1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Academic publishing: a discussion

Discussion in 'Other research methodology topics' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought it might be useful to group our discussions and comments on academic publishing. This includes the role of scientific journals, the relevance of peer review, the use of preprints etc.

I thought this comment on Twitter was interesting:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1226136111409500160

Woolie, alktipping, LadyBirb and 3 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Michiel Tack I would agree that it would be useful to have a way of grouping such threads together. Recently we have had quite a lot of threads addressing publishing and publishing ethics.

Would the best way of doing this be to create a separate ‘Forum’ under the “Other News and Research” heading?

alktipping and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

I notice that biorxiv, the preprint server for biology, has added a note saying:

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  4. ME/CFS Skeptic

Was listening to this 2016 podcast "Everything Herz: 17: Journals: Do we need them?" and they mentioned that in physics and mathematics it is common for researchers to just publish their article on their academic profile where it gets a DOI, so without journals as an intermediary.

They also mentioned the interesting option that large funders of researcher could act as an academic publisher - they have put the money in and so have an interest that results are reported correctly. These would largely be public-funded institutions like the NIH but their option to publish would then be open to all, like clinicaltrials.gov, which is also funded by the NIH but researchers from all over the world can register their trial there if I understand correctly.

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, if only. That would be one silver lining at least!

7. ME/CFS Skeptic

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

A short article on peer review

‘Nothing like what the public think it is’: Peter Ridd on the truth about climate change and ‘peer review’

Edit : The article doesn't actually mention climate change, it only discusses peer review.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2020/0...e-truth-about-climate-change-and-peer-review/

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Wakefield, Macchiarini, PACE, and now this.

There is a pattern here.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  11. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Simbindi and Mithriel like this.
  12. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Caroline Struthers likes this.
  13. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So this gives retraction an important role since peer review is inadequate. But that is broken when retraction is rejected even after evidence of egregious fraud with explicit intent to mislead. As fitting for the Lancet PACE paper as it is for Cochrane, where numerous flaws were identified during the review process and not a single one was actually addressed but now, oops, too late, can't retract.

And especially breaks when the editor-in-chief is party to the deception. And the "professional skeptics" don't care because they are content that the fraud validates their beliefs.

What a failure this guy is. Hell, it seems every British medical journal is incapable of performing their function since they do the same: give cover to politicized outright fraud and help in the cover-up.

Break down the whole system. It's an industry. It is failing. It has failed. Break it down entirely and rebuild a functional system in its place.

Mithriel, EzzieD and Sean like this.