Protocol A Proof-of-concept Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Rozanolixizumab to Treat [Adults] With Severe Fibromyalgia Syndrome, 2022-4, UK

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mister Person, Jun 28, 2023.

1. Mister Person

Mister Person Established Member (Voting Rights)

Ron, Milo, Hutan and 3 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

https://classic.clinicaltrials.gov/...df&type=Intr&cond=Fibromyalgia&draw=3&rank=11

Recruitment Status : Recruiting
    Actual Study Start Date : December 21, 2022
    Estimated Primary Completion Date : September 11, 2024
    Estimated Study Completion Date : September 11, 2024

Experimental: Treatment sequence 1
    Study participants on Treatment sequence 1 will receive rozanolixizumab and Placebo during the dosing period at pre-specified timepoints.
    Experimental: Treatment sequence 2
    Study participants on Treatment sequence 2 will receive rozanolixizumab and Placebo during the dosing period at pre-specified timepoints.
    Placebo Comparator: Treatment sequence 3
    Study participants on Treatment sequence 3 will receive Placebo during the dosing period at pre-specified timepoints.

Primary Outcome Measures :
    1. Brief Pain Inventory short form (BPI-SF) average interference score after 12 weeks of treatment [ Time Frame: After 12 weeks of treatment ]
      The short form of the BPI is a self-administered questionnaire used to evaluate the severity of a study participant's pain and the impact of this pain on the study participant's daily functioning. The BPI-SF assesses for the location of pain, pain intensity and functional interference from pain. The 7 BPI-SF interference items include: general activity, mood, walking ability, normal work (including housework), relations with other people, sleep, and enjoyment of life. Each item is rated on a 0 (does not interfere) to 10 (completely interferes) scale with a recall period of 24 hours. The arithmetic mean of the 7 interference items can be used as a measure of pain interference.

Locations

United Kingdom: Recruiting in Blackpool, Liverpool, Manchester, Stockton-on-tees, Tankersley,
    Sponsors and Collaborators
    UCB Biopharma SRL
    Investigators
    Study Director: UCB Cares

Milo, Hutan, RedFox and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

60 participant; quadruple blinding

Secondary outcomes
    I don't fully understand the rationale of the primary outcome. It's just seven questions on how much pain interferes with function, taken out of a larger questionnaire (the Brief Pain Inventory) that includes questions specifically on pain, at 12 weeks. If this was a BPS study, I would understand the rationale, as the idea would be that it doesn't matter if the person still thinks they have pain, what's important is to what extent they can ignore it in order to function. But here, it seems an odd measure to focus on. There is a secondary measure that looks at pain, but it is taken at 10 weeks. There is a Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire with 21 questions covering function, overall impact and symptoms which sounds good, but that is only a secondary outcome, measured at 10 weeks.

In terms of longer term effect, again it's just the pain interference measure at 24 weeks.

There aren't any objective measures, which seems surprising and provides no protection against the possibility that the nature of the treatment will make it easy for the blinding to be broken. I would have thought there would be regular blood tests, maybe to track levels of the antibodies, maybe to check for liver damage or something. I suppose not having any blood testing keeps costs down.

EndME, SNT Gatchaman and Trish like this.
  4. Mister Person

Mister Person Established Member (Voting Rights)

I didn't quite think it that far, did Goebel paper provide a way to check levels of antibodies?

Also see the MG study, same thing no objective measure but a measure of daily activity
    https://classic.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03971422

RedFox and Hutan like this.
  5. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The drug rozanolixizumab has been FDA approved for myasthenia gravis for improvement in symptoms. The trade name is Rystiggo.

During the trial for MG, the dose was delivered sub-cutaneously. I don't know what the dose range will be for the FM trial.
    However, there were adverse events in the MG trial. These include aseptic meningitis, serious infections at 4% of participants (including some pneumonia deaths, some due to covid).

Prescribing info from UCB: https://www.ucb-usa.com/RYSTIGGO-prescribing-information.pdf

As for assessing a decrease or no change in FM pain and fatigue, I would have to invent a software program and run it daily on a participant and graph the results (which vary highly day to day, week to week).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    obeat, NelliePledge, Trish and 3 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox, shak8, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  7. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Haven't read above ---!

I assume myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease (acetylcholine receptor auto-antibody)? If this drug worked on myasthenia gravis then the assumption is that some/all fibromyalgia is an autoimmune disease? Auto-antibody target in fibromyalgia?

Interesting if it works, but do they have objective outcome measurements [like measuring a biomarker ---] --- guess it's blinded, so that would go some way to assist i.e. if the outcome measurements are not objective.

EDIT - I assume the drugs main advantage is that it's "safe and well-tolerated" i.e. compared to other autoimmune drugs/treatments?
    https://link.springer.com/article/1...r (FcRn,degradation, leading to IgG depletion.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
    RedFox likes this.