An Exploration of Spiritual Superiority: The Paradox of Self‐Enhancement (2020) Vonk et al.

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Cheshire, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ejsp.2721

(Thanks to @JohnTheJack)

2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is that an improvement?

Arnie Pye, Helene and Invisible Woman like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The narcissism trickles up. It gets very concentrated, congealed, even, at the top.

One thing I am curious is exactly how all this stuff differs in any way, not even in a meaningful way just any distinction whatsoever, with the exact same New Age stuff that was really big in the 70's. Only thing I can think of is they steer clear of some diseases now. It used to be super big with cancer but people have managed to mostly abandon that. Mostly, it's still taught and believed by many in clinical psychology, but it's very fringe.

Seriously, all this stuff has been tried already. Exactly as is. For well over a decade. Amnesia-based evidence really is... uh... I forget what it is but whatever it's bad.

Mij, Arnie Pye, Perrier and 3 others like this.
  5. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Hate it for a totally different reason - more crap about "narcissism", a currently fashionable construct that does not, in my opinion, hold together at all.

We're all supposed to have high self-esteem - because that's a Good Thing, and because apparently, low self-esteem is the root of all evil (often literally, its been claimed to be the cause of a lot of criminal behaviour). But at the same time if a person is deemed to have too much self-esteem - however the hell that's defined - then its Bad, and its called narcissism.

Don't get me wrong, if a person acts like a selfish **hole or a smug git, I think we can call them out on their selfish **holery or smugness. I just don't think we need to appeal to pseudo psychology and accuse them of being a narcissist.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Michelle, Mij, Louie41 and 6 others like this.
  6. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, I don't know. I like a good narcissus - though i do admit that flower shows can be a trial.

7. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the authors of the original idea being put forward are on the wrong trail.

The teaching self-esteem idea has been around a long while. I remember it well from when my kids went to school.

I really don't think of it as at all helpful. A better concept in my view would be to teach self-respect and by extension applying that to others, so giving and receiving respect.

Too me self-esteem is problematic because it promotes self-care without consideration of others. It may be conceived of differently by the people who propose it but in fact it gets taken in (learned) as, like an old advert says "I'm worth it". Worthy of all things it provides one license to do anything.

Learning to respect yourself you set standards of behaviour and while giving basic respect of person to all others you learn to expect standards fro those you deal with if they want more than your basic respect.

Helene, Michelle, rainy and 6 others like this.
  8. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Yes, this is much better. Treat yourself with the same consideration and respect as you would someone you care for. If you want to achieve something, do yourself the courtesy of encouraging, not undermining your own efforts - just as you would for someone you care about.

Helene, Yessica, rainy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup:. Well said!

Helene, Woolie, shak8 and 2 others like this.