A big red complaints book an idea for ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS discussion' started by bobbler, Dec 31, 2023.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just had the following pop up on social media: Jonathan Yabut - We just finished Part 1 of our Lisbon trip and... | Facebook

It is nothing to do with ME/CFS but had a photo that drew my attention into reading it and I couldn't help ponder when I read the following:

"Meanwhile, I've learned that establishments like stores and restaurants in Portugal are required by law to keep a "Complaints Book" aka Livro de Reclamações. It's a red book accessible for customers to write down their grievances so they can document them for future (potential) legal settlements. It's also accessible for people to simply read.

This is probably the reason why Portugal (from my experience) has the best hospitality in Southern Europe as I notice people are more polite and accommodating (if you've been to Paris or Barcelona, you will understand what I mean [​IMG]). Quick Disclaimer: as I don't want people to misinterpret my intention--this is not to say that Portuguese folks are only nice just because of this. I do think that naturally they are simply pleasant folks!). But going back: when you have issues, you can tell the establishment---"I'd like to write something in the Complaints Book" and they will probablt settle it with you amicably so you don't write it down."

Would having something like this, where it wasn't surveys written by those running the service but an open comment that couldn't be 'curated' or edited be something that for 'behavioural' ie non-drug therapies that aren't covered by yellow card and licensing regs on harms be a sensible alternative?

That perhaps has to be online, so that when harm hits people can report it remotely, and so that people can access it before attending clinics etc and in a form with regs that mean it cannot be used to be held against people (and can be pointed to as the source of 'beef' if retaliation does happen)

I'm sure there would be a lot of pushing people to say the right thing with 'communication techniques' at the time telling them they'll feel much better, but an open book that has to log things that happen or are consequences of those things.. seems basic. ?

EzzieD, alktipping, Ash and 8 others like this.
  2. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes! I'd love there to be a TripAdvisor for BPS therapies.