1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Altered TRPM7-Dependent Calcium Influx in Natural Killer Cells of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Patients, 2023, du Preez et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract:
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a disabling multisystemic condition. The pathomechanism of ME/CFS remains unestablished; however, impaired natural killer (NK) cell cytotoxicity is a consistent feature of this condition. Calcium (Ca2+) is crucial for NK cell effector functions.

Growing research recognises Ca2+ signalling dysregulation in ME/CFS patients and implicates transient receptor potential ion channel dysfunction. TRPM7 (melastatin) was recently considered in the pathoaetiology of ME/CFS as it participates in several Ca2+-dependent processes that are central to NK cell cytotoxicity which may be compromised in ME/CFS. TRPM7-dependent Ca2+ influx was assessed in NK cells isolated from n = 9 ME/CFS patients and n = 9 age- and sex-matched healthy controls (HCs) using live cell fluorescent imaging techniques. Slope (p < 0.05) was significantly reduced in ME/CFS patients compared with HCs following TRPM7 activation.

Half-time of maximal response (p < 0.05) and amplitude (p < 0.001) were significantly reduced in the HCs compared with the ME/CFS patients following TRPM7 desensitisation. Findings from this investigation suggest that TRPM7-dependent Ca2+ influx is reduced with agonism and increased with antagonism in ME/CFS patients relative to the age- and sex-matched HCs. The outcomes reported here potentially reflect TRPM3 dysfunction identified in this condition suggesting that ME/CFS is a TRP ion channelopathy.

https://www.mdpi.com/2218-273X/13/7/1039

Hutan, Yvonne and Lisa108 like this.
  2. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, but always from the same group of researchers.

Sid, sebaaa, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It would be good to see this work replicated by other teams and with larger samples. Still only 9 patient and 9 controls here. It looks like this is newly collected samples using CCC diagnostic criteria. I don't understand enough about the details to know whether this progresses significantly from what they had found before.
    It's interesting to see the reference to Aripiprazole as a treatment that might be relevant to this finding.

Hutan, alktipping, Yvonne and 3 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

“Clinical evidence further supports TRPM7 as a potential therapeutic target to improve health outcomes for ME/CFS patients. Aripiprazole is a promising therapeutic agent for the treatment of ME/CFS that is suggested to reduce microglial activation and associated neuroinflammation via TRPM7 [66].”

5. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Doesn’t look like there is good candidate TRPM7 agonist that is selective for this receptor.