2023: looking back on a year of ME/CFS research

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Dec 19, 2023.

1. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We've written a review of the most interesting ME/CFS studies of 2023. Would be interesting to hear if we missed any important studies that should have been included.
    https://mecfsskeptic.com/2023-looking-back-on-a-year-of-me-cfs-research/

This was quite a lot of material to process so there are likely some errors in the text. Feel free to let us know if you spot any - will update the text asap.

ahimsa, FMMM1, sebaaa and 34 others like this.
  2. tmrw

tmrw Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! Looks like a lot of work.

3. RaviHVJ

RaviHVJ Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much - this was a very enlightening read. Seems like there were more ME/CFS studies of value this year than last year. I'd be fascinated to see a similar post done on this year's Long Covid research, though that may be a rather tall order given how many Long Covid studies seem to be published (quite a few of which seem to be of questionable quality, making it difficult for non-experts like myself to sort the wheat from the chaff).

FMMM1, Joan Crawford, MeSci and 15 others like this.
  4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That must have been a bit of work!

I thought the research by Rob Wüst's team interesting as well (finally someone looking at muscles and metabolites w.r.t. PEM!), even though the majority of it hasn’t been published yet (some of their work was published here and other parts have been discussed at conferences and subsequentially here and here). I also thought their letter on PEM was nice to which @Grigor contributed, as well as Knoop, Rosmalen and friends loosing some of their superiority to colleagues that have newly entered the field and publicly criticised them (even though I don't see anything changing due to the lack of funding for biomedical research). As horribly dissapointing ZonMW in the Netherlands once again has shown to be, stichtinglongcovid has been the exact opposite.

I have to say the Prusty findings would have been a massive disappointment for me, had I expected anything close to what was "promised" online. For now the research in Germany seems to be essentially only focused on GPCR-aabs, will that change once the results come in next year?

Overall, a rather dissapointing year, especially in the LC field with the very large majority of LC studies being of extremely questionable quality. It seems some LC researchers have finally begun to understand that it doesn't make any sense to study the heterogeneous effects of anything happening 4 weeks after a viral infection all bundled together, but has this realisation come too late with funding drying out?

Apart from viral persistence in LC (which I'm not too hopeful about) I can't say there's much US research I'm looking forward to in the upcoming year. With the UK looking ever grim, the DecodeME study at least provides some hope.

obeat, Binkie4, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  5. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paul Wang -> Paul Hwang (Ping-yuan Wang is the first author)

Binkie4, alktipping, Dolphin and 3 others like this.
  6. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks!

7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you! This looks excellent and I'm looking forward to read it more thoroughly when the brain fog eases.

EndME, Binkie4, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  8. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is your usual brilliant work and fabulously helpful to someone too ill to follow research much this year. Thank you.

Comments rather than corrections:

Just a note that the study did include an extensive questionnaire to check if people met IOM criteria and/or CCC according to symptoms, inc PEM. However, everyone who completed the questionnaire was included in this initial analysis, regardless of whether they met the criteria.

This is a good point.

Re the CDC prevalence finding of 1.3%

Yes, and the sex ratio was also much lower (63% female).

Note that DecodeME primarily recruited from social media, mostly 'organic' (via networks, not paid) so will have recruited heavily from the ME/CFS online community, rather than from a broad national sample like the CDC. I suspect there would be less confusion over 'chronic fatigue' within the MEcfs community.

Nurses cohort study
    That's very interesting. Being female didn't seem to be a risk factor for MEcfs vs chronic fatigue, which surprised me, but I only glanced at the paper - was there anything there?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    FMMM1, sebaaa, EndME and 11 others like this.
  9. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Differential Cardiopulmonary Hemodynamic Phenotypes in PASC Related Exercise Intolerance.

Late LC entry from today but gets 5 stars from me and makes it in to my top papers for the year. You might prefer to hold it over til next year :)

1. Shows abnormalities with iCPET when all other tests had been normal.
    2. Dismisses deconditioning as an explanation and in fact shows the opposite in patients.
    3. Shows peripheral oxygen extraction is the problem.
    4. pEO2 decrease could be due to failure to direct blood flow appropriately, or capillary-to-mitochondrial diffusion inadequacy.
    5. Their prior paper suggests the latter: a problem getting O2 from capillary to muscle and using it appropriately in the mitochondria.

EndME, Amw66, Solstice and 7 others like this.
  10. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I appreciated your summary and there's a decent amount of good research here. I'm surprised you listed the home-based testing and FUNCAP questionnaire as honorable mentions--I saw them as pretty significant. The home testing study found that doing cognitive testing made pwME exceed their anaerobic threshold, which seems very significant.

hotblack, Simon M, bobbler and 5 others like this.
  11. ME/CFS Skeptic

The main reason is that it was a feasibility study with only 17 patients and no controls so I do not have high confidence in the results yet. The methods used however look like an important step in the right direction.

hotblack, Simon M, Amw66 and 3 others like this.
  12. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You're right, I saw that later. Still, that really needs reproduced.

bobbler likes this.