1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aging affects the balance of neural entrainment and top-down neural modulation in the listening brain (2017) Molly J Henry

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Subtropical Island, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15801

As this describes some (a minor but very frustrating part) of my experience: difficulty with auditory multi-tasking, screening out background noise while doing things etc. I wondered if some of these processes might be relevant to ME/CFS. I am actually in the youth age range but my experience now is in line with the older group. Only since ME/CFS.

I was not sure which section to post this so mods please move where best.

I am not able to read this in full myself today but wanted to see what others (having good reading days or not cognitively affected) got from it. Sorry, i meant to put in an excerpt but can’t do it just now.

2. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Quotes from the article cited (for those who prefer a preview):

3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have been plagued by this since I was a teenager with ME and it is definitely part of the sensory overload we experience. However my daughter was tested for hearing difficulties and was told this was a form of deafness where the auditory nerve works but the brain can't make sense of things. She was given a leaflet and told to use the same coping methods as in other forms of hearing problems.

In a different health authority my son had also been referred to audiology unknown to us but he was just told he had nothing wrong with the auditory nerve and dismissed. He got the leaflet :)

The brain is so complicated and the sensory workings so involved that it is no wonder we have so much problems with ME.