1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well known people reported to have Lyme Disease.

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Patient4Life, Jan 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Justin Bieber reportedly has Lyme disease; suffered depression for a year by Heidi Parker - LymeDisease.org (Jan 8, 2020)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2020
    Simone, Andy, DokaGirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Lol i expect this to be a mess

3. Bombino

Bombino Established Member

The cnn web site also said he is recovering from mono. Sound familiar?

chelby, MEMarge, Andy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51041033

Dolphin and MEMarge like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Poor guy.

The mononucleosis part is interesting. Maybe he just has ME/CFS but ended up with lyme diagnosis by a quack after other doctors failed to diagnose his ME/CFS?

7. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see "chronic mono" mentioned on social media. $100 says he has ME/CFS but was given these diagnoses by an alternative health practitioner.

8. Hoopoe

It would be good publicity if he visits Ron Davis lab and turns out to have a positive nanoneedle test.

9. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think that would be a good thing. The nanoneedle is nowhere near providing anything useful clinically. Need bigger studies and replications first.

10. ME/CFS Skeptic

I would like to learn more about the 'chronic lyme' issue but it seems like a rather difficult subject to find the right material.

I'm mostly interested in basic epidemiology. Does anyone here on the forum know of any good follow-up studies of acute Lyme disease? A bit like the EBV-studies we have, but ideally with a control group.

@duncan

Hutan and Simone like this.
  11. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really, huh - what are the chances of getting Lyme and mono at roughly the same time?

Dolphin, lycaena, Marky and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bombino

It may be my imagination but there seems to be a connection between cfs and lyme. If your immune system is working properly you may never have symptoms from having lyme disease. Also, with a healthy immune system you can take antibiotics and that is the end of lyme disease. Ron Davis or the OMF said somewhere something to the effect that if you find an answer for cfs/me you have the answer for chronic lyme disease.
    So I think some of the money being invested on lyme disease should go to cfs. Otherwise chronic lyme will not go away.

MEMarge likes this.
  13. Hoopoe

It is undisputed that a portion of patients with lyme disease continue having symptoms after the infection appears to have been cleared.

What is disputed is whether this is due to continued infection or something else.

There are a variety of diagnostic tests that are inadequate, creating some uncertainty in whether someone has lyme or not.

This uncertainty is being exploited by labs and doctors selling their own diagnostic tests which they claim are more accurate but which seem to have a major problems with false positives. As result, a lot of people where nobody really knows what's wrong are told they have lyme disease.

There was documentary called Undercover in German Lyme Clinics in which all of the healthy people who sent their blood to one one these private labs were told they had lyme disease.

These fraudulent lyme tests are marketed to patients with illnesses that nobody can quite make sense of, like ME/CFS.

I don't know what illness Bieber has but I suspect he could have fallen for such a fraudulent test.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  14. ME/CFS Skeptic

Yes, that's sort what I would like to see the evidence of.

I've already saved the following studies:

Cairns et al. (2019) Incidence of Lyme disease in the UK: a population-based cohort study

Nowakowski et al. (2003) Long-term Follow-up of Patients with Culture-Confirmed Lyme Disease

Rebman et al. (2017) The Clinical, Symptom, and Quality-of-Life Characterization of a Well-Defined Group of Patients with Posttreatment Lyme Disease Syndrome

Willis et al. (2016) Long-term Follow-up of Patients With Lyme Disease: Longitudinal Analysis of Clinical and Quality-of-life Measures.

Kallish et al. (2001) Evaluation of study patients with Lyme disease, 10-20-year follow-up.

Wormser et al. (2015) Long-term assessment of fatigue in patients with culture-confirmed Lyme disease.

Shadick et al. (1994) The long-term clinical outcomes of Lyme disease. A population-based retrospective cohort study.

Seltzer et al. (2000) Long-term outcomes of persons with Lyme disease.​

Hutan, Dolphin, Andy and 5 others like this.
  15. Hoopoe

16. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is perhaps more accurate to have written, "It is undisputed that a portion of patients with lyme disease continue having symptoms after the infection has been treated with a conventional course of antibiotics."

That "portion" is widely acknowledged to be 10-20%.

Start googling around 1985 through today with names like Allen Steere and Dattwyler (these two for earlier to current) and Stricker and Middleveen and Sapi and Aucott for more recent estimates.

You'll find the estimates are all over the place. You'll also find that chronic Lyme was embraced by all concerned in the first decade following the dispatch of the first EIS agent to Lyme, CT back circa 1976 and the spirochete's identification by Willy Burgdorfer in the early '80's.

Allen Steere tried to make a tie back in 1994. I wonder how he proved that those previously demonstrated to have Lyme no longer did, but had CFS or Fibro instead?
    https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/91/7/2378.full.pdf

17. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Many consider this a political label. Case in point: The longest running study on chronic Lyme that I am aware of was started back in 1998 or 1999. For 15 or so years it was referred to as the Chronic Lyme study.

Toady, I believe that study remains ongoing, but it appears to now be called a Post-Treatment Lyme Disease Syndrome study:
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00001539

Patient4Life and Sarah94 like this.
  18. Bombino

Our loved one and some of her friends have travelled to many corners of North America getting years of antibiotics and every other treatment going for her chronic lyme disease and has not cured it. She is left with cfs or at least mainly cfs. She had mono a decade before that she never fully recovered from. But then the cfs worsened after lyme disease.

19. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

20. Hoopoe

People want to see a way forward and they don't like uncertainty and it's hard to accept that nothing can be done.

A person that is committed to an idea will also not easily abandon it and people don't like admitting that they fell for a scam.