1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Der Spiegel—Sucessful-ish? Treatment of a German MECFS patient

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Jaybee00, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I could understand a slow reveal because you're sick and have to work on it, this sounds an awful lot like bravo sierra though. But I guess we'll see. Even if he found something that specifically worked for him that in itself would be great offcourse.

3. Solstice

He's got some more tweets out, if anything needs translating I can help a bit though I guess others that are actually German are better placed to do so. He's shrouding himself in mystery and it's all supposed to be towards the goal of making as big an impact as possible at the final reveal. I remain skeptical.

*edit* His story did get published in Der Spiegel which is a pretty big deal. Can't attest to how well-researched his treatment is, but I have to reverse on my initial skepticism about the way he tweeted about it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    MEMarge, livinglighter, Ron and 5 others like this.
  4. Jaybee00

5. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

makes me suspicious/skeptical, why would you need to do that? if something has worked to take a person from very severe to recovered, that has plenty impact on its own. Sounds like showmanship to me.

No disrespect intended, i hope its something wonderful, but i'm uncomfortable with the manufactured 'mystery'

6. Solstice

I'll translate more at a later time if someone doesn't beat me to it but he got prescribed Fycompa for his neurological problems. He's been treated in Schleswigh-Holstein by a team of doctors under the guidance of dr. Scheibenbogen it seems, but I can't stress this enough, I have to fully read it again. So don't take my word as gospel, it's a rough first interpretation atm.

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I did a quick run through the twitter thread using the auto translate you get if you select each tweet in turn.
    It looks like the main treatment was immuno absorption. The drug Fycompa seems to be an additional treatment.

MEMarge, Barry, Leila and 10 others like this.
  8. Trish

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  9. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread in English:
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1621930231689781251

Of note, the FDA has issued a black box warning for Fycompa (perampanel): https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/202834s011lbl.pdf

10. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe this kind of publicity is what we need to arouse public enthusiasm for finding proper treatments?

In the comments section on the Spiegel website, there are several sympathetic comments by laypeople and healthcare professionals expressing support for funding these treatments.

But, I also can't help remember how Rituximab seemed promising initially and then failed a placebo controlled trial.

Ariel, hibiscuswahine, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  11. Solstice

True, we need more investment though and Der Spiegel is a very legitimate paper in Germany I think. So while what this guy's on may not pan out if it attracts more investment and goodwill that's all gravy. I hope for his sake he at least keeps healthy btw. I've been of this site for a couple of years or at least visited very infrequently and it just stands out to me that we seem to be much more in the limelight. That still needs to convert in more research, but it's a start.

Louie41, Ariel, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  12. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

so pleased he has had improvement! :) wonderful regardless

Lets hope they do a proper trial

Louie41, Hutan, Ariel and 6 others like this.
  13. Jaybee00

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Louie41, Ariel and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  14. Jaybee00

Louie41 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  15. Solstice

I can give it a try somewhere later this week, but reading German is one thing translating speech another. I hope they'll post transcripts or English language summaries or something tbh.

Louie41 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  16. Solstice

Can't make heads or tails of it, sorry. If there's gonna be a transcript I'll do my best on that but translating audio is too much for my limited German skills.

17. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No scam, he's a well known patient (advocate).

I don't know why the slow reveal, maybe to give the original article more traffic?

He had immunadsorption and Fycompa.

Louie41, livinglighter, Hutan and 8 others like this.
  18. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fycompa is an anti-seizure drug. Who knows how his doctor decided to give him that.

19. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interestingly, Fycompa is an AMPA receptor antagonist that downregulates glutamate, which is the main excitory neurotransmitter. Perhaps the neurologist(s) who prescribed it to Faraz thought that it would help calm some of the “brain and small fiber neuropathy” related symptoms he mentioned in a tweet as being his main symptoms (I assume that this includes sensory hypersensitivity).

Downregulating glutamate is also the role of NMDA receptor antagonists such as ketamine and, in fact, the FDA prescribing information for Fycompa mentions that when abused, it produces dissociative effects similar to those of ketamine.

Another way to “calm the brain” that is well known to ME patients is upregulating GABA (the main inhibitory neurotransmitter) with benzodiazepines. Unfortunately, long term use of benzodiazepines leads to tolerance and physical dependence and the same goes for NMDA receptor antagonists. The FDA prescribing information mentions there is no data available to evaluate physical dependence to Fycompa in humans, but it has been shown to occur in rodent studies.

I hope that Faraz will not experience a withdrawal syndrome should he cease to use Fycompa or that the drug will lose its effectiveness over time and set him back to more severe ME, especially since his gains seem to be newfound.

20. Trish

Can someone explain why such attention is being given to one patient's experience with off label un-researched treatment?

Michelle, Louie41, sebaaa and 3 others like this.