1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Concerns about Cochrane

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Kalliope, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the planet zog, I suspect.
    She must like the way things are.

2. Jonathan Edwards

It is about a long-term pattern of behaviour that we say is totally, and utterly, at variance with the principles and governance of the Cochrane Collaboration. This is about integrity, accountability and leadership.

Yes, well, being critical is a pattern of behaviour that tends to go with integrity in this business.
    So maybe it is about integrity - but whose?
    As for leadership - where does that come in. Honesty has nothing to do with leadership.

epipnoia, Lisa108, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

They say bugger all, except that Gotzsche was 'behaving badly'.

The key bit seems to me to be:

All our staff, and our members, have the right to do their work without harassment and personal attacks.

Sounds familiar. Any criticism of standard of science is a personal attack it seems these days. The whole thing looks to be about complaints from staff about not being agreed with.

They have provided no reason whatever for an onlooker to think they have a justified reason for excluding G. G may be a nutcase for all I know but that is beside the point.

andypants, cyclamen, Skycloud and 9 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The statement from the board is vague and evasive. Not a good sign.

Inara, Sean, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah - I've just read it now and while I don't know the facts, just from a PR perspective that statement from Cochrane looked poor.

"The lawyer was asked to work to a deadline of the Board Meeting on Thursday last week, 13th September. And, we did in fact receive his preliminary report in time for that meeting. The report completely exonerated the member of the Senior Management Team but did not exonerate the other individual."

Didn't someone else say that the lawyer was not able to meet the deadline, and that his report did not find for or against the complaints about Gotzsche? The phrasing from Cochrane looks like a poor attempt at manipulation.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    andypants, ukxmrv, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Yup. It isn't a legal issue anyway, it is a moral one.

Hutan, Wonko, Trish and 2 others like this.
  7. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That statement from the Cochrane board really makes me uneasy. The process isn't finnished, Goetche is still a member and has 7 days for a written respons.

Then the board, any board, don't have any buisness with statements like: "This is about the behaviour of one individual." or commenting about the situation in this much detail, even trying to connect themselfs to MeToo : "We are living in a world where behaviours that cause pain and misery to people, are being ‘called out’. "

Even if Gotzsche behavior maybe, or maybe not, was bad - I'm finding the respons from the remaining board really unprofessional.

Binkie4, Hutan, Wonko and 1 other person like this.
  8. Graham

Graham Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Am I right in thinking that they still haven't responded to Bob's criticisms? If so, is it worth adding a comment that their reputation is very much under question?

Lisa108, andypants, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  9. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Inara, Binkie4 and 3 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

andypants, EzzieD, Binkie4 and 6 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

A very sane and perspicacious nutcase I think. Certainly not someone to expel from your board if already on it. At least he is up front about his position.

andypants, ukxmrv, Binkie4 and 5 others like this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

The irony is that an organisation that includes people who are prepared to, and allowed to, criticise the output of said organisation in public is exactly the sort of organisation that gathers trust. The expulsion is a PR disaster in exactly the terms they seem to have been trying to promote themselves on. It is a bit like Elon Musk rolling a joint on television.

andypants, cyclamen, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  13. inox

The video is uploaded in 2015, a year or two after his book "Deadly medicines and organised crime" came out - he was elected on the Cochrane governing board in 2017, it's not like his vews was a secret. My impression is this is probably mostly about doing his best to rock the Cochrane boat itself.

He's probably not to happy about this either...

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...cine-group-turmoil-after-expulsion-co-founder

Lisa108, Snow Leopard, Inara and 6 others like this.
  14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://community.cochrane.org/organizational-info/people/governing-board/governing-board-charter

It seems that the governing boards mandate is 'a commitment to impact' (their words)
    https://community.cochrane.org/organizational-info/people/governing-board/governing-board-charter

So the leadership may be holding him to account as lacking integrity if he is valuing other things over impact factors as they see this as the mission of cochrane -- which to me sounds exactly like brand enhancement is what they value most.

Inara, andypants, Hoopoe and 6 others like this.
  15. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

G has a long track record of highly reasonable, high quality publications.

He is becoming more critical as of late however.

This particular issue (the HPV review), he seems to be supporting a colleague simply because Cochrane is moving away from scientific debate and measuring quality, and moving towards preserving power in current medical institutions, with genuine questioning no longer possible (remind us much of any other Cochrane reviews?). That is why he is talking about "pluralism" in his letter.

16. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

17. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not in the scientific world (although impact counts, too) - of course depending on the field: in physics quantity was all (chemistry, too, from what I have seen), in maths it was more quality...It's not good in my opinion.

andypants, Invisible Woman and Trish like this.
  18. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

inox likes this.
  20. inox

Edit: I'm mistaken about this - read on to @Kalliope s post :)

----

Because he's not expelled yet. He has a week for responding to the remaining central/main board. Seems like no-one really knows what will happen to the leadership of the Nordic group if the descision is final, it's not just out of the board, but the whole of Cochrane he will expelled from. Is my understanding?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018