the autoantibodies. Is this mainstream stuff?

Sean, alktipping and MSEsperanza like this.
  13. MSEsperanza

I think investigating these 9 patients' illness / diagnosis trajectory, including reviewing the diagnosing clinicians' thoughts and decisions would be worth a paper too...

Sean, alktipping, obeat and 1 other person like this.