1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's unclear whether related to Long Covid, though suspected, but this description sounds a lot like ME. However for unknown reasons, they are calling it Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which as best as I can tell is not a thing. There is something called Chronic Infectious Inflammatory Response Syndrome, also not a thing that seems identical to ME.

It seems as if they are calling it with a fake name simply to avoid the discrimination of calling it what it is. Lots of emphasis on stress, even though it's clearly they mean exertion. He seems to have rested and improved.

Oddly enough, a few years ago another star player (and my team's goalie) had what they called CFS. Unclear exactly whether it was accurate but the description seemed accurate.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1410244274986303488

Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    ahimsa, Hutan and Wyva like this.
  2. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

LOL, I have a third name for it. ;) Chronic inflammatory response syndrome, also not a thing.

I've learnt about it from the website of those doctors who are pushing ivermectin for long haulers (also for acute covid of course). They used it as another name for ME/CFS.

According to Mepedia:

Chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS) collection of symptoms which is also sometimes referred to as biotoxin illness, or mold illness, and was initially thought to be caused by mold exposure only. However, further research indicates bacteria, fungus and various viral infections are also implicated in the development of CIRS.[1]

CIRS is not an accepted diagnosis in standard health care, the illnesses it can cause such as infections or allergic asthma are.

It should not be confused with systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) which is a concept to describe complex pathophysiologic response to an insult such as infection, trauma, burns, pancreatitis, or a variety of other injuries.[2]

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Chronic_inflammatory_response_syndrome

alktipping, rvallee and Mij like this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oops, that's the one I meant. Corrected.

Also:
    What a mess. And dozens of new acronyms are being added and many more, all to say the same thing. This is maximum dysfunction, no one can figure anything out when basic vocabulary is so broken.

alktipping, Hutan and Wyva like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

After seeing the earlier posts about "Chronic Immune Response Syndrome" and wondering what it was I stumbled across this post on twitter.
    Quote from an article at theathletic.com:
    I'm not doubting his own experiences at all. Maybe, in his case, his condition is due to some pre-existing health problems and/or too much stress. Maybe, for him, COVID was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But it's weird that he thinks ALL OTHER post-COVID/long-COVID/PASC patients must have also had some pre-existing illness or stress vs. being healthy.

And I'm guessing he would think that about any post-viral chronic illness? (Maybe all chronic illness?)

5. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

7. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My sister has just sent me an article about this, commenting (she was watching the race): "He looked like s*** , we thought he was going to faint right there."

Unfortunately, many of these top sportsmen don't seem to take a (properly long) break from competing in such instances (at least early on). They often tend to push through and it's even more of a gamble from that on. (Söderling, Mario Ancic, Mark Cavendish, etc.)

Ariel, Wits_End, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Do we really want Piers Morgan on our side? He seems perfectly qualified to join the ranks of those who have spoken up for us only to become a complete liability and embarrassment later on.

Rain, SNT Gatchaman, Ariel and 8 others like this.
  9. Cheesus

Cheesus Established Member (Voting Rights)

I genuinely thought he was going to topple off the podium. He did NOT look good. I hope he can bounce back because he looked a bit wobbly at the end of Silverstone too.

When he got sick at the end of last year I feared it would end his career. He had not really recovered by the time he raced in Abu Dhabi and he looked super tired, but I thought he must have bounced back fully by the time the current season started. Alas, it looks like that was not the case.

There's a 4 week break now, then 9 races in 11 weeks in all corners of the globe. That would be intense even for someone in full health. I just hope he's alright.

10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It has only been 3 weeks for him, that's not "Long" Covid at all.

I wish him the best, its very likely that he will fully recover.

But he's often so unthoughtful and harsh with his words, it's probably better to not have him as an advocate.

Imagine he's doing the P Garner move and will later attribute his recovery to inner strength/discipline etc. With that big of an audience that could be very harmful.

11. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Piers Morgan's criticism towards Simone Biles withdrawing from her team b/c of mental health issues was vile.

12. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

worrying possibility that if piers morgan gets long covid, people will start lobbying for there not to be a cure

Arnie Pye, Helene, Wits_End and 2 others like this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Rock stars split over Covid vaccine

The Offspring drummer Pete Parada says he was dropped over vaccine refusal - BBC News

The drummer with US rock band The Offspring says he has been dropped from their forthcoming tour after refusing the Covid vaccine for medical reasons.

Pete Parada said a doctor had advised him not to have the jab because he has a rare autoimmune disorder...

Since childhood, the musician has had Guillain-Barré syndrome, where a person's immune system damages their nerves, and he said it had got worse over time.

For him, the risks of having a Covid vaccine "far outweigh the benefits", he said.

The drummer, who is in his late 40s, said he caught Covid over a year ago and only had mild symptoms, "so I am confident I'd be able to handle it again", he wrote.

"But I'm not so certain I'd survive another post-vaccination round of Guillain-Barré syndrome."

The condition has been listed as a very rare side-effect of the Janssen Covid-19 vaccine, while there has been a warning about a reported connection to the AstraZeneca vaccine, although that has not been confirmed.

Rock stars split over Covid vaccine

The Covid vaccine has proved particularly divisive in the world of rock music.

Stone Roses singer Ian Brown has been a vocal critic, promoting a number of baseless conspiracy theories but explaining that he has "a family member whose health was destroyed by [previous] vaccinations".

Guitar legend Eric Clapton has refused to play concerts at venues requiring so-called vaccine passports for entry, saying he had experienced a "severe" reaction to the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Richard Ashcroft, frontman for 90s rockers The Verve, pulled out of the Tramlines festival this summer after it became part of the government's pilot events programme, using the hashtags "#naturalrebel" and "#theydontownme".

But very few contemporary bands have spoken out against the vaccine, and other rock legends have encouraged their fans to have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2021
    Snow Leopard, sebaaa, zzz and 7 others like this.
  14. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't know if anyone here knows Joseph Arthur's music, but he has been posting a lot of anti vaccination content and conspiracy theories both on his Insta and on Twitter. Only seems to be intensifying. Having previously liked some of his music, it was strange to watch and interesting to watch the reaction of fans (mostly they told him to stop posting false information).

I empathize with not wanting to have the jab due to concerns about Guillain-Barré, and I hope it's not equated with conspiracy theories and so on - although the person may also be promoting that, I don't know.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  15. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The same is happening in Germany, e.g. with singer Nena ("99 Red Ballons").

I think the "culture industry" (music, theatre etc.) has been hit so hard by lockdowns that there's a lot of frustration and despair. Not only for the people on stage but also behind it.

I also wondered if celebrities are specifically prone to anti vaxx/conspiracy theories because there are so many now promoting that kind of stuff.

But maybe they're just louder and more in the media. We've had some go really, really crazy and of course it makes for good ratings to put them on camera.

Having said that I do think there are valid concerns and nobody should be shunned for not taking the vaccine.

Michelle, sebaaa, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  16. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping likes this.
  17. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Wyva, alktipping and Rain like this.
  18. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

According to Dr. Fauci, anyone with Guillain-Barré can't have the covid vaccine, so it wouldn't even be an option for this person.

19. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dismaying that most people just seem to not care about this kind of consideration and are being encouraged to believe that people are all lying or conspiracy theorists

20. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is so important that right from the start of any attempt to make anything conditional on being vaccinated or to produce documentary confirmation of vaccination status, this recognises there are valid reasons for some not being vaccinated and a mechanism for including this in any formal documentation.

It is worrying that those already marginalised with chronic health conditions could become further excluded by society’s failure to recognise that not everyone can be safely vaccinated.

I am personally not opposed to placing restrictions on the unvaccinated, as long as this does not exclude those with valid reasons for not being vaccinated. Though, given the evolution of the virus and the fact that vaccination does not ensure an individual is not a carrier (or even fully guarantee protection from death or Long Covid), testing remains an important factor in controlling the spread of the virus even in largely vaccinated populations.

Relying solely on vaccination is likely to ensure the virus becomes endemic in a population with the ever present threat of new vaccine resistant varieties. Personally, though vaccinated, I am continuing with mask wearing, social distancing and, though going out a little more, am avoiding ‘going in’, that is not going into anywhere I don’t need to and restricting who comes into my house. (I did go to a funeral recently, but was horrified at the low levels of mask wearing and that hymns were sung, so will not be so rash going forward.)

Also this is very much a first world problem and potentially a purely academic debate, when so many countries still have such low levels if vaccine roll out and globally such a large virus pool continues with potential for ongoing mutation.

[edited to improve clarity and accuracy]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021