1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Closed An international survey of experiences and attitudes towards Pacing using a heart rate monitor for people with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Andy, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

From @PhysiosforME

Quote:

We are pleased to present "an international survey of experiences and attitudes towards Pacing using a heart rate monitor for people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome."

People with ME often use heart rate monitors to pace their activities but there has been very little research exploring the use and peoples experiences of this approach.

The aim of this study is to explore the experiences of and attitudes towards pacing with a heart rate monitor in people with ME.

How can I take part?

The first step is to read the patient information sheet.

The link to the survey can be found on the information sheet.

Download Patient Information Sheet Here

You can find out more about using a heart rate monitor on our website here.

https://www.physiosforme.com/hrmonitorsurvey

Channa, Ravn, DokaGirl and 10 others like this.
  2. Daisy

Daisy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The survey has 40 questions, virtually all with tick boxes / radio buttons to make the questions easier to answer.

There are some free text boxes if you want to add in some extra information about your experience of HRM.

There are some demographic questions, questions about the type of device that you use, the benefits and difficulties of HRM, the effect of HRM on symptom severity, a few questions about HRV, whether you feel you have been harmed by HRM, attitudes of those around you to HRM etc

There is an email address at the end to contact the researcher if you are happy to be interviewed about your experience of HRM.

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME - I'm confused! The intro says, 'The University of Leicester (UK) would like to survey the experiences of people with ME/CFS who are Pacing using a Heart Monitor.' So is this only for people who are currently using a monitor? I've used one many years ago but don't know if I should complete the survey.

5. Daisy

I was involved in creating this survey. Thanks for your interest.

I'd say complete the survey if you can. Part of the aim of the survey is to explore barriers to heart rate monitoring and why it can be difficult. So it is helpful to know why people have stopped HRM. There are free text boxes for practically every question so you can add in a comment if you do not think the question exactly matches your circumstances, and also include information about when you stopped HRM.

ETA - I'm not affiliated to Physios for M.E., but am involved in managing the Pacing with a Heart Monitor #2 Facebook group, and we were involved in creating the questions.

Michelle, Amw66, Ravn and 8 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Thanks, Daisy!

@PhysiosforME - If you want people like me, who've stopped HRM, to fill in the questionnaire then I think you'll need to edit the front end to say so. I would have given up if not for Daisy's comment, because the questions are so clearly phrased to relate to current use and the intro says that the survey is only for current users - who, by definition, haven't found it so bad that they've given up.

Edited to add: You risk having a self-selected bunch of respondents who got on great with HRM but who don't represent PwMEs' experience in general. It may even be that most patients give up.

Ravn, DokaGirl, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  7. Daisy

8. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ooh thank you for the feedback. I'll share with Nikki. She did work with people who use HRM to develop the survey but this is a really good point

Ravn, DokaGirl, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Ha, Sasha obviously read the preliminary information more carefully than I did, I just went ahead and filled the questionnaire in as best I could.

I used to monitor my HR and modify my activity appropriately as much as I could but have since stopped as I felt that it wasn't providing me with any actionable information, over and above what I did already. Given it's, for me, limited use and that it was an additional cognitive task taking up valuable energy, I stopped doing it.

Medfeb, Ravn, DokaGirl and 10 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have done the survey. It was straightforward and easy to do.

I use heart rate monitoring, though my use has changed over time as I have learned to sense for myself when I need to stop and take a break from physical activity better as a result of frequent checking of my heart rate when I first started it.

I'm not sure to what extent the survey exactly captured my experiences, but I did find the questions sensible and relevant for someone who uses heart rate monitoring. I think the study will be useful. It was so nice filling in a survey that showed genuine understanding of the relevant aspects of ME and didn't ask irrelevant stuff like mood and childhood trauma!

I agree it won't get a full picture of all pwME, but that's not the intention. I see it more as informing physios and others helping pwME with pacing to teach people how to use HRM effectively if it suits them. It won't suit everyone.

11. Sasha

But I think the question of why it doesn't suit everyone is really important, if this is an important intervention. There may be solvable problems.

Ravn, mango, Daisy and 2 others like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I agree that's a really important question. I didn't mean to suggest it isn't. I think it would be very worthwhile to do a separate survey to try to find out why some people find it unhelpful. Perhaps members here could help to design such a survey.

Ravn, Daisy and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Sasha

But @Andy quotes this:

Restricting the survey to people still doing HRM seems to be against the intended aim of the survey.

Ravn, Daisy, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Done.

Ravn, SNT Gatchaman and Daisy like this.
  15. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Filled it out, good luck with your survey.

16. Helene

Helene Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done.

Daisy, Ravn and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  17. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I agree with @Sasha that the phrasing some places made it difficult to answer as someone who don't use HRM for pacing right now.

Another comment @PhysiosforME would be that abbreviations should be explained in the questions. If I had not been active on this forum with many members from the UK I would not have made the connection between NHS and UK healthcare. Abbreviations like RHR, HRM, HRV etc. are not known by everyone either. In one Norwegian group on HRM I see many ask what "HRV" stands for, and if there was an abbreviation for RHR in Norwegian I'm sure people would ask about that as well ;) Granted I'm a bit brain foggy so I might have missed these explanations.

Trish, Imse, Daisy and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Done but found some of the questions around PEM duration and intensity difficult to answer, and my answers didn't really capture my reality.

To explain, there were questions about how severe your PEM was before HRM and with HRM, and how long it took to return to pre-PEM level. For me both depend strongly on how badly I overexert. A little overexertion causes 5 days or so of mildish PEM. More overexertion causes around 10 days of moderate PEM. And so on. This was the case before HRM and remains the case now so my answers - same, same - don't show any effect of HRM. Yet there is an effect and that's how often I land myself in PEM. These days it's almost always "planned PEM", a conscious decision to overexert for something important. That's because thanks to HRM I now have a better handle on which activities are particularly energy intensive so "accidental PEM" has become less frequent.

Trish, Kitty, Imse and 5 others like this.
  19. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you for these comments. I'll share with Nikki

Trish, Ravn, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  20. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had the same difficulty, although for a slightly different reason. For me, overexerting by a lot or a little causes the same duration of PEM, it's the severity that changes.

Seeing a friend almost always causes a bit of PEM, but it's low-level – grumbling sore throat, sleep not great, a bit more pain. An unexpected event can push me so far into PEM that I can't function, but as long as I've been pacing well and am on a stable base, I'll usually still recover most of my function within a week.

Ultimately it may not matter to the survey, but it's probably still worth folk recording challenges with PEM questions on surveys (we all understand that it's fiendishly difficult to frame them!)

Thank you for your work on this. :)

Daisy, Trish, Ravn and 1 other person like this.