1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Sex-Based Differences in Plasma Autoantibodies to Central Nervous System Proteins in Gulf War Veterans... (2021) Abou-Donia et al.

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Milo, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sex-Based Differences in Plasma Autoantibodies to Central Nervous System Proteins in Gulf War Veterans versus Healthy and Symptomatic Controls

(note: Dr Klimas is a co-author, and ME/cfs was used as a control but it does not appear to highlight results at first glance)

Abstract:

Veterans from the 1991 Gulf War (GW) have suffered from Gulf War illness (GWI) for nearly 30 years.

This illness encompasses multiple body systems, including the central nervous system (CNS).

Diagnosis and treatment of GWI is difficult because there has not been an objective diagnostic biomarker.

Recently, we reported on a newly developed blood biomarker that discriminates GWI from GW healthy controls, and symptomatic controls with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS).

The present study was designed to compare levels of these biomarkers between men and women with GWI, as well as sex-specific effects in comparison to healthy GW veterans and symptomatic controls (IBS, ME/CFS).

The results showed that men and women with GWI differ in 2 of 10 plasma autoantibodies, with men showing significantly elevated levels.

Men and women with GWI showed significantly different levels of autoantibodies in 8 of 10 biomarkers to neuronal and glial proteins in plasma relative to controls.

In summary, the present study addressed the utility of the use of plasma autoantibodies for CNS proteins to distinguish among both men and women veterans with GWI and other healthy and symptomatic control groups

Open access here

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    spinoza577, Ron, John Mac and 5 others like this.