1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shingles vaccines in US

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by MeSci, Oct 17, 2019.

1. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is from New England Journal of Medicine's Journal Watch.

https://blogs.jwatch.org/hiv-id-obs...he-shingles-vaccine-answered-here/2019/10/14/

October 14th, 2019
    Common Questions About the Shingles Vaccine — Answered Here!

Here’s an interesting email from my friend and ID-colleague Dr. Carlos Del Rio (shared with his permission):

Went Tuesday to see my PCP for a routine visit and had my second dose of Shingrix that day. I had gotten my first dose about 3 months ago and had severe chills and even a fever of 38.5 after the first dose. With the second dose the response was not as severe but did have chills and rigors for about 18 hrs. Stupid of me, but the next day I went to get my labs checked, and everything was fine except my HS-CRP which was 14.72 (nl < 10 and in the past I had been < 1.0).

Anyway…..Shingrix is a good vaccine but it is a tough one to take and really gives you a nice TNF storm!

The rest is at the link.

Binkie4, MEMarge and Mij like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

On my list for next year. I will have to get it privately as the NHS is limiting it to people a fair bit older than me so I doubt even if it is extended it would include my age group any time soon.

Binkie4, MeSci and MEMarge like this.
  3. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is there any suggestion whether the shingles vaccine is recommended for PWMECFS? My MECFS physician was not recommending this vaccine to their patients, but I do not know of any evidence that suggests that the new vaccine (or even the old one) is harmful to PWMECFS. Any thoughts about this?

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I had the shingles vaccine a few months ago. In the UK it is offered when you turn 70. I had no noticeable side effects from it, nor any effect on my ME. Shingles sounds pretty horrible. I preferred to have the vaccine. It was a single dose. Maybe it's different from the US one.

MEMarge, Mithriel, Mij and 2 others like this.
  5. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been advised that it's fairly unlikely I'd get shingles a second time, so it's one vaccine choice I don't have to make (unless the advice has changed by the time I get to 70).

Mine only got diagnosed because I happened to have an appointment at the surgery to have stitches removed. There was a little rash going in a line across my back, which I realised was a bit tender when the nurse got the GP to examine it, but I had no other symptoms. I don't think I'd have known I'd had it otherwise.

The only difficult bit was when someone else developed it a few weeks later, and we had to try and convince two particular colleagues that shingles itself isn't transmissible. We'd both checked that people in our respective offices had definitely had chickenpox before continuing going in to work with it...we never quite convinced them that we weren't spreading a shingles epidemic, though! :laugh:

MEMarge, Trish and Wonko like this.
  6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Canada SHINGRIX is a two-dose vaccine.

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge, Mithriel and Mij like this.
  8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Shingrix is expensive (new, more effective than Zostavax) and because of its effectiveness (maybe because of the adjuvant?-- which is the chemical that prods your immune system into action) side effects of the vaccine can be strong: sore arm, muscle aches, fever, etc. This means the immune system is activated (a good thing).

Probably the UK will get on board with Shingrix when the price drops (generic comes out).

MEMarge likes this.