Review An Unwanted but Long-Known Company: Post-Viral Symptoms in the Context of Past Pandemics in Switzerland (and Beyond), 2024, Staub

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free full text:
    https://www.ssph-journal.org/articles/10.3389/phrs.2024.1606966/full

An Unwanted but Long-Known Company: Post-Viral Symptoms in the Context of Past Pandemics in Switzerland (and Beyond)

REVIEW
    Public Health Rev, 08 April 2024
    Volume 45 - 2024 | https://doi.org/10.3389/phrs.2024.1606966
    [​IMG]Kaspar Staub1,2* [​IMG]Tala Ballouz3 [​IMG]Milo Puhan2,3
    • 1Institute of Evolutionary Medicine, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
    • 2Swiss School of Public Health, Zurich, Switzerland
    • 3Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Prevention Institute, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
    Objectives:

Some people do not fully recover from an acute viral infection and experience persistent symptoms or incomplete recovery for months or even years. This is not unique to the SARS-CoV-2 virus and history shows that post-viral conditions like post COVID-19 condition, also referred to as Long Covid, are not new. In particular, during and after pandemics caused by respiratory viruses in which large parts of the population were infected or exposed, professional and public attention was increased, not least because of the large number of people affected.

Methods:

Given the current relevance of the topic, this article aims to narratively review and summarize the literature on post-viral symptoms during past pandemics and to supplement and illustrate it with Swiss examples from the pandemics of 1890, 1918–1920 and later.

Results:

Post-viral diseases were an increasingly emphasised health topic during and after past pandemics triggered by respiratory infections over the last 150 years.

Conclusion:

In the next pandemic, it should not be surprising that post-viral conditions will again play a role, and pandemic plans should reflect this.

Kitty, MeSci, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  2. Obermann

Obermann Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good paper, thanks Tom. It is interesting to notice that they mention encephalitis lethargica in the review. It is a neurological illness that appeared in several epidemics during the first decades of the 1900s. The lethality was alarming, several tens of percent, and many patients were severely debilitated after the acute phase. The epidemics stopped in the second half of the 1900s for unknown reasons, but there are still endemic cases. The aetiology is not well understood—I don't think it has been conclusively demonstrated that it is an infection. This illness is an illustrative example of the problem with arguments of ignorance. It has all the criteria for being labelled “functional” or “medically unexplained”: a) the aetiology and pathogenesis are not understood, b) there is no diagnostic test, and c) the illness mysteriously appeared and disappeared. Because of the high mortality, the BPS proponents have abstained from adding this illness to their turf.

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Yes, interesting, and useful if you want to cite a reference on the importance of understanding post-infection diseases.
    For example:
    I'm not so keen on some of those supposed advances 'Your Covid Recovery' in the UK. It could be worth finding out more about the 'EPOCA tool of Swiss Insurance Medicine' for assessing and documenting for social insurance.

Kitty, Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It was interesting to read yannlk's post on another thread about the situation in Switzerland, just after writing the above on the Swiss Insurance Medicine - I've copied yank's post here:

I wonder if this paper can help to rectify that problem.

alktipping, Sean, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mentions in 2 places but largely ignores the giant ME/CFS elephant in the room. So still a very superficial effort that puts too much emphasis on old events and mostly frames it as an issue during epidemics, ignoring that this happens all the time, just at a lower level. Or that COVID will continue to have high prevalence while most LC comes from mild acute cases.

Doesn't get much better than a C given this.