1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Messiah in the Norwegian health system? Lightning Process and the Norwegian medical establishment - Blogpost by Nina E. Steinkopf (2019)

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Kalliope, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If anyone wants to share their thoughts and join a debate on social media. The Norwegian Public Health Institute is tagged in the tweet.
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1178736110203211776

inox, Annamaria, rvallee and 3 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would say well done by Nina E. Steinkopf, although I do not know all the details of this.

I admit that I haven't read up with everything on the Lightning process, for the simple reason that I thought this was so self-evidently absurd, it would not be taken seriously.

The fact that Per Magnus co-wrote an article with Live Landmark (a journalist) promoting LP in the Norwegian Medical Association is really puzzling to me.

inox, alktipping, rvallee and 11 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The NPHI looks like an absolute disaster for patients. To me, it seems that it's allowed some quacks to become their 'CFS experts', and now the whole system is committed to standing up for them while pretending that they're defending science in the face of anti-science activists.

inox, alktipping, Annamaria and 7 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Escalation of commitment never ends well. A pointless mediocre ideology has somehow forced health authorities in several countries to commit themselves to promote and defend quackery rather than admit the obvious. For something that has the exact same basis of evidence as astrology. Accountability can't come soon enough. Meanwhile vulnerable sick people are the only ones paying the price for this folly.

The need for unalienable rights to health care could not be more obvious, mirroring principles of a justice system with due process, appeals, transparency, etc. The premise of the system is that physicians are infallible, despite being obviously wrong. This is just a symptom of a system with broken incentives and little to no oversight. Fixing this one problem won't be enough.

5. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's all about cost saving as I see it. Drastically cut down on the obvious costs, whilst totally ignoring & rejecting any consequential costs. Situation normal.