1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Future Without ME/CFS: True causes and effective treatment strategies. Seminar with Dr Dietrich Klinghardt plus guest speakers. 15th Feb 2020

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Andy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Look at slide 5 of Myhill's talk, and tell me why she should be allowed to claim (as if with total conviction and authority) that ME = CFS + Inflammation. Just a nonsensical equation.

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She would only be doing what everyone else has done and created definitions to suit her own views. She probably has as much right to do that as anyone else. There is no obligation to agree with her

Cheshire likes this.
  3. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Yet the issue is that people are buying products and services from her based on her assertions - that is a different situation to researchers forming a theory and testing it to see if they are right or not.

4. chrisb

The NHS is buying quack therapies from quack experts based on the definitions they all use. It seems to be, as always, a matter of caveat emptor

5. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Exactly this. Everything is presented as though it is fact. There are many hypotheses in the literature but they are presented as models and/or frameworks and backed up by some sort of evidence. Very different.

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I'm confused. Are you arguing for us to just accept the situation on the basis that everyone is doing it?

7. chrisb

You know that we are on the same side. I just think that it is necessary to be aware of contrary arguments and express the criticism in appropriate terms.

8. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For those of us who have been around for a few decades, we can actually identify which years this "breaking news" originated from :rolleyes: I think we can now refer to this as retro-quack-medicine.

9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's becoming depressing. Recently there have been a few incidences of people making reference to something that could make a significant difference. Then I realize, nope done that, have the t-shirt, didn't work as originally advertised many years ago.

It feels like a merry go 'round, or like one of those sushi bars where people can just help themselves. Except it's not literally food they're helping themselves to, it's the content of our thin wallets being raided as the predators gather round and eye us speculatively.

The craftier ones lurk where the conveyor comes out of the kitchen, plucking the freshest, juiciest newbies....

10. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s because big pharma is keeping all the other researchers from finding stuff. Only brave and noble alternative medicine practitioners are able to find the truth free from the evils of capitalism! They will show you what they’ve found for only $999, finance plans available.

oldtimer, Trish, Perrier and 3 others like this.
  11. Perrier

Perrier Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, it's actually seriously depressing and really alarming. Do these folks not follow the research? And it makes me feel that whatever progress has been made has not really floated up to the surface for some reason. This is truly worrisome.

Andy and Invisible Woman like this.
  12. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, these folks interpret the research their own way, pick and choose whatever makes sense to them and their business. Their goal, making money and gaining influence to gain more money.

Mij, Perrier, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.
  13. calande

calande Established Member

This doctor is not trustworthy. Avoid.
    :emoji_thumbsdown:

Perrier and Trish like this.