1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

About the Idea That You’re Growing Horns From Looking Down at Your Phone, 2019, New York Times

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Stanford now checking for horns in ME patients. ;)

3. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have one and a half tusks - does that count as horns? Should I be worried?

Asking for an elephant.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Taken at face value, given I only entered the smartphone age about 3 years ago, and I've had ME for 34 years, it clearly indicates that the effects of smartphones are flexible re causality.

But such things should never be a barrier to a good theory, or at least one that might be profitable.

5. feeb

feeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's surprising to see such a critical article on it - the rest of the media seemed to have just gobbled up the original story wholesale.

It's always fascinating how little thought people put into these things. Lacemakers in the 16th century spent most of their lives hunched over their work, from very young ages, and for far longer than people can reasonably use their phones today. The health problems caused by the work are well-documented by historians; arthritis, eye-strain. Funnily enough bone spurs on the back of the head don't seem to show up anywhere in the historical or medical literature.

Perhaps it's the microwaves coming from the phones that cause it rather than the hunched over position. Or perhaps the affected people just have unhelpful bone beliefs. Luckily we know a cure for that!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  6. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://qz.com/1649011/researcher-behind-smartphone-horns-study-sells-posture-pillows/

ladycatlover, Hutan, oldtimer and 3 others like this.
  7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)