1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Psychology Today article discusses overcoming CFS through dealing with stressful situations from past.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by BeautifulDay, Nov 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

How do we educate all the doctors who believe ME/CFS is psychosomatic?

In this Psychology Today article from 2016 "Explaining the Unexplainable: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", Howard Schubiner M.D. states that:
    "It is my opinion, and the opinion of a group of physicians and mental health professionals, that there is a reason for this suffering; and that there is an effective treatment option. When there is no clear medical reason for chronic fatigue, whether you call it chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID), it is likely that the symptoms are actually caused by the brain and that this is a reversible process rather than a structural disease of the body or of the brain. Most people (and most doctors) don’t really understand how this can happen, but our brains have tremendous power and can produce exactly this combination of symptoms. There is a tremendous inability to see or understand this point of view but before you get upset with me and stop reading, let me explain."

Here is how this doctor treated one patient with ME/CFS:
    "It took several years for Michael to figure out that his fatigue and pain were not caused by a prolonged infection or by a physical disease process. When he fully embraced the idea that it was his brain and yet not his fault, he was able to face the symptoms and work through them. This is obviously not easy work. It takes courage, commitment, and strength. Michael also began to face some of the stressful situations that had occurred in his life and addressed them as best as he could. And this approach worked for Michael."

He concludes with:
    "Research on the function of the brain shows that the brain definitely has the ability to create real, physical symptoms. As this knowledge disseminates, there will be more people who recover from chronic fatigue and other associated chronic symptoms that have defied accurate diagnosis and effective treatment."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ng-the-unexplainable-chronic-fatigue-syndrome

Philipp, Inara, ladycatlover and 5 others like this.
  2. Revel

Revel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, you know that somewhat crude saying about "opinions" . . . :cautious:

rvallee, ladycatlover, Barry and 4 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The conversion theory of physical symptoms is obviously a strongly held belief by many clinicians, psychologists and psychiatrists, but has anyone ever demonstrated scientifically that it ever occurs?

Also its advocates don't seem to come up with a predictive theory as to why it would result in distinct but systematically grouped sets of symptoms. If conversion based disorders are real entities it is reasonable to ask why for some people it results in ME for others IBS for yet others POTS etc, and also to ask why it failed to predict the physiological bases of such as MS or ulcers that were previously believed to be conversion symptoms?

Also any theory needs to explain the symptom patterns found in distinct syndromes; most proponents though claiming psychological conditions are 'real' do not accept that the symptoms of a conversion disorder are 'real' rather they are seen as irrelevant to understanding or managing the condition.

[Schubiner asserts there is proof but only links to theoretical discussions and opinion pieces, at best post hoc justifications based on others observations rather than experimental testing of predictive hypotheses.]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Anna H, MEMarge, alex3619 and 10 others like this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Where are the data? What percentage of your patients recovered? Did you do a clinical trial with a strong methodology that backs up your claims?

MEMarge, sea, alex3619 and 12 others like this.
  5. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are reports today of someone who registered in the UK in 1995 and practised as a psychiatrist until 2016 and nobody noticed that she had no qualifications until she was investigated by the police. That surely tells us something.
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46258687

MEMarge, Sisyphus, alex3619 and 10 others like this.
  6. BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay Established Member (Voting Rights)

That's shocking and definitely cause for concern.

7. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well it's right there in the title isnt it.... 'Explaining the unexplainable' - the usual arrogance that you see in the medical profession which thinks anything which has not yet been fully be explained, simply cannot be explained, because all there is to know is already known. Really? why are text books revised then?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: we wish!

"oooo they wont like that, i'd better cushion it a bit with a pat on the head - dont worry dear you're only upset with me because you just cant understand such things."
    I understand perfectly well, you ignorant, patronising ****.

I'm sorry that's rude but i am losing patience with it all.

If you keep conflating CF with CFS then you are the one who has an 'inability to understand'

TiredSam, MEMarge, alex3619 and 11 others like this.
  8. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, so stop thinking that nothing can go wrong with how it works. It infuriates me that it is acknowledged that blood clotting needs a long sequence of steps each of which can go wrong but anything in the brain must be caused by wrong thoughts.

There's our problem. We are sinners who must repent, lazy beggars who need to become heroes. It is all our own fault.

I have followed this since I was a biologist in 1972 and never seen any plausible theory. I can't remember ever seeing a theory actually though that could be my memory, just lots of assertions. Even if someone gets better by changing their thoughts or finding what is making them stressed, that is not proof that their thoughts caused the disease unless there is a biochemical theory of what changed. Anything else is just a correlation and gives no clue to causation.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Philipp, MEMarge, Sean and 12 others like this.
  9. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I find this infuriating, especially when real brain research has be so under funded in ME. It’s only in the vacuum of solid proven abnormalities that this arrogant waffle can exist. Do the PET scans to see if we do have serious microglia activity before waffling On about function and implying psychological cause.
    We can only educate stubbornly stupid drs by showing the biomedical research already done , getting better research done on a large scale (the bps do large studies whilst we do inconclusive 15 people ones) and hoping evidence becomes incontrovertible. Pointing out the inflammatory / immune symptoms is important to me because theses type people think they have answers to fatigue and pain as generated in the brain but that’s missing half the picture for many. that is not to say the brain isn’t involved

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of course! I get it now. I was saying it all wrong. It's Leviosa, not Leviosaaaa. Years lost and it was so simple all along.

It's them spooky unexplainable symptoms. Not like this ever happened before, something we didn't understand and managed to understand by doing this "research" thingy. Literally not a single example of this happening in the whole of history. Nope.

11. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

For me the question is: Although there are no objective proofs, why does this pass judges and legal cases?

rvallee and BeautifulDay like this.
  12. Philipp

Philipp Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There must be some truth to this, don't judge! I've had (in retrospect) a remarkably uneventful magical carefree life until I caught mono. Afterwards everything was suddenly unbelievably hard. This is an event from my past that was pretty stressful to deal with I guess. I fully accept that this entire situation is not my fault and probably something in my brain, although I just kinda assume the last part and am very open to the possibility that the brain is just an endpoint.

Just how exactly do I work through that now? Why is the interesting part always skipped in these articles!? I am literally on the edge of my seat. Figuratively speaking. Because I am literally sitting on a ball that has no edges but tilting it forward to reach my keyboard. But I digress.

Now if I had learned not to trust people when they appear to just make stuff up, I'd obviously ask for citations. Especially since deducing that if there is no clear medical reason for a symptom it must be due to some clear medical reason, i.e. the brain misfiring in some way, just seems like something that was made up by someone as he went along. And super-double-down-especially if it is claimed to be a reversible process, but the part on how to reverse it is conveniently skipped and you're just left with some 'address some of you issues, man, like, the best you can, bro'.

Well, wow. I always assumed my brain is a potato powering my magic energy levels, but if it can actually do real, physical stuff, how are my arms moving? What part of me is actually typing right now if it is not my heart and soul just pouring wisdom all over the internet? Brb I gotta rethink my life and outlook on reality k thx bye.

Next thing you're gonna tell me we're not actually perceiving the world directly but rather constructing it via a physical processes that rely on interpreting and translating input. Whoa. Like, dude.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Umm, obvious fail. Even with SEID you cannot miss PEM. I guess he didn't read the studies or diagnostic criteria, only the abstracts or something.

14. alex3619

Nope. Its about as proven as curses and demonic possession.

15. alex3619

Stanford's fasciculus brain abnormality was just confirmed by a Japanese study ( I have no link handy) - so there are now replicated findings of abnormal structural changes in the brain. Stanford has a follow-up study in the works.

16. alex3619

With one important change I might agree with this. We construct our understanding of the world. All our understanding is filtered through our physical and cultural limitations, including language. So we don't have a direct grasp of reality, and we are constantly learning if we want to stay ahead of a changing world.

17. alex3619

Now that is just a noob mistake. Clearly our brains are all turnips.

18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Clinical opinion is the lowest level of evidence in the Evidence Based Medicine rankings.

At best, basically worthless. At worst, highly prejudiced, misleading, and dangerous.

19. alex3619

Actually the issue here goes to biases. Its rife with bias, including patient selection bias, confirmation bias, and so on. So it might or might not be good for an individual patient, but generalising to a group is much more problematic. In any case the whole personality thing is highly controversial, and much of it is pseudoscience.

20. alex3619

Yes. Its why proper clinical trials are double blinded, and have a placebo control. The methodology has to be sound as well.