1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Abnormalities in the urine of people with ME/CFS? A clinician asks for feedback

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Nov 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

An interested clinician sent me the following observation/question. I will pass along any responses that I find of interest, or perhaps simply direct them to this thread.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this to.

2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If I remember right Chris Armstrong/Neil McGregor measured urine during PEM. According to the University of Melbourne website this is his email. n.mcgregor@unimelb.edu.au

Neil talks about urine in PEM in this presentation around ~6mins. "Dramatic increase in amount of metabolites in urine". I recommend the clinician watch the full presentation, it is very thought provoking.
    https://mecfsconference.org.au/videos/neil-mcgregor/

Nellie, Cheshire, andypants and 20 others like this.
  3. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Make a poll.

alktipping, Kitty, inox and 2 others like this.
  4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get this it smells methane like

5. hinterland

hinterland Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’m not sure about the smell. But when on precipice of a crash I’ve noticed that I need to pee more.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I looked it up and found methane is odourless.

alktipping, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep, they out something in it so that you know there is a leak. So what do they add?

alktipping, MEMarge, Kitty and 3 others like this.
  8. mariovitali

mariovitali Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Tom Kindlon

An observation based on my n=1 research :

After crashes there was a definite change of the colour in my urine. Darker urine was always associated with severity of symptoms/crashes. Lighter urine was always associated with "good days". I tried drinking more water (to make sure i was hydrated) several times but there was no apparent change to the colour.

9. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I do feel very dehydrated when in PEM, but I don't notice any difference in odour or colour.

10. wastwater

• Natural Gas and Mercaptan . This additive is called Mercaptan (Methanethiol: CH 3 SH). Mercaptan occurs naturally in marshes, natural gas in some areas, and in some crude oils. Mercaptan is highly flammable and at very high concentrations it is highly toxic and affects the central nervous system.

11. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

bleach smell anyone?

12. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There may be an interesting logic to looking at urine.

The homeostatic systems of the body are designed to keep the composition of blood constant, more or less.

Those homeostatic systems depend on other compartments being very inconstant. So the air you breath out changes in response to burning of glucose to CO2, or the ingestion of acidic material. More than anything, the urine changes in whatever way is needed to keep the blood constant. It changes in terms of water content, pH, sodium content and also waste products like urea, rate and urobilinogen that are produced at different rates.

So during PEM it makes sense not to look at the blood being kept constant but at the fluid that does all the shifting needed to achieve that. I guess the urine is a bit like the stock exchange - an indicator of flux.

Change in the urine during PEM might be very simple. It might be more concentrated or contain more haem breakdown products or more ketones. Some time back I suggested that it might be worth PWME wearing actometers for several months to get a picture of the pattern of activity and the way it differed from normal not so much in quantity as in pattern. Repeated urine testing might show something up in the same way. It might show nothing very interesting but I think there is an argument for considering it.

ArtStu, diwa, Cheshire and 37 others like this.
  13. wastwater

alktipping, Kitty, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have a habit of smelling my urine. I just did and it smells lightly of organic things and I think I can distinguish a hint of ammonia too. Not very chemical but organic. It reminds me of sweat.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  15. Marco

Marco Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My urine tends to smell of things I've eaten in my last meal - something I don't remember from pre ME/CFS.

16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes my pee absolutely stinks when I am bad. Not the same regular urine smell but stronger, but just i dont know, nasty & 'not right'.
    I do get very very thirsty when I'm bad & therefore pee a bit more but nothing changes that smell. I not noticed a colour change but I will observe.
    FWIW it was one of the first 'odd' things I noticed when I was milder (& in denial that there was anything wrong)... That my pee sometimes smelled very strong & unusual. When I mentioned it to doctor he rolled his eyes at me so I never mentioned it again.

Nellie, andypants, Skycloud and 13 others like this.
  17. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL neither do I! But when it smells strong you dont have to actively 'smell' it, it wafts up at you out of the bowl. Ugh sorry that's a bit TMI :sick: :speechless: :D

Mind you i do have a very sensitive sense of smell, always have had since i was a kid. I could smell a bonfire with the windows shut & would alert my mother to get her washing in off the line :D

18. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes I've noticed recently my pee stinks mostly in the morning. I've only noticed this recently as I've gotten even sicker. The one thing I noticed from illness onset which has continued is foul smelling sweat. Completely different to pre illness sweat. Really gross.. Toxic!! I've noticed change in odor in other areas but I will go no further. It's nothing something I've looked for, it's just obviously there. Bizarre.

19. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me more frequent urination is a symptom of crashes and it seems to smell more at these times.

I first noted it around the time frequency became an issue, seven or eight years ago, when it seemed to have the asparagus pee smell, even though I had not eaten any. My GP did not seem to consider the smell significant once we had ruled out prostate cancer, so I have not discussed it since.

Subsequently frequent urination is almost invariably linked to PEM, at its worst every 15 minutes, returning to nearer normal in good periods. It seems to smell more at such time, not just the normal diet related variation, though food related variation in general seems more noticeable too (but it is harder to be certain whether this is just the potential ME habit of desperately trying to establish symptom patterns, indeed I wonder if this rational attempt to make sense of our diverse varying symptoms is a factor in some doctors regarding us over focused on our physical symptoms).

Now the smell seems to vary at such times [during crashes], sometimes still the asparagus smell, sometimes fishy (I had wondered about possible infections, but there are no other related symptoms) and sometimes the more chemical odour people describe above.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  20. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only time I notice an odour with my urine is when I eat asparagus.