1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial By Error: Professor Jonathan Edwards’ View of ME (includes discussion of exercise and long-term harm)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Suffolkres, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting, but I think you said it best:

The metabolism of lymphocytes themselves can be quite different to the muscle too.

2. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I'm keenly aware that in a person there will be multiple types of energy conversion going on, in some sort of 'energy chain', whereas for a car it is primarily chemical to heat energy conversion.

MSEsperanza likes this.
  3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I feel quite desperate about it sometimes. I keep saying it but I feel like i'm 'shouting into the wind' sometimes. But lots of people with ME/CFS dx will then say they do feel overwhelmingly tired, & seem quite happy to use the term 'fatigue', so the point seems to get lost or considered unimportant.

ps, I love your avatar name :D

rvallee, Mij, NelliePledge and 3 others like this.
  4. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the early stages of PEM I have the opposite to fatigue. I feel 'wired', I have to pee every half hour, and I'm constantly throwing off and pulling back on blankets or clothes because I can't regulate my temperature. It's impossible to rest, let alone sleep. The fatigue only arrives when the immune flare is fading.

rainy, Sid, andypants and 13 others like this.
  5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it's helpful to be aware that many pwME don't seem to experience PEM (only) as worsening of daily symptoms, but (also) as another category of symptoms.

Also, I think, if differentiated from general fatigue, specific fatiguability can be a useful term for some symptoms occuring before PEM hits.

I tried to describe this here:
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/is-me-a-metabolic-problem-or-a-signalling-problem.10981/#post-196018

Edited to add: If I try to push through muscle stiffness, motor or cognitive fatiguability, sometimes funny things happen, and sometimes not so funny things; e.g. it's not unlikely that I escaped a fire by falling down the stairway.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    andypants, MEMarge and Kitty like this.
  6. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm exactly the same. Whenever a new study comes out, I often find myself yelling "STOP STUDYING FATIGUE!". I believe that a lot of 'CFS' research will prove to be a waste of time and funds because the 'illness' they're researching only exists in the minds of the scientific and medical community. Their idea of ME/CFS does not reflect what we are really suffering.

I have been guilty of telling people that I'm "tired" when I'm in the middle of a crash. I think I do it because "tired" is a one syllable word that does not require any extra explanation for a healthy person to understand. When we try to explain that we're "sick", there always seems to be a need for justification or further detailed explanation. These days however, I force myself to say I'm sick.

Thanks! I can identify with George as both our lives have turned out to be more disappointing than we thought they would ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  7. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

this

rainy, andypants, LorsP and 2 others like this.