1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

YouTube videos: David Tuller on Tub Talks With Damon discussing ME/CFS and Long Covid, 2022,2024

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

David Tuller on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis on Tub Talks With Damon

Description:

David Tuller is an Award Winning Journalist, Professor, Activist. He was one of the first writers to discuss PrEP in mainstream press, and now he is advocating for the rights of those coping with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitie (#CFS / ME). Join us as we discuss his life, his causes, his commitment to advocating for medical information and dignity.

0:00 -- 11:11 -- David discusses what he likes about his body, appreciating chest hair, variations in gay men's erotic aestheticism through history.

11:12 - 30:14 - David outlines the definitions of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitie and the political / financial conflicts in research. Did Drothy Zbornak of Golden Girls help? How does he see the "gaslighting" of the CFS/ME community? How does Long COVID help patients struggling with similar symptoms?

30:15 - 44:15 How does David discern current medical understandings of CFS/ME versus the discussion of Epstein-Barr that Cher described in the 1990s? How might psychiatrists and therapists be harming their patients struggling with CFS/ME?

44:16 - 1:14:43 - David explains why he advocated for people to learn about #PrEP back in 2013. How did his experience of losing friends and partners to #AIDS inform his work today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmypuNbacE

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2024
    Binkie4, Trish, Mij and 14 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Just watched the whole video. Great interview and nice to get to know David Tuller even more. He provides solid information as always on ME, and explains well the key aspects in this complex saga.

Very gripping to hear about the AIDS epidemic and its unfathomable consequences for those caught in the middle of it.

dave30th, mango, Lisa108 and 9 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That was good, if a little different.

Conducting an extended serious interview in a bubble bath is one way to make it hard to forget. :laugh:

MEMarge, Chezboo, dave30th and 7 others like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That was fun with a lot of good info covered:thumbup:.
    I did worry towards the end that the water might be stone cold:woot:

shak8, MEMarge, dave30th and 6 others like this.
  5. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

i'm not sure my chest hair is of much interest to anyone, but he asked what I liked about my body, so I had to answer.

oldtimer, shak8, MEMarge and 8 others like this.
  6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I can't be the only one who has spotted the correlation between Dave appearing on video in a hot tub and his crowdfund meeting its target surely? Will this be something we can anticipate for next year as well?? ;)

oldtimer, EndME, shak8 and 17 others like this.
  7. dave30th

Ha! I did the tub interview a month ago, and Damon just posted it. Maybe he timed it to give me a final boost!

oldtimer, EndME, shak8 and 7 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Merged thread

David Tuller on Controversies and Compassion for Long COVID and ME/CFS on Tub Talks With Damon

A new interview with David Tuller on "Tub Talks With Damon".

They talk through a lot about ME, Long Covid and the psychosomatic approach to both.
    When asked if there are any anecdotes about things that can be helpful, Tuller recommends visiting Science for ME for its robust discussions :)

Also interesting to hear their conversation about psychotherapy as treatment approach for ME as the interviewer is a therapist who immediately gets it.

From the presentation of the YouTube video:

Award winning journalist / patient advocate David Tuller has been fighting for the dignity and rights of people living with Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) for years.

How does the emerging research on Long COVID help his plight? What can YOU do to help and support someone struggling with symptoms?

0:00 -- David shares what he likes about his body and thoughts about his chest hair. He then traces the medical gaslighting fueled by insurance companies that posited CFS/ME is a mental health condition.

10:19 -- David links data from Long-COVID to insights pertaining to CFS/ME. How has long-COVID helped medical researchers develop insights and understanding about CFS/ME?

20:23 -- Why is David disappointed in traditional medical journals?

29:43 -- What is causing Long-COVID? David explains four different hypotheses describing the impact of prolonged COVID symptoms. How do we seek to discern mental health trauma from physical illness?

38:42 -- David makes the distinction between CFS, ME, and Major Depression. How does inflammation complicate these symptoms?

50:02 -- What gives David hope in terms of finding treatments for CFS/ME? What advice would he give to doctors seeing patients presenting with symptoms of CFS/ME?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2024
    oldtimer, Sean, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Gosh, almost two years since Dave's last bath... ;)

oldtimer, Binkie4, Sean and 6 others like this.
  10. dave30th

No worries, I took "whore's baths" in between.

oldtimer, Binkie4 and Kalliope like this.
  11. Kalliope

For those like me who has never hear about that before and had to google, it means a quick sponge bath.

Great conversation, David and good to have some time when talking about these matters. Seems like you both were having a lovely bath :emoji_bath::emoji_bath:

dave30th, oldtimer and Binkie4 like this.
  12. dave30th

yes, but the water had gotten kind of cold by the end!!

mango, oldtimer, Binkie4 and 2 others like this.