1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

STAT News: After nearly dying five times, a young doctor learned to treat himself. Now he wants to help others with rare disease

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.statnews.com/2019/09/12/after-nearly-dying-five-times-doctor-learned-to-treat-himself/

Amw66, alktipping, pteropus and 15 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some very familiar scenarios in the article. "Be a patient..."

More like be ridiculously and naively patient, not just a patient.

For most of us, our first, and sometimes only glimpse into the medical infrastructure is with our GP.

If the GP believes "they're working on it" that's the message patients get.

Many are told this about their particular health concerns. I was: "We're just waiting for a cure."

Even taking a more proactive approach and writing to the NIH, and Health and Welfare Canada (what it was called at the time), didn't get me more than a nice "We're working on it."

Essentially, a "go away" message. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Patients often seem to be viewed as annoying, or much worse if they're proactive.

For rare or neglected diseases, or for that matter well-funded ones that still need much work, it is essential that we are involved, and even take the lead.

3. wingate

wingate Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These two quotes sounded familiar:

"I think that, as I said before, if the incentives aren’t in place, sometimes the federal government needs to step in."

"There’s thousands of diseases with no answers, millions of patients. And there’s thousands of drugs that are available today. Can we really mobilize resources in a way to make use of existing drugs? I think that’s a really cool idea."

4. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently listened to this podcast with the author (a M.D.) of this book. Quite interesting with many parallels to people with a rare or poorly diagnosed illness. The author has Castleman disease. It even includes mention of mTor and sirolimus (rapamycin) as possibly helping these patients, cytokines storms and about the similarity of the storm to covid19's.

It also inculdes a short discussion of negotiating the process of creating patient centered research via a patient organization obtaining their own funding and directing what they want researched, instead of hoping researchers getting funded by a government etc.. There is not any detail in this discussion, but it certainly made me want to read the book and explore their patient organization...

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/13/855285638/doctor-with-rare-disease-decides-to-find-his-own-cure

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    shak8 likes this.