1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adolescent recovery

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Amw66, May 1, 2018.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is more likely to be the other way round. If an adolescent is very ill they have support systems in place and can rest (if the medical profession let them). Being mildly affected makes it easy to overdo things all the time.

When I became ill at 14 I did not realise that everyone did not feel like me. I assumed for years they felt just as bad but still got on with things.

The confusion of CFS diagnosis also means that post viral syndromes and glandular fever, which can make people much sicker in the short term than ME, are mixed in with the statistics yet are known to only last a few years in many victims.

ladycatlover, rvallee and Trish like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would definitely have had more opportunities to rest and recover some function as a teen than as a working adult, when I was constantly having to rush work whenever I felt a tiny bit better or face destitution for the months of complete disability with no income. Rest is the only thing that's ever allowed me remission, even if always at a lower level than the last and now seemingly not happening anymore.

This may actually be a genuine matter of interest, that it's possibly the ability to rest, thanks to already being taken care of and not having to push through or face starvation, that is the key to a better outcome. As usual, the literal opposite of what our saboteurs have been promoting for 3 decades. As soon as I started regaining more ability to function I would naturally do all the things these idiots allege we categorically refuse to do and need to be cajoled and prodded.

How ironic would that be? But we'd need real researchers to make something of this. Despite their growing interest in younger patients, Chalder's and Crawley's work is so incompetent we can't even tell what % of actual ME patients they actually include in their research. There are so many ethical barriers to working with minors and genuine researchers don't have some weird privileges where they can just reuse consent forms from completely unrelated trials and have review boards rubber stamp it.