1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tom Kindlon nominated for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Robert 1973, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last year I had the idea to nominate Tom Kindlon for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin, where he was studying for a degree in mathematics before severe ME/CFS forced him to drop out.

I shared my idea with a few people and the consensus was that it was worth doing but unlikely to succeed. After 3 months' work completing the nomination form and contacting people to ask for their support*, I submitted the nomination form just before Christmas.

[Edit: I meant to say that by the time I submitted the nomination form I was feeling much more optimistic after receiving so much enthusiastic support from so many academics, medics, patients, carers, advocates and charities.]

In January the Registrar informed me that the TCD honorary degree committee had met and decided not to proceed with my nomination:

I have attached a copy of the nomination form I submitted, with some personal details removed. I have also removed the individual endorsements that supporters send me as I have only just emailed them to ask for their consent to share their messages publicly. But I will add them to this thread when I have consent.

For convenience, here is the main text from the attached nomination form:

Many thanks to @Simon @Adrian @ME/CFS Skeptic @Jonathan Edwards and others who gave me useful feedback on my draft nomination form before I submitted it. Also, thank you to Natalie Boulton (Dialogues for ME etc) who secretly phoned Tom's Mum for me to get some of the personal information I needed, and also helped me to contact a couple of the supporters.

Despite the outcome, this has been a positive and rewarding exercise for me. My emotions were heightened when I was writing the text because my father, who had been my co-carer for 30 years, had recently died. Reflecting on all that has passed, documenting everything that Tom has done, and reading all the messages of support brought me to tears on several occasions.

It took a significant amount of my time for about 3 months but I don't regret it in any way. It was a labour of love and I was touched by Tom's typically humble, generous and positive response. I just hope that one day he, and others like Alem, Bob and many more, will get the recognition they deserve beyond the ME community.

Apologies to the numerous people on here and beyond who I didn't contact to ask for your support (although, some may find my emails in your junk folders). I'm sure I could have got many, many more supporters and endorsements, but my time and energy were limited and the process was made more difficult by the fact that I couldn't let Tom know that I was nominating him.

@Tom Kindlon will be reading, so please add your messages of support and appreciation for his work to this thread.

Finally, please remember this is a public thread. I therefore don't think it would be constructive for people to speculate about why the nomination was unsuccessful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  2. Robert 1973

Supporters listed on the nomination form:
    [Edit: I’ve put the list in a quote box to make it easier to scroll down this page.]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  3. Robert 1973

I will add all the endorsements here when I receive consent:

[Update: All the endorsements are now posted in a post further down this thread. There were too many to fit in one post.]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    ladycatlover, oldtimer, Ash and 18 others like this.
  4. Robert 1973

Message from Tom to supporters:

Robert Saunders sent me the email below. The nomination and everything associated with it are one of the nicest things to ever happen to me. I have been working from home effectively for 28 years so it can be lonely, particularly combined with the illness and its effects. As someone who doesn’t have academic qualifications, it has sometimes felt like a David versus Goliath battle. I have made a lot of sacrifices over the years so it’s great to think I might have made some impact and to feel some recognition for my work.

I particularly appreciate it as for many people who nominated me, it may have taken a bit of time to ponder on the nomination’s appropriateness, possibly discuss with others (e.g. for a group nomination) and in the cases where you wrote a text nomination, put together what you wrote. Thank you again.

Although I didn’t get the honorary degree, I did get to enjoy highlighting the nomination online with a message I shared online (see below) which resulted in some more nice comments and the all important likes!

I will forever treasure the nomination itself and the nice comments many wrote to support the nomination.

Thank you everyone most sincerely.

With best wishes,

Tom Kindlon​

Message that Tom posted on social media:

Thank you to everyone who nominated me for an honorary doctorate.

I received some news out of the blue yesterday. I learned that I had been nominated for an honorary doctorate (Sc.D.) from TCD by Robert Saunders, but the nomination was unsuccessful. However, I'm going to take it as a win: only a maximum of 8-10 honorary degrees are given each year with the guidance that "Nominations are sought for individuals of integrity, judgment and exceptional achievement whose acceptance of an honorary degree would add lustre to this university. Conferring of an honorary degree acknowledges an outstanding contribution to scholarship, society, culture and /or civil society. Nominators should explain why the candidate may be considered the best in their particular category." It's easy to see why others might be considered a better fit, especially for a doctorate.

But I have been very heartened that the nomination for little ol' me, who has never had a full-time job nor even finished my primary degree, received so much support from such an array of people from a variety of backgrounds [scientists, medical professionals and other academics (44); journalists, broadcasters and politicians (7); advocates, patients, carers and representatives of charities and organisations (21); charities and organisations (14)]. The 34 text endorsements from so many people I know and admire were particularly touching.

In recent years, I have largely stepped away from my academic work which consumed so much of my time and energy for over a decade, to focus on running the Irish ME/CFS Association along with trying to get a bit more balance in my life, so it gives me a lot of comfort to think that my input has made an impression. Also, hopefully it might encourage others to get involved and try to improve the science in the field, along with helping the ME community in whatever way they feel they are able. I recognise I have been very lucky to have had such great support from my family, particularly my parents, who have allowed me to focus my limited time and energy on the cause for over 28 years.

Hopefully in the future the science will have moved on permanently and absent a cure, all those affected by ME/CFS (and similar conditions) will receive appropriate advice and support and what might be called simplistic or even mediaeval attitudes will be a thing of the past.​

5. JohnTheJack

JohnTheJack Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for all your great work on this Rob, and for the excellent idea in the first place.

It's a pity the nomination wasn't successful, but it was very much worth the effort to try and in my opinion the wrong decision by TCD. In my view it would have been a well-deserved award.

6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm sad that Tom wasn't awarded the degree, but it's great to see so much support for the nomination. Thank you Robert for all your work on this.
    And huge thanks to our hero, @Tom Kindlon.

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shit.

With THAT list of supporters a 'no' has to have meant it was never going to be allowed.

I was made Professor on about a twentieth of that support.

I would recommend Tom to follow the example of our good friend Professor Norman Leighton, Professor Emeritus of Ancient and Modern History of the Leighton Collegiate of Historical Studies.

You can fill it in as you like (I was allowed to). It is all quite legal.

Professor Thomas Kindlon
    Professor of (.............fill in as required)
    Of the Kindlon Institute of (.........fill in as required) Studies

No sweat Prof.

8. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for doing this, Robert. Tom certainly deserves it as much as anybody ever did. :hug:

9. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

It was a marvellous idea Rob, and you executed it brilliantly.

Tom, your contribution to the ME/CFS has been, and continues to be, enormous, with your analysis and writing, your creation of an international network and your ongoing efforts to inform and motivate people.... If only all people with a PhD title were half as accomplished, influential and good as you.

10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From @MSEsperanza:

Just would like to add my huge appreciation for Tom for what he is and does. Not able to write much, but others, both in the comments collected by Rob and members here on the thread expressed it so well.

Thank you Tom.

Thank you Rob for the marvelous initiative.

And thank you to everyone involved / contributing their name and endorsement to that marvelous initiative.

So just one addition: Whenever I am able to do a bit of reading on BPS research on ME, it rarely happens that there's not a box popping up on my screen telling me that this or that paper has a comment on PubPeer, and if not the paper per se, but at least one of the paper's references had a helpful comment -- written by Tom:

https://pubpeer.com/search?q=Kindlon+Tom

(And from me: Well said!)

11. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you so much @Robert 1973 for your work here, and thank you so much @Tom Kindlon for all your work inspiring Robert’s nomination. Love you both :hug:

12. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tom's facebook page has details of the nomination to which I have added my thanks for all his work. Anyone else who is on fb may wish to contribute.

13. Robert 1973

Endorsements from supporters of the nomination in no particular order. [Not posted above because I couldn’t fit them all within the word limit for one post.]

"Tom Kindlon is an immensely impactful individual who has devoted his abilities to helping others. A precocious scholar whose formal academic career was tragically cut short by illness, he has never wavered in his dedication to advancing the scientific and medical understanding of ME/CFS, the condition he himself has lived with for thirty years. His knowledge of the area is exceptional and his appreciation of the relevant empirical and statistical methods is truly immense. Tom is also a thoughtful and considerate individual, passionate in his commitment to the most vulnerable. That he has accumulated such renown despite the severest physical debilitations is genuinely inspiring."

Brian M. Hughes
    Professor of Psychology, University of Galway

“Tom has an outstanding intellect. Not only does he show exceptional insight into the research questions he addresses, but he also has the rare capacity to apply a careful, measured approach to those questions. Tom never overstates his case, or tries to draw conclusions that go beyond what the data support. Tome is not driven by a desire for personal glory, but rather by a strong commitment to improving our understanding of MECFS, in order to better help and support those affected.”

Dr Carolyn Wilshire
    Senior lecturer, School of Psychology, Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University of Wellington, NZ

“Tom has done so very much for people with ME, a disease that took so much from him. So it’s timely and well-deserved if he were to receive this honour.”

Chris Ponting
    Professor of Medical Bioinformatics, University of Edinburgh

“Despite his condition he has been a beacon of sanity and understanding. His great contribution to the patient community is such that he is fully deserving of an honorary degree at TCD.”

Dr William Weir FRCP, FRCP (Edin)

"I have personally known Tom Kindlon for over 20 years and I endorse his nomination for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin. The award would be a recognition of his outstanding contribution to people suffering from myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), indeed, the illness has severely impacted Tom's own life, contracting ME while studying for a degree in mathematics at this very university. Tom has provided unwavering support to many individuals with ME within Ireland and indeed to a much wider global population of sufferers. His dedication is rooted in a genuine compassion for people who, like himself, have to cope with the unique struggles that their illness presents.

Tom has also made connections with many academics and researchers across the world. He positioned himself between academics and an online community of patients, assisting with research fundraising and also providing an invaluable service by interpreting and disseminating complex research data back to a population of people desperate for new developments. I was one of the researchers who benefited from Tom's generosity; I struggled to get research grants for what is, and remains, a contested illness but I was eternally grateful to Tom and others for their fund-raising efforts allowing me to complete several projects and to publish in peer-reviewed journals.

I firmly believe that Tom Kindlon is a deserving candidate for an honorary award. His contributions have made a real difference for an incalculable number of ME patients and, hopefully, he has set an example for others to follow. Recognising Tom's achievements would not only validate his own efforts but act as a source of inspiration for others who feel similarly disenfranchised.

Thank you for considering this nomination. I am confident that by honouring Tom the university will not only celebrate his unwavering commitment to improving the lives of an especially vulnerable disabled group but also shed light on a greatly misunderstood and enigmatic condition."

Dr Vance Spence
    Co-founder of ME Research UK

[continued in post below…]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  14. Robert 1973

Endorsements continued…

“Tom has been a beacon of light for many. He has been a spokesperson and advocate and has worked to ensure that the voices of people with ME are listened to and not forgotten. He has created a sustained social media presence that has benefited the whole ME community and recognition for this would be an honour for him which he will undoubtedly share with the community.”

Sonya Chowdhury
    CEO Action for ME

“I am in a unique position to endorse Tom for an honorary degree as I span the two worlds of patient advocacy and professional research into ME/CFS. My daughter has been ill with ME/CFS since the age of 17 and, like many with ME/CFS, has been abused by the system of medical care, despite my best efforts as a medical school professor.

It has been extremely difficult to negotiate and make progress in both worlds for me, and thus one can only be in awe of the accomplishments made by Tom. To be a patient and respected for both advocacy and research is a highly rare accomplishment. I have known Tom for somewhere between 20-30 years, and I consider ourselves as colleagues. Whenever I have a query of work being performed on the other side of the pond, I ask Tom and promptly get a response. I maintain ties to ME/CFS professionals in Europe, Asia and Australia. They all have degrees after their name. Tom has performed the same work as these other colleagues. I ask, "isn't it time to recognize Tom's work for what it is, and award him a degree for the work he has done and continues to do?" Clearly the awarding of an honorary degree is but modest recognition of the accomplishments of this extraordinary man!”

Kenneth J. Friedman, Ph.D.
    Adjunct Associate Professor of Medicine, Rowan-Virtua School of Osteopathic Medicine, USA

“I am writing to support the proposal to nominate Tom Kindlon for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin.

I do so in my position as Medical Adviser to the ME Association, where I provide clinical information for patients and health professionals and supervise all the research which the charity funds.

I have known and worked with Tom Kindlon for over 20 years.

During this time, and despite his own ill health, Tom has applied high quality academic vigour to the various papers he has authored or co-authored on the subject of ME/CFS as well as providing critical and constructive analysis of other research studies.

He has also played a key role in providing high quality information and support to people with ME/CFS in Ireland and creating educational resources for health professionals through his involvement with the Irish ME/CFS Association.

An honorary degree would provide well deserved recognition for everything he has achieved.”

Dr Charles Shepherd
    Medical Adviser to the ME Association

“Since before I had internet access Tom Kindlon's newsletters, both informed and offered hope to me personally, through the first decade of suffering with severe M.E., and distributing information directly to patients and carers is only one facet of his incredible work! As I learnt more about this debilitating disease, through Tom, he was my inspiration to form a patient charity in Northern Ireland in 2011.”

Joan McParland MBE
    Founder of the Hope for ME & Fibro charity in Northern Ireland

“Tom is highly organised and professional, and it is an injustice that he missed out on his maths degree due to ME/CFS. He has my absolute support in gaining an honorary degree. With academic rigour, he has made a significant contribution towards improving the lives of patients with ME/CFS.”

Miss Nina Muirhead BA(oxon) BMBCh(oxon) MRCS DOHNS MEd PGDipDerm

“Tom Kindlon is a leader in the global ME/CFS community; he has worked to improve the wellbeing of people with ME/CFS for several decades. He was a key person in initiating patient-led efforts to take a scientific approach to analyzing ME/CFS research. This resulted in publications highlighting substantial flaws in studies claiming to provide evidence for certain treatments and in the documentation of the harms these treatments caused. His contributions to ME/CFS literature and advocacy have helped to fundamentally change the understanding of the disease and its clinical care.”

Committee of Science for ME forum

“Not only has Tom Kindlon been a long-standing and dedicated advocate for people with ME, he has also made numerous and significant contributions to research in the field, both nationally and internationally. I worked closely with Tom on a project examining the economics costs of ME in Ireland and his deep knowledge and thoughtful contributions were key in incorporating the patient voice in the research and in interpreting our results and findings. I strongly believe that Tom would be a highly-deserving recipient of an honorary degree from Trinity College Dublin.”

Dr. John Cullinan
    Professor in Economics, University of Galway

“As an organization that advocates for ME/CFS patients at the European level, we fully endorse the nomination of Tom Kindlon for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin.

We think Mr Kindlon would be most suited for this degree. His detailed analysis of the scientific literature and advocacy has empowered patients and strengthened evidence-based medicine in the ME/CFS community. This is particularly important for an illness of which the pathology is poorly understood and where patients are desperate to alleviate their suffering.

Kindlon’s commentaries, papers and insights have ignited an important change in the treatment of ME/CFS that had worldwide implications. Prestigious medical institutions such as the CDC and NICE have changed course rather drastically in response to the reports of harm following rehabilitative treatments. Much of these changes can be brought back to the work of Kindlon, in particular his re-analysis of the PACE trial which showed that treatment effects were overestimated.

Kindlon’s work has important implications that transcend the ME/CFS field and can be seen in recent guidelines on Long Covid and other post-infectious illnesses. Mr Kindlon was a pioneer in a heavily under-researched field, the importance of which is now recognized much more widely, in the wake of Long Covid. Despite the severity of his illness, he has made an invaluable contribution to society.”

The European ME Coalition

“Tom Kindlon inspired me to become a patient advocate and start an ME/CFS charity in Belgium. From Tom, I learned how important it is to study the scientific literature and analyse the raw research data. His analysis of the PACE trial is a prime example of how patient advocates can make a meaningful contribution to the literature.

At the same time, Tom always stresses the importance of uniting patients, creating a community, and raising funds to stimulate more scientific research. He empowered patients worldwide to actively participate in the search for a cure for ME/CFS. His optimism and persistence is contagious.”

Michiel Tack
    ME/CFS advocate

"Tom's tireless work for the ME community – especially in providing useful scientific information – has been instrumental in making the ME community so scientifically literate."

Adam Lowe
    Member of the NICE Guideline committee for ME/CFS

“It’s very unlikely that hundreds of thousands of people around the world would be benefiting from better and safer clinical guidelines today if it wasn't for Tom.

His published work set the standard, and he persuaded many of us to join him in engaging rigourously with scientific research. Above all, Tom changed the terms of the debate about treatment, focusing it on the quality of the scientific evidence and what conclusions could safely be drawn about the effectiveness of existing treatments.”

Simon McGrath
    Independent ME/CFS researcher and advocate

"Tom is a courageous, important and authoritative voice both for those who suffer with ME and those who want to understand the impact of this awful and misunderstood illness."

Sean O'Neill
    Bereaved father; Times journalist

“Although I have never met Tom in person, he is one of the best known activist in the ME community. His international efforts to provide information and services to patients and to his ongoing efforts to update researchers on the latest scientific discoveries make him a most worthy candidate for this honorary degree.”

Leonard A. Jason, Ph.D.
    Professor of Psychology, DePaul University, USA

"I am pleased to support Robert Saunders' nomination of Tom Kindlon for the award of this proposed honorary degree by Trinity College Dublin.

I have worked with Tom in the past and found him to be most generous with his time, energy and knowledge.

Despite living with the severe limitations imposed by the illness myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) for nearly thirty years, Tom continues to share as much information about the illness as possible with the wider patient community. His work as Assistant Chairperson of the Irish ME/CFS Association over many years has provided an invaluable resource to both the local and the international ME community.

Tom's analysis and criticism of much of the scientific research concerning this illness has benefited the ME community enormously. His work has contributed significantly to the public understanding of ME and improved the outcomes of many advocacy initiatives and institutional reviews.

Academic and advocacy work are draining even for those who enjoy good health. For those who battle daily with a chronic, stigmatised and underfunded illness, it is a labour of love which defies description. The award of this proposed degree would go some way towards recognising the achievements of a highly respected and talented member of the international ME community."

Valerie Eliot Smith
    Barrister and Visiting Scholar, Centre for Commercial Law Studies, Queen Mary University of London

“Tom Kindlon has been an unwavering beacon of knowledge and support within the ME/CFS community for many years. His diligent efforts to keep patients, caregivers, and researchers informed through his advocacy, blogs and gathered postings about the latest publications and research projects have been invaluable. As the Assistant Chairperson of The Irish ME/CFS Association, Tom has demonstrated exceptional dedication and leadership. His tireless advocacy and commitment to enhancing the understanding of ME/CFS make him a deserving candidate for an honorary degree. Tom's contributions reflect the very essence of community service and the advancement of medical knowledge, resonating deeply with the values we uphold at Open Medicine Foundation. We wholeheartedly support the recognition of Tom Kindlon's profound impact on the ME/CFS community through an honorary degree.”

Linda Tannenbaum
    CEO and Founder of Open Medicine Foundation, USA

“It is undoubtedly the case that Tom Kindlon’s devoted, skilful, and determined work on behalf of all those affected by ME/CFS has enriched the debate on numerous issues vital to the lives of those affected by the disease – not least in the fields of research but also in public engagement and awareness raising. Tom’s detailed knowledge of issues has formed the bedrock of transformative change e.g. the re-analysis of the PACE trial resulted in fundamental policy shifts in the UK and beyond but all has been achieved from a position of knowledge and with an authoritative voice.”

Stewart Walker
    Operations Director, ME Research UK

“I personally do not know Kindlon and can only judge him through the achievements he has demonstrated, most profoundly as an influential patient voice with many inputs to papers and public policies on ME/CFS treatment and patient care. I really think his work has made a great impact on the whole research field and the attitude to and handling of ME/CFS patients. I was not aware that he had so severe ME/CFS, but knowing that now places his dedication and efforts even higher in my understanding. I believe he fills the criteria for the honary award very well and will cordially support the initiative!”

Olav Mella, MD, PhD
    Emeritus Professor of Oncology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway

“We are more than happy to support this nomination. Tom has been an important source of reliable information for WAMES for the 20+ years we have been in existence.”

Welsh Association of ME & CFS Support (WAMES)

“I wholehearted, support this proposal to honor Tom Kindlon. He has, after contracting ME, dedicated much of his life to supporting and advocating on behalf of ME sufferers, for many years.”

Simon Lawrence
    Chairperson, 25% ME Group – support for severe ME sufferers, UK

“Despite not knowing Tom Kindlon personally, I am convinced that his nomination for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin, is a just recognition of his unwavering contributions for high quality research in ME/CFS. His work also provided evidence to change and improve the health services provision for people with ME/CFS. I am honoured to endorse his nomination for being awarded with an honorary degree by the University of Dublin.”

Dr Eliana M Lacerda
    Clinical Assistant Professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK

"When I began investigating flawed research into ME/CFS, and in particular the PACE trial, Tom Kindlon was an invaluable guide. As I read more and more, it seemed Mr Kindlon had responded formally to each problematic claim or journal article on the matter with polite, cogent letters that easily cut through much obfuscatory and often absurd argumentation and theorizing. I was amazed that he was able to conduct this oversight function with such rigor and intelligence, consistently over almost two decades, despite his severe illness. Mr Kindlon and his impressive body of work have been an ongoing source of inspiration. He richly deserves this honor."

David Tuller, DrPH
    Senior Fellow in Public Health and Journalism, University of California, Berkeley, USA

“It is extraordinarily difficult for most people to understand the personal sacrifices and enforced deprivations endured by an ME patient like Tom Kindlon, in order to make such an outstanding contribution to clinical research, education and funding for research into ME/CFS. Severe ME patients are deprived of, or must restrict things that most people consider essential – social life, family life, physical activities and even aspects of personal care – in order to focus their very depleted energies, over time, on achieving something amazing in the wider world. It also takes great courage, optimism and support from others. This process isn’t without risks, as is demonstrated by the severe deterioration in health experienced by some who have undertaken such attempts. As a carer for my daughter, severely ill for decades with ME, I wholeheartedly support this nomination.”

Natalie Boulton
    Project Lead, Wellcome Public Engagement Fund Award: Dialogues for a neglected illness, UK

“As an Irish health professional with severe ME/CFS, finding Tom Kindlon and the Irish ME/CFS association was the turning point in accessing good quality information about the illness. His publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals are impressive in their own right – insightful, well-reasoned and restrained. It is outstanding that Tom has contributed meaningfully to the scientific literature on his own illness, despite not having been able to complete his third-level education due to that illness. The regard in which Tom is held by the scientific community is exemplified in a Lancet editorial discussing an ME/CFS paper, where Prof Daniel Clauw of the University of Michigan referenced three of Tom’s publications: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)30577-9/fulltext#

ME/CFS patients not just in Ireland, but globally, have benefitted from Tom’s competence, professionalism and altruism – qualities that Trinity College Dublin would be immensely proud of. Without his disability, I have no doubt that Tom would have achieved multiple higher degrees and excelled in his chosen field. With his disability, Tom has become a leader and exemplar of what can be achieved when patients are involved in research: the bar is raised.”

Karen D Kirke
    Speech & Language Therapist, Graduate and Foundation Scholar of Trinity College Dublin

“Tom Kindlon’s campaigning, research and communication skills are outstanding and thoroughly deserving of an honorary degree from Trinity College Dublin. Tom has worked unrelentingly for many years for other people with ME and inspired others to become involved. He has been exceptionally generous with his time and energy and is an invaluable source of information for people suffering with ME.”

Denise Spreag and Janet Sylvester
    #MEAction UK and #MEAction Scotland

“Invest in ME Research proudly supports the nomination of Tom Kindlon for an honorary degree at Trinity College Dublin.

Despite facing personal and severe challenges with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), Tom has demonstrated exceptional commitment by dedicating his life to raising awareness and to counter misinformation about the disease.

His selfless efforts have not only positively impacted individuals affected by the disease but have also contributed significantly to dispelling misconceptions within the healthcare community about the disease.

Tom has always been extremely supportive of the charity and his steadfast backing for Invest in ME Research has been extremely valuable in our efforts to develop solid foundations for biomedical research with our conferences, our research funding, our European collaborative network initiatives and the development of the centre of excellence for ME.

Tom is a true advocate, and we believe his unwavering dedication makes him a deserving candidate for this prestigious award.”

Invest in ME Research, UK

"Tom Kindlon has done some very important academic research that has served to demand increased rigor in the field of complex chronic illness research."

Michael VanElzakker, PhD
    Harvard Medical School & Massachusetts General Hospital, USA

“There is no doubt in my mind Tom deserves this award. His intellectual rigour has played a major role in improving understanding of ME/CFS and in particular recognition that the previously favoured approach was flawed and potentially harmful. His generosity, patience and knowledge have also meant that he has been an inspiration, support and counsel for many, including me.”

John Peters
    Patient for 38 years, Wales, UK

“Mr Kindlon is a scholar with a precious perspective; one who lives with the disease he researches. The endurance of balancing the needs of living with an energy-robbing chronic disease with his prolific work as a researcher, educator, and advocate is a perfect example of living the Trinity College Dublin’s motto. Countless people living with myalgic encephalomyelitis, clinicians, supporters, allies, and advocates worldwide have benefited from his work. It is through this body of work that Mr Kindlon has embodied the mission and vision of TCD, making him worthy of the honorary degree for which he has been nominated. Thank you, on behalf of an entire global community, for giving his nomination full consideration.”

Todd E. Davenport, PT, DPT, PhD(c), MPH
    Professor & Vice Chair, Department of Physical Therapy, University of the Pacific, USA

“Tom has the insightful mind of a research statistician, with the benefits of years of working with relevant data and scientific studies. He provided extremely important feedback for my own work in ME/CFS research when I needed to communicate about its strengths and weaknesses to science journalists and the lay public. His mathematical insights had a direct and positive impact on the outcome of my analysis, and therefore on the quality of science reporting across the United States.”

Rebecca Goldin, PhD
    Professor, Mathematical Sciences, George Mason University, USA

15. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a somewhat belated thank you for all the nice messages that forum members have posted to this thread.

And with regard to the people who nominated/endorsed me including with verbal comments, I'm just going to repeat what was posted earlier:

---
    Message I posted for circulation:

---
    Message I posted online:

---
    Thank you each and every one of you.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024