Trial Report “A Switch Went off in My Whole Body”: Lived Experiences of Fatigue and Post-Exertional Malaise in Long Covid, 2024, Sas

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Dolphin, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://abdn.elsevierpure.com/en/pu...-my-whole-body-lived-experiences-of-fatigue-a

Full text available here:
    https://www.researchgate.net/profil...and-Post-Exertional-Malaise-in-Long-Covid.pdf

“A Switch Went off in My Whole Body”: Lived Experiences of Fatigue and Post-Exertional Malaise in Long Covid

Corina Sas, Yojana Lotankar, Rosalind Adam, Katherine J Bradbury, Jonathan Cooper, Derek L Hill, Veronica Martinez, Daniel Powell

Research output: Chapter in Book/Report/Conference proceeding › Published conference contribution

Abstract

The growing HCI agenda on health has focused on different chronic conditions but less so on Long Covid, despite its severe impact on the quality of life. We report findings from 2 workshops with 13 people living with Long Covid, indicating the challenges of making sense of their physical, cognitive, and emotional symptoms, and of monitoring the triggers of post-exertional malaise. While most participants engage in pacing activities for the self-management of fatigue, only a few are aware of the importance of planning all their daily activities and routines in order to avoid post-exertional malaise. We conclude with design implications to support lightweight tracking and sensemaking of fatigue symptoms, novel data analytics for monitoring the triggers of post-exertional malaise and the worsening of symptoms, and support for self-management in order to prevent post-exertional malaise.

Original language
    English

Title of host publication
    Extended Abstracts of the 2023 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems

Keywords
    • PEM
    • Lived experiences
    • Cognitive Exertion
    • Triggers
    • Long Covid
    • Fatigue
    • Post-Covid Syndrome
    • Overstimulation
    • Post-exertional malaise
    • Body awareness
    • Stress

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Peter Trewhitt, RedFox, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have skimmed the article. The downside is they presumably only included mildly affected people, since it was done online in groups lasting 2 hours. Having said that, I like the fact that the authors describe the discussion with and between the people with Long Covid relating to managing activity levels to try to avoid PEM, without any of the sociological jargon and thematic analysis and interpretations we see with so many of these interview based articles.

Instead the focus was on reflecting the various ways people pace, the things they find most difficult and the strategies they use, and developing ideas of technology that could be used to help.

I think the article provides some thoughtful ideas on ways technology can be used to help with pacing:

paragraph breaks added to make it easier to read.