1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Professor Michael Sharpe

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Cheshire, Sep 3, 2018.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else think it’s noteworthy that he’s had to go outside the UK to get this coverage?

LadyBirb, andypants, Woolie and 30 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh my.. Hadn't seen this one before :(
    One of the authors, Ulrik Malt, believes illnesses like ME are "trendy" conditions and becomes epidemic by being spread via social contamination.
    In a teaching book about psychiatry he classified ME as neurasthenia.

andypants, Woolie, Barry and 14 others like this.
  3. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Any pointed criticism they receive of their work they refer to as intimidation.

4. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s almost getting to the stage that any slur they hurl at us, is effectively an admission of their own guilt of that very thing. So they say we are intimidating them? Likely that is exactly what they are up to themselves! There is a name for this I think. Projection or something.

5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

For some reason that makes me think of projectile vomiting. Sorry. Too much Sharpe and Chalder on the forum today for me to stomach.

6. Liv aka Mrs Sowester

Liv aka Mrs Sowester Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What wonderful news!

Let's hope he sticks to his word and stays away (and he isn't expecting us to have a whip round for a card and a leaving gift).

MeSci, andypants, Woolie and 15 others like this.
  7. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is VERY relevant that this has come from the Netherlands, home of several BPS *******.
    Hopefully it is a good sign that UK outlets are finally becoming wary of him.

8. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My printer had a similar reaction and choked on it. Now I have managed to extract several mangled extracts.

9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note they do not publish the email MS sent to C. Monaghan, where he says that her behaviour was 'unbecoming'o_O

Also, if he has washed his hands of CFS 'research' and still thinks PACE needs no further analysis, why is the MRC 'supporting the authors' in anonymising the PACE trial data? Or is it just Chalder doing it now?

andypants, Woolie, rvallee and 9 others like this.
  10. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While I don't necessarily think that this article will have much traction at this point I find it frightening from another perspective.

How easy (so very easy) it is to make a whole group of people, none of whom you've ever met or engaged with in any way -- Other. You see MS on the laptop screen and the person conversing with him with his hands fingertips touching in a 'thoughful' gesture. This is a man who thinks he is siding with reason because reason will always be found on the side of authority, of those who are educated and 'know better'.

This is paternalism at it's worst. No need to go to the source and have an open mind. The narrative of us all being the stupid unwashed is in fact appealing. It boosts the person in their own esteem.

11. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Established Member (Voting Rights)

It seems that every quote of a patient/activist came from replies to Sharpe's most recent batch of tweets that asked questions such as "What kind of research do patients want?" Was he planning on harvesting the most critical tweets and then calling them intimidation?

He asked for our thoughts. He started the dialogue and then framed the replies as "intimidation."

https://twitter.com/user/status/1009496281998229504

Edited for clarity(?) and fumbling with words.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    andypants, Woolie, Sean and 16 others like this.
  12. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would have thought so yes, "we" do have the odd positive idea, or two, on both research and care.

andypants, Woolie, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  13. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think he's simply seen the inevitable downfall he has made for himself with his crappy science, and has been looking for an exit strategy - this is it I imagine. He's hardly the type to put his hands up and apologise and make good - instead it has to be everyone else's fault, as always. I think @NelliePledge is on the button that he's had to scratch around outside the UK for that; those in the UK maybe won't touch him with a barge pole now. Even SW seemed to be ready to throw MS under the bus the other day, with his words alluding to how "we" got things wrong, but probably meaning 0.1% blame SW and the rest on others ... enter MS.

Woolie, adambeyoncelowe, Sean and 8 others like this.
  14. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I think this is quite likely

15. Barry

I strongly suspect he was prodding for reactions, and sorely disappointed that the only reactions he got by and large were highly valid criticisms of his science. So making the 'best' of what he got and still trying to convince the gullible it was 'intimidation'. Just because the truth intimidates you MS, does not make it intimidation in the sense you imply.

Woolie, janice, Joh and 14 others like this.
  16. Barry

https://www.britannica.com/topic/defense-mechanism#ref195659

17. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are some very pertinent comments on Demonitor's Facebook post which is very heartening. Virtually all the comments so far (at least those that I think I have understood) were very critical of Sharpe. (Apart from one commentor who kept getting annoyed that people were talking about ME. He asserted that PACE was relevant to only CFS and that Sharpe had personally confirmed that it had nothing to do with ME. It would be interesting to see what Sharpe had actually said on this.)

Unfortunately Sharpe, and perhaps also the reporter, rather than addressing the points raised are likely to see this as confirmation of what horrid bullies people with ME are.

Woolie, janice, MEMarge and 10 others like this.
  18. Keela Too

Keela Too Senior Member (Voting Rights)

19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

I assume that would be Guido Den Broeder. If I recall correctly I'm sure I've seen him declare that anyone diagnosed with CFS can't possibly have ME.

For a response see this post: https://www.s4me.info/threads/diagn...he-labels-me-and-cfs.12101/page-8#post-313076

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2020
    Barry, Sarah94, sea and 11 others like this.
  20. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1011341850786123779

https://twitter.com/user/status/1009799645445480448

I couldn't find the second quote as a response to his June 20th tweet, although one did mention "flawed research":

https://twitter.com/user/status/1010228175010443264

Second quote appears here though:

https://twitter.com/user/status/982908194094833665

It's clear that he blocks once he's got what he wants.

andypants, Woolie, janice and 13 others like this.