1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

An Etiological Model for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2011, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Kindling might represent a heuristic model for understanding the etiology of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Kindling occurs when an organism is exposed repeatedly to an initially sub-threshold stimulus resulting in hypersensitivity and spontaneous seizure-like activity. Among patients with ME/CFS, chronically repeated low-intensity stimulation due to an infectious illness might cause kindling of the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Kindling might also occur by high-intensity stimulation (e.g., brain trauma) of the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Once this system is charged or kindled, it can sustain a high level of arousal with little or no external stimulus and eventually this could lead to hypocortisolism. Seizure activity may spread to adjacent structures of the limbic-hypothalamic-pituitary axis in the brain, which might be responsible for the varied symptoms that occur among patients with ME/CFS. In addition, kindling may also be responsible for high levels of oxidative stress, which has been found in patients with ME/CFS.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=4275

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a ridiculous take in my honest opinion

Mij, Wonko, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

in how many patients has hypocorticolism been demonstrated?

Wonko, Hutan, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not many.
    Some people latch on the finding of low salivary cortisol in mornings, but those people don't understand that there are confounding factors - patients may think they're being careful and complying with the study by actually getting up at a regular time in the morning and then testing (as opposed to sleeping in to their usual waking time as they usually do). This alone can cause the effect.

Napping during the day can also alter the daily cortisol response, without having any underlying pathology.

Mij, Wonko, Hutan and 6 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Argh. :banghead:
    Hypocortisolism - it seems that so many people want this to be true, even though there is no evidence. I hoped for better from Leonard Jason.

There's further discussion in some of the threads tagged with 'cortisol'.

Michelle, Snow Leopard, Wonko and 2 others like this.