1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 23rd March 2020 can be found here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

3 day fasting to reset immune system

Discussion in 'Other: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; GcMAF' started by Dechi, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Why would you do that? It can be very dangerous. The only 'dry fasting' I've found that has been researched was intermittent dry fasting during Ramadan when people don't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset for a month, but they can eat and drink after sunset every day.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/dry-fasting

According to the article, dangers, even for intermittent dry fasting, include:

Gigi300, JohnTheJack, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  2. sb4

sb4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

At the time I had no idea what was wrong with me so it was the last thing to try on my list out of desperation. I knew I felt worse after eating so speculated something was wrong with my gut and thought giving my gut a rest might help.

@Wonko I think only people who are severely underweight, have malnutrition, or other serious complications would die from 30 days of no food. I was relatively thin going in and still had decent amount of fat at the end. Of course there is re feeding etc to worry about also but I should imagine it would have taken at least 3 months before I starved to death.

3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was put on a strict exclusion diet to try to work out allergies. I can't remember now exactly how long I was supposed to be on it, but my weight plummeted and I was taken off it early - possibly 4 weeks in.

I was still eating 3 meals a day plus snacks.

Dechi likes this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No food is not the issue, people can live for several months without food.

But no liquid - the kidneys need a constant throughput in order to detox the blood, and excrete a fairly fixed volume per hour - if this isn't replaced, by drinking, or as liquid gained from food, then all sorts of problems occur.

Urban legend, and google, tends to suggest that 3-4 days is the maximum a healthy adult can survive without liquid. The only cases of people going 7 days seem to be in deliberate attempts to kill people (e.g. in cases of terminal illness where the doctors are prevented from using drugs to end someone so choose to withdraw all 'treatment' instead), and I haven't seen reports of anyone lasting longer than 7 days in such a situation.

Which doesn't mean that some people don't last longer, it's just that if they do they are outliers and it would be 'unsafe' and unwise to assume that a typical person could, let alone someone with ME.

My understanding is that there are significant risks associated with not drinking, at the same time as not eating, far more risks than with simply fasting.

5. sb4

@Wonko I agree that not drinking is far more risky than not eating. I speculate that being bloated going in and not bloated at day 7 means that my body had extra water to use than a regular person. On the final day of dry fasting I began getting pins and needles in my limbs, my heart would start skipping and palpitating in a different way from my usual symptoms and I felt very off. So I figured it was a good time to end it.

One thing I still find confusing is that I drank a 330ml bottle of water and could still feel and hear the water swishing around in my stomach. I have mild gastroparesis but this has never happened with water. Perhaps my GI was asleep. Maybe if my body had absorbed all that water at once it would have messed up my electrolytes and caused big problem so my body decided to only let minimal amounts through? I don't know.

Interestingly enough with this fast I would still get my post meal symptoms but even with plain water. I took pictures on my phone of my stomach being flat, then very soon after drinking a cup of water my stomach would bloat out on the mid left abdomen only. I would get heart pounding and feel crappy in this time. This happens when I eat but it was an eye opener to have it happen when just drinking plain water. This is when I realized that the fast was probably not going to work.

Invisible Woman and Wonko like this.
  6. andypants

andypants Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Dechi

Fast went really well for about 44 hours, after that I started getting the slight stinging feeling in my muscles that doesn’t feel right somehow. It could be nothing, but it’s something I never experienced before ME and obviously I don’t want to take any risks. I carefully eased back into eating over the next few hours. I got a little PEM the day after, another sign I overdid it slightly.

Around 36 hours seems to be a good target for me. Effective, but feels right and easy to do. I did one yesterday to test my theory and it went very well. No PEM today. It’s also short enough that I don’t need to take any special care when eating again which is good. I will try doing these shorter fasts more frequently and see if that still feels ok.

Dechi likes this.
  7. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to clarify here.... you went 7 days not drinking or eating anything at all? And then did a further 23 days with no food at all and just a glass or 2 of water each day?

Barry, sb4 and Dechi like this.
  8. sb4

Yes that is correct. I didn't much like the idea of fasting so I wanted to get both dry fasting and water fasting done to a degree where I could be sure whether they worked or not. Unfortunately for me they did not but at least I could put the idea to rest.