1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A unifying theory for cognitive abnormalities in functional neurological disorders, Fibromyalgia and CFS (2018), Mark J Edwards et al.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by adambeyoncelowe, May 8, 2018.

1. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wait, what?

Little Bluestem, Inara and Sean like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Change just one word and the whole thing changes:

Functional cognitive disorder (FCD) describes cognitive dysfunction in the absence of a known organic cause.

Which is why they always leave that critical caveat out.

This is straight fraud.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Smacks of Nero fiddling while Rome burned.

4. Barry

Fully agree, and whittered on about this myself.

Inara, Sean, Luther Blissett and 2 others like this.
  5. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have seen this pick before still can't fathom what is meant by it

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

It's tripe, the stomach lining of, normally, cows I believe. In this context, the research is being described as tripe, which is to say something poor, worthless, or offensive.

7. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

my brain just sees four pieces of shammy leather lol

8. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can add the words “what a load of” in front of tripe...just posting the picture it’s my way to save valuable cognitive energy rather than spend it commenting further on time wasting piles of research garbage that are just designed it seems to waste everybody else’s time but stroke some overinflated ego for a small group of narcissists

Tripe although a source of protein is no substitute for a juicy steak. Tripe also smells like cow shit and is quite indigestible and you only resort to it when nothing better is around.

9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"What are Functional Neurological Disorders (FND’s)
    Functional Neurological Disorders (FND's) is the name given for symptoms in the body which appear to be caused by problems in the nervous system but which are not caused by a physical neurological disease or disorder. Health professionals sometimes call these disorders ‘medically unexplained’, psychosomatic or somatisation. We prefer the term ‘functional’ which just means that the body is not functioning quite as it should."
    https://www.sth.nhs.uk/services/a-z-of-services?id=115&page=293

10. Barry

@arewenearlythereyet likes his tripe :)

Luther Blissett, JohnM and Andy like this.
  11. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's also the label more and more ME patients are being given. They don't realise they're being told their symptoms are psychosomatic!

12. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From as long ago as 1922 in the shell shock report the terms "functional nerve disorder", "neurasthenia" and "neurosis" seem to have been used in such a way as to suggest that they were synonymous and interchangeable.

13. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

there was a time in history when it was believed that similar looking embryos share most genes and have the same origin...

14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some people like tripe soup. :confused:

15. Inara

I simply LOVE this picture, @arewenearlythereyet! It so perfectly says what it's about.

16. Inara

That's what I learned early on: functional = psychosomatic - all in your head. Interesting, though, that many/some doctors call epilepsy a functional disorder. I don't understand that fully.

17. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You can have functional, non-epileptic seizures. But then 'functional' can also be used to mean what it actually means (as in, related to the 'function' of something). For instance, functional MRI does look at actual brain function. It's not a scan of pschosomatic brain matrices (I just made those up, but it probably fits the FND theory somewhere). So it is, indeed, a terrible muddle. But this is useful for doctors, because they can say one thing and mean another.

18. Inara

I see. Again muddle.

19. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Functional = another hijacked word by people who enjoy doublespeak

Little Bluestem, Hutan, mango and 9 others like this.
  20. Allele

Allele Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I remain appalled at the sound of crickets from the medical community about these hijackings and the non sensical musings behind them. Where is the outcry and the outrage? Why are people so ready to adopt these blame-the-patient theories? Oh, I forgot, illness, tragedy, and misfortune are the inherent failings of the person experiencing them.