1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A tissue level atlas of the healthy human virome, 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by rvallee, Dec 10, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Background
    Results
    Conclusions
    [​IMG]

Michelle, Forbin, EzzieD and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have known for decades. Nothing new here I am afraid. Hidden viruses were the explanation for everything when I was a kid sixty years ago.

Mij, Michelle, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  4. Tilly

Tilly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We what the hell happened for the medical profession to loose that understanding? Why haven't we got the ability to track and trace what happens and why with our autoimmune system and how did all that get blamed on anxiety.

I think there was a Canadian who was looking into tracking every virus you ever had which sounded to me like a jolly good idea but thought that would have been done decades before?

5. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So there's a chance my brain could be harboring tomato spotted wilt virus? :cautious:

Just as I've long suspected. :)

Michelle, TiredSam, Andy and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It wasn't an understanding. Lots of viruses were found and most of them shown to be irrelevant. The mistake was to think that every unsolved problem was due to a virus - and that mistake keeps popping up every time someone has a new test they want to sell.

We have the ability to track and trace, just incompetent administrators who allow pandemics that we know about to spread. None of this has anything much to do with autoimmunity as far as I am aware. The progress of the 1990s was to come to understand that there are other ways for things to go wrong apart from viruses.

7. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Free roaming bits of genetic material and the human genome what could go wrong :)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  8. rvallee

People presenting with Long Covid symptoms have been assured, nay insisted, that it is impossible for this to happen, that if the virus is undetectable then it's gone and it's silly to worry about whether it could possibly ever linger around. Which we now know is possible, found so far in the gut, brain and nose.

More controversial but I think just as relevant, the same is said to Lyme patients who experience the same, it's simply silly to even entertain the idea that pathogens could possibly survive a round of antibiotics (nevermind... hell, microbiology and the whole antibiotic resistance thing... but also the fact that most infected with Lyme are never detected and thus not given antibiotics to begin with). The fact above is not just disputed but subject to outright mockery.

So as much as this is known, it is also considered laughable in fact when the possibility arises in individual cases. It's one of those weird things that everyone seems to know but is simply impossible. Which is really weird to be honest.

This may be common knowledge but it has many interpretations and in common practice it may as well not exist, as Long Covid has adeptly demonstrated yet again. Or it's very selectively true anyway.

Art Vandelay and Peter Trewhitt like this.