1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Acute and delayed response to resistance exercise leading or not leading to muscle failure (2016) Fernando Pareja‐Blanco et al

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Subtropical Island, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is not a study of ME/CFS at all (mods please move if it’s in the wrong place).

I’m interested because of the time factor in the study: they studied physiological effects of exertion over time (6hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs) in relation to level of exertion (defined in proportion to failure = max exertion) for healthy men.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/cpf.12348

Just checking if anyone already has access to this? in order to see if the change over time after the greater intensity exertion follows a different curve/form than the lesser exertion (or if it’s a similar curve but with greater amplitude leading to the longer recovery).
    Unfortunately it’s only 10 men. But there is a range of measures taken.

I think it’s important for us to really understand the effects of exertion over time in healthy people - to see if PwME are different in nature or degree.

2. Subtropical Island

It’s probably obvious that I’m new to really looking into exercise physiology.

I found this article (I’m having a very good reading day) quite interesting:
    https://www.painscience.com/articles/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness.php

It’s about DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness (generally in active healthy people) and essentially talks about how little we do know about this part of our physiology, and a lot of the misconceptions still floating about.

So I’m increasingly wondering if we need to wait for sports science to get a good handle on athlete physiology, ...then normal person physiology, ...then sedentary physiology, ...then people with well-understood conditions, ...then ME.

3. Subtropical Island

NB I know what DOMS feels like for me (when I was fit and healthy and for a few weeks in a remission) and my illness feels distinct from that - and has a lot more symptoms. I’m not confusing the two, just wanting to get a handle on how much we know about normal before we can identify abnormal.

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I've thought for a while that research into DOMS may provide insight into PEM, given the similarities in delayed reaction to exertion.

Skycloud, Inara, Ravn and 2 others like this.
  5. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This!

And I would love to see comparison studies between PwME and healthy but severely overtrained athletes. On the face of it there is significant symptom overlap between overtraining syndrome and (exercise-induced) PEM. The question is this: is the mechanism of (exercise-induced) PEM the same as in overtraining syndrome and our problem is that we for some reason get it at a ridiculously low threshold, or are the mechanisms for the two conditions quite different?

Here is a review article on overtraining syndrome. Note how familiar the various hypotheses attempting to explain it sound: there are the glycogen hypothesis, central fatigue hypothesis, glutamine hypothesis, oxidative stress hypothesis, autonomic nervous system hypothesis, hypothalamic hypothesis and cytokine hypothesis.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3435910/

@Andy, I agree. Studies comparing PwME in PEM with healthy people with DOMS could also provide valuable insights.

Skycloud, Inara, Andy and 4 others like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ravn, Inara and Andy like this.