1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

All events about ME should now be virtual

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by NelliePledge, Mar 30, 2020.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I’ve made this point regularly over the last couple of years that ME organisations should be taking a lead on running events that do not force people to be either physically present to be able to participate or excluded.

Now the healthy people involved in the ME community are restricted as well and will be for the foreseeable future hopefully they will all wake up to options such as webinars, virtual reality. I’m not saying these formats will completely overcome the issues we experience due to ME obviously people will still struggle to concentrate for long sessions (although maybe you could be innovative over the agenda and run events over a few days with a couple of hours a day or have it once a week for a month). This will be the time to abandon ‘we’ve always done it in this location and in this format’.

Wits_End, feeb, alktipping and 17 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Absolutely agree!

It's important that the researchers and clinicians meet face-to-face, though, as so much important networking goes on during coffee and meals breaks, and it would take a lot of time out of their schedules if they only met for a couple of hours a day. But if it's all live streamed, and then videos are put up later for those of us who need to watch a bit at a time, it should allow many people with ME to access it.

I'd love to see another innovation, if it were possible: access to researchers' speech notes and slides. It's great that transcripts of some events are are provided, but the way people speak can make them hard to comprehend, and the volunteers making the transcripts can't edit them due to the risk of information being missed, sense changing, or emphasis being shifted. If people planning a presentation know that a summary of key points would be useful when they begin, might at least some of them may be able to do this without needing any additional time?

3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

They won’t be able to meet face to face for months if not years so that mingling will have to be done virtually. Recordings are important and should always be done but it doesn’t allow active participation which should be available for people who are able to take part in that way.

4. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Priority Setting Partnership, announced at the CMRC conference. Many of the sessions are remote, but a few included in person days.