1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alpha-gal syndrome: Meat allergy linked to tick bites

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Jaybee00, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/dec/11/mysterious-allergy-to-meat-alpha-gal-lone-star-tick

Hutan, DokaGirl, ladycatlover and 4 others like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Merged thread
    The rate of Americans developing a rare meat allergy from tick bites is rising, researchers say, and may have already impacted as many as 450,000 people.

New data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday shows a steep increase in cases of alpha-gal syndrome.

The allergy triggers a possibly life-threatening reaction to several types of meat or animal products.

US scientists have traced alpha-gal to saliva from the lone star tick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66333478

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2023
    Hutan, RedFox, Robert 1973 and 5 others like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lone Star ticks are aggressive. My understanding is that they don't just quest by waiting to latch on; they actively hone in on animals and go after them.

5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Other ticks can give you alpha gal allergies as well.

I wonder if we'll see an increase in Norway too. Some apparently "grow out of" their allergies, while for others it can become more sensitive. Since the reactions typically occur hours after intake of red meat, it can be easy to miss the association and most doctors are unaware that it is even possible to be allergic to meat.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  6. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As far as I can tell, AGS as a vector-borne disorder has only been identified and reported since the early 2000's. I wonder how long it was around "infecting" people before that?

If I won that dark lottery, I'd want to know.

RedFox and Joan Crawford like this.
  8. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

You would be correct :)

I think it can be very hard to spot in a patient if one has never heard of it. Even if the patient has clear food allergy/GI symptoms, alpha-gal may not be in the set of allergy test a doctor orders simply because they don't know.

I had a patient who had discovered a pattern in her symptoms that they only occured on days they had meat for dinner. This made her think she had an allergy to meat. She googled it, and found that meat allergies was a thing and something one could develop as an adult. Her GP refused to believe her, but had to concede it was a thing when it was possible to order tests for alpha-gal allergies. When the tests came back positive the GP at least had the decency to apologize for their lack of knowledge and bad attitude.

RedFox, Joan Crawford, duncan and 2 others like this.