1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Addressing the Long COVID Crisis: Integrative Health and Long COVID, 2021, Roth et al.

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Milo, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Addressing the Long COVID Crisis: Integrative Health and Long COVID.

Abstract

While COVID-19 has killed millions of people globally, its lasting effects on the health and well-being of entire populations are just becoming clear.

As many as 30% of those diagnosed with COVID-19 report continuing health-related problems, regardless of the severity of the initial infection.

Given the infection rate in the world, that translates to between 5.4 and 17.9 million globally; about 700 000 in the US.

The syndrome goes by many names; here we call it "long COVID." Patients experience a wide range of symptoms, including serious organ system effects such as pulmonary fibrosis, myocarditis, new diabetes diagnoses, stroke, and other cerebrovascular events.

They also experience ongoing pain, fatigue, and cognitive dysfunction.

We suggest here that these patients require an integrative health approach, one that combines traditional medical management, non-pharmacological approaches, and behavior and lifestyle changes.

Such an approach has been shown to be beneficial in other chronic illnesses such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and post-Lyme disease

(bolding mine)

free access here

Keywords: COVID; Integrative medicine; chronic fatigue syndrome; complementary and alternative medicine (CAM); diet; exercise; immune; integrative health; long COVID; mindfulness; post-COVID; stress reduction.

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks like this is basically an advertisement for an integrative medicine clinic in New York that serves a multi ethic community many of whom can't access or afford standard medical clinics.
    Here's the bit about what they do for patients with long covid.
    I've split it into shorter paragraphs for easy reading.

3. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On balance I feel the word “Goals” is not of any usefulness at all in this context.

Might even count as it’s very own teeny tiny :emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning::emoji_warning:

4. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It may be some kind of advertisement but know tat similar approaches in other areas of the world also focus on a BPS approach, patient education and self- management because there is no treatment at the moment of Long-Covid, like for ME.

Like @Ash my eyes stopped at ‘life goals’. As if people needed coaching. i always refer to other diseases when that kind of stuff is being put forward, and see how that flies. Cancer patient: what are your life goals? Lupus patient: what is your life goal? Diabetes patient: what is your life goal. That makes me feel dirty. Keep my life goals, my spirituality (or lack of), my childhood out of health care.