1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adolescent and Young Adult ME/CFS After Confirmed or Probable COVID-19, 2021, Petracek et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 19, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Introduction: Fatigue is a common acute symptom following SARS-CoV-2 infection (COVID-19). The presence of persistent fatigue and impaired daily physical and cognitive function has led to speculation that like SARS-CoV-1 infection, COVID-19 will be followed by myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

Methods and Results: We describe three adolescent and young adult patients who had confirmed or probable COVID-19 infections early on during the pandemic and were referred for evaluation to the Chronic Fatigue Clinic at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center. All patients reported orthostatic intolerance symptoms within the first 2 weeks of illness, and 10-min passive standing tests were consistent with postural tachycardia syndrome. After 6 months of illness, all three patients met criteria for ME/CFS. Clinical features of interest included strong histories of allergies in all three patients, two of whom had elevations in plasma histamine. Each demonstrated limitations in symptom-free range of motion of the limbs and spine and two presented with pathological Hoffman reflexes. These comorbid features have been reported in adolescents and young adults with ME/CFS.

Conclusion: ME/CFS can be triggered by COVID-19 in adolescents and young adults. Further work is needed to determine the pathogenesis of ME/CFS after COVID-19 and optimal methods of treating these patients. Our preliminary study calls attention to several comorbid features that deserve further attention as potential targets for intervention. These include neuromuscular limitations that could be treated with manual forms of therapy, orthostatic intolerance and POTS for which there are multiple medications and non-pharmacologic therapies, treatable allergic and mast cell phenomena, and neurologic abnormalities that may require specific treatment. Larger studies will need to ascertain the prevalence of these abnormalities.

Open access, https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmed.2021.668944/full

Hutan, Ryan31337, Kalliope and 8 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Above study n=3 patients.

Hutan, Kalliope, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At least it is good that we are seeing testing for orthostatic intolerance as default in some contexts.

This can only help people better understanding the biomedical basis of long Covid and of ME.

Hutan, Ryan31337, MEMarge and 6 others like this.
  4. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

News release from Johns Hopkins Medicine:
    COVID-19 Story Tip: Case Study Suggests Young People May Be Susceptible to Chronic Fatigue Following COVID-19

quote:
    A six-month post-COVID symptom onset examination, including evaluations of movement, neurological function and continued orthostatic intolerance, was conducted on each of the patients to determine if ME/CFS could be diagnosed. All three easily met the criteria.

Interestingly, Rowe says, all three patients had relatively mild COVID-19 respiratory symptoms and none required hospitalization, yet it appears to have translated into the more serious secondary problem of ME/CFS for them all.

“This finding is consistent with previous studies in older patients with COVID-19 who showed persistent fatigue months after infection, regardless of the severity of the initial infection,” he explains. “This raises the question of how many ME/CFS cases before the COVID-19 pandemic might have been due to mild, subclinical or asymptomatic viral infections [such as Epstein-Barr virus or human herpesvirus 6], including cases in adolescents, young adults and older people.”

Hutan, Michelle, NelliePledge and 6 others like this.