1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anger rumination mediates differences between fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls..., 2019, Toussaint et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by shak8, Jun 11, 2019.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

anger ruminations in fibromyalgia

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/pmh.1445

My personal experience with fibro is that the pain is quite extreme and makes me irritable in many ways. When the pain is sometimes relieved by an opioid, I am my normal self--not "angry."

Again, this psych research has it backward: the irritability of the nervous system causes anger, and among other things: extreme sensitivity to sensory stimuli.

And there is always looming in the background that society doesn't understand fibro and professionals make fun of it, and there is no cure, and now opioids are a big no-no for non-cancer pain. Whoa, I'm getting angry just writing this!

So omnipotent, these psych researchers in that they believe that they can somehow have fibro patients think differently and that will cure any mental health aberration.

Fibro is caused by some organic process; it is not a thought disorder. Cure the pain process and the mental health 'issues' will evaporate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@shak8

I don't like that phrase "anger rumination". Reading it so many times in one short paragraph made me irritable.

Dechi, Sarah94, Forbin and 6 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

anger rumination another one to add to the BPS tripe terminology list

their ridiculous assumptions and terminology make me bloody angry

Sarah94, Forbin, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

Reading this made me angry.:mad:

shak8, MEMarge, Forbin and 1 other person like this.
  5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As any cow, sheep, goat or deer will tell you... don't ruminate angry!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    shak8, MEMarge, chrisb and 1 other person like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Anger rumination = TRIPE :whistle:

shak8, MEMarge, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a short video interview on the BBC website with tennis player Andy Murray on the difference it has made to his life now being pain-free following his hip surgery.

Sorry, too fogged to put link up but should be able to find it through Sport section if no longer on front page.

Edited for spelling

shak8, MEMarge, Annamaria and 3 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can easily replicate that. In anyone. Including the fools who think they're making a serious point here. 100% guaranteed.

Take an annoying noise, something like a smoke detector. Make it intermittent, say once every few seconds. Even worse if it's a bit unpredictable, just make sure it's particularly grating to the ear. You can even turn the volume down a bit, doesn't matter. Now make someone live with that 24/7.

There will be much "ruminations". Exactly the kind of "ruminations" that people think is happening here. Pain hurts. That's the point. It makes life unpleasant. Call that "ruminations" if you like, it really doesn't take much to ruin someone's life, the complaints still are legitimate.

No amount of ACT, CBT, LP, mindfulness or any of the usual crap psychosocial ideologues promote will make up for the misery of a simple, annoying, endless noise. It's just noise. Nevertheless, it would drive the sanest, healthiest person to "ruminations" with enough time.

But here, it's just noise. Doesn't even hurt. Doesn't matter, it would ruin someone's life just as certainly, would drive even the most ardent deniers to madness if it isn't stopped eventually. It ruins your sleep. It ruins your enjoyment of everyday things. And still, just noise.

Just because you don't believe that there is something happening does not make it so and inventing all sorts of elaborate Rube Goldberg explanations is pointless junk. Accepting that a problem exists is the first step to solving it, whether that problem is yours or someone else.

But seriously medicine needs to stop with the "it's all your fault" thing. It's insult to injury and just plain old cruelty at this point, the evidence that it's a worthless ideology is indisputable.

With enough time this will all look even more barbaric than things like bloodletting. At least back then they had the excuse of genuine ignorance. Willful ignorance is just the worst possible kind of failure.

shak8, ahimsa, Skycloud and 3 others like this.
  9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NHS still uses bloodletting as treatment - seriously.

So I'm told anyway - it's the frontline treatment for Haemochromatosis.

They don't even give it back, unlike with dialysis where they return it.

MEMarge likes this.