1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Unique Circular RNA Expression Pattern in the Peripheral Blood of ME/CFS Patients, 2023, Cheng et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by EndME, Jun 17, 2023.

1. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ME/CFS is a debilitating disease with obscure aetiology. However, despite the extensive amount of research that has been performed on the transcriptomes of ME/CFS patients, all of them are solely focused on linear RNAs, and the profiling of circRNAs in ME/CFS has been completely omitted. In this study, we investigated the expression profiles of circRNAs, comparing ME/CFS patients and controls before and after two sessions of cardiopulmonary exercise longitudinally.

In patients with ME/CFS, the number of detected circRNAs was higher compared to healthy controls, indicating potential differences in circRNA expression associated with the disease. Additionally, healthy controls showed an increase in the number of circRNAs following exercise testing, while no similar pattern was evident in ME/CFS patients, further highlighting physiological differences between the two groups. A lack of correlation was observed between differentially expressed circRNAs and their corresponding coding genes in terms of expression and function, suggesting the potential of circRNAs as independent biomarkers in ME/CFS. Specifically, 14 circRNAs were highly expressed in ME/CFS patients but absent in controls throughout the exercise study, indicating a unique molecular signature specific to ME/CFS patients and providing potential diagnostic biomarkers for the disease. Significant enrichment of protein and gene regulative pathways were detected in relation to five of these 14 circRNAs based on their predicted miRNA target genes. Overall, this is the first study to describe the circRNA expression profile in peripheral blood of ME/CFS patients, providing valuable insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying the disease.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378111923004092

Highlights:
    • Human peripheral blood circRNA profile changes in response to exercise.
    • Distinct circRNA expression profile found in ME/CFS patients.
    • CircLINS1 was differentially expressed on multiple days of exercise study.
    • CircNUP98, circNPAT, circCSF3R and circLIN54 may serve as potential biomarkers.
    The data of this study is taken from Bouquet et al. (2019) and was downloaded from the European Nucleotide Archive (ENA) using the study accession number PRJNA526259 in FASTQ file format (https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/browser/view/PRJNA526259).

sebaaa, Hutan, Jacob Richter and 13 others like this.
  2. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This study being based on the study by Bouquet et al. means that the sample sizes are very small (ME/CFS (according to CCC) n=14, HC n=11). However, a re-analysis of other studies based on similar methods should be possible.

sebaaa, Hutan, MSEsperanza and 7 others like this.
  3. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Again, they're comparing inactive people to active healthy controls, so it doesn't necessarily mean much about ME.

sebaaa, Hutan, John Mac and 8 others like this.
  4. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forum thread here.

Controls were sedentary -- but agree that additional controls with other illness would be good. And a larger sample size.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    sebaaa, Hutan, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  5. Creekside

Sedentary is better than normally active, but not by much. A useful project for the OMF might be to establish criteria for suitable controls for ME research. Maybe a combination of different diseases (of specified severity), daily activity levels, and activity potential (how long can you ride an exercise bike, or do push-ups, or whatever?).

RedFox likes this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Participants all did 2 day CPET as part of the study.

EndME, Hutan and RedFox like this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

How interesting. I'm excited to read the study.
    If you, like me, don't know anything about circRNA other than it exists, you might find this paper helpful to read before tackling the ME/CFS study:
    Circular RNA: metabolism, functions and interactions with proteins, 2020

sebaaa, EndME, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  8. Hutan

This is background from the 2020 review paper I linked to:
    So these circRNAs can be inside cells, in the cytoplasm, in the nucleus and even in mitochondria. They can be transported between cells in extracellular vesicles, and are in the blood and in urine. Therefore, there are many places to look for the circRNAs. This 2023 ME/CFS study looks at the circRNAs in blood. That raises the question of whether a circRNA found in the blood is being excreted from a cell as a waste product, or if it is being transported for a purpose. It sounds as though there is a lot to find out.

circRNAs are relatively stable. It seems that a viral infection of a cell causes an up regulation of RNAase, which destroys the circRNAs. It's reported that reduced circRNAs can lead to 'aberrant PKR activation and autoimmunity'.

shak8, EndME and Trish like this.
  9. Hutan

The 2023 ME/CFS study has been done by a University of New South Wales team (Sydney, Australia). The supervising author (Michael Janitz) has a German connection also.

Sadly, this paper isn't open access. The snippets suggest that the team may be new to ME/CFS and have some ideas about it that are slightly odd. For example,
    That's a surprising reference to use for PEM, and the definition isn't really right. And, it's the first I've heard of the Three Pillars idea - I don't think we've seen much evidence to support the HPA axis idea or the endocrine system being central in the pathogenesis of ME/CFS. And they are out of date with the criteria they cite. I don't think it's accurate to say that there are autoantibody and oxidative stress biomarkers. These things are not a big problem if the authors are experts in circRNA. It just suggests that they aren't very well informed about ME/CFS, maybe they just put in what came up when they googled, and so they might possibly put an unusual interpretation on any circRNA findings.

They do dismiss the idea of ME/CFS being psychogenic, so it looks as though they mean well.

Sean, RedFox, Grigor and 4 others like this.
  10. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Fortunately the people who did the original research and provided the data this was based on do, I assume, understand ME/CFS and how to diagnose it, since several of the Workwell team including Staci Stevens and Mark VanNess are co authors of the original data, so I assume they diagnosed the patients and did the 2 day CPET.

The patients in the original study were all female, so this data comes from an all female sample. Given differences being found in other studies between male and female biomedical results following CPET, it would be good if any replication studies used both male and female patients and included separate analyses of results.

Hutan, SNT Gatchaman and EndME like this.
  12. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought the same as I read through. I ended up with quite a few highlighted sections I thought interesting.

Complementing what @Hutan said above —

Joining the 5' and 3' ends to form a loop or circular form means that those ends are unavailable to promote degradation, so they survive longer in plasma —

ME patients have more circRNAs (including uniquely expressed). Controls showed an increase following the exercise challenge, while levels in ME patients remained statically elevated —

They used the term "uniquely expressed" as a subset of "differentially expressed" when a circRNA was only seen at all in one condition (ME or HC) rather than present in both but at higher levels in one —

HCs increased the numbers of uniquely expressed circRNAs in the days following first CPET. However ME patients consistently had more uniquely expressed circRNAs.

Hutan and Trish like this.
  13. SNT Gatchaman

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 9.44.06 PM Large.jpeg

Day 1 baseline (2 hours pre-CPET #1) at top left shows ME overexpress circRELL1.

Referencing Exosomal circRELL1 serves as a miR-637 sponge to modulate gastric cancer progression via regulating autophagy activation (2022, Nature Cell Death & Disease)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    Hutan and Trish like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

Referencing The biogenesis and biological functions of circular RNAs and their molecular diagnostic values in cancers (2019, Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis)

Hutan likes this.
  15. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

On the function of NUPR1

This suggests circRELL1 is an indicator that cells are undergoing significant stress

Edit: or maybe that sensitivity to stress signals is being increased a lot.

sebaaa, obeat, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  16. SNT Gatchaman

Hutan likes this.
  17. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EndME, RedFox, SNT Gatchaman and 7 others like this.
  18. Hutan

Method
    I haven't got to the end of the paper yet.

I think the idea of this paper is really good. We now need it to be replicated in much larger samples, and tied to detailed data on activity levels and symptoms. I think we need samples to be taken periodically from each person and correlated with activity levels etc. CircRNAs are found in saliva too - looking in saliva might make multiple sampling easier.

I expect the next few years are going to see major leaps in the understanding of what the circRNAs do, and that will help us.

Crossposted with Grigor - Martijn sounds like a handy friend to have.

RedFox, sebaaa, Helene and 6 others like this.
  19. Creekside

But did whatever was measured in the CPET result in controls being rejected? What I was suggesting is a standard criteria for controls for ME research. Hmmm, even better: a carefully selected group of controls who are subjected to different factors (exertion, maybe injected with IL-6 or LPS, more sleep and less sleep, etc) whose data is available for any research projects. If you want to compare ME patients with controls for circular RNA levels after exercise, match your subjects exercise tests with what is available from the controls. If your research involves some factor that the control group hasn't provided data on yet, you can request they be tested for that (and compensated, of course).

This would be a big change (I think?) in how research is done, but it would save time and money and improve the quality of the results, since the control data would be consistent. Surely this is done in other sciences, such as climatology, astronomy, or seismology, using historical data.

20. Hutan

A problem is that it isn't that straightforward. People with ME/CFS have highly variable results on CPETs - that seems to be almost a diagnostic feature. When I did two CPETS, the first one showed that I had normal fitness, the second one showed that my fitness was well below normal.

So, which CPET would you choose to match controls on? If it's the first one, can you be sure that any activity in advance of the CPET, perhaps even just preparing to get to the clinic, hasn't affected the person with ME/CFS? For example, in the two days prior to my first CPET, I had prepared the house so that my son could cope for a few days on his own, shopping, filling the fridge with prepared food, I packed, stood in airport queues, flew to another city, chatted to the taxi driver, and settled into my accommodation. On the day of my first test, I stood by the roadside in the cold for 15 minutes waiting to be picked up. If things aren't explicitly controlled, there will be confounders.

Probably the best matching for fitness would be on something like step counts over a sufficiently long period and with clear directions about pre-test activity and diet. Probably you need to have people wear activity monitors in the days before, during and after the test to ensure compliance.

I agree there could be more use of standard control data, it would reduce costs and make research quicker. But protocols would have to be very specific and standardised. And I think there's probably always a need for some controls samples to be processed along with the patient data, to make sure the researchers haven't inadvertently introduced some factor that changes the results. I think ideally you'd have a matched control sample of 30 or so that is processed along side the patient sample, but you would also report against results for larger samples of healthy controls and disease controls. I don't think that's very different to what researchers try to do now; probably there is just a lack of comprehensive comparison data collected with standard sampling protocols right now.

I agree though that research funders should give more funding for producing benchmark metabolomic and proteomic data for healthy controls covering different ethnicities, ages, fitness levels and sex, including keeping anonymised data in public databases so that subsamples can be selected for tighter comparisons with disease groups.