1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bayesian statistics improves biological interpretability of metabolomics data from human cohorts, 2023, Brydges, Che, Lipkin and Fiehn

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 20, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Preprint Abstract

Background: Univariate analyses of metabolomics data currently follow a frequentist approach, using p-values to reject a null-hypothesis. However, the usability of p-values is plagued by many misconceptions and inherent pitfalls. We here propose the use of Bayesian statistics to quantify evidence supporting different hypotheses and discriminate between the null hypothesis versus lack of statistical power.

Methods: We use metabolomics data from three independent human cohorts that studied plasma signatures of subjects with myalgic encephalomyelitis / chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). Data are publicly available, covering 84-197 subjects in each study with 562-888 identified metabolites of which 777 were common between two studies, and 93 compounds reported in all three studies. By comparing results from classic multiple regression against Bayesian multiple regression we show how Bayesian statistics incorporates results from one study as prior information into the next study, thereby improving the overall assessment of the likelihood of finding specific differences between plasma metabolite levels and disease outcomes in ME/CFS.

Results: Whereas using classic statistics and Benjamini-Hochberg FDR-corrections, study 1 detected 18 metabolic differences, study 2 detected no differences. Using Bayesian statistics on the same data, we found a high likelihood that 97 compounds were altered in concentration in study 2, after using the results of study 1 as prior distributions. These findings included lower levels of peroxisome-produced ether-lipids, higher levels of long chain, unsaturated triacylglycerides, and the presence of exposome compounds that are explained by difference in diet and medication between healthy subjects and ME/CFS patients. Although study 3 reported only 92 reported compounds in common with the other two studies, these major differences were confirmed. We also found that prostaglandin F2alpha, a lipid mediator of physiological relevance, was significantly reduced in ME/CFS patients across all three studies.

Conclusions: The use of Bayesian statistics led to biological conclusions from metabolomic data that were not found through the frequentist analytical approaches more commonly employed. We propose that Bayesian statistics to be highly useful for studies with similar research designs if similar metabolomic assays are used.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.05.17.492312v1?ct=

Edit: Published Sept 2023, see post #4

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2023
    Midnattsol, Michelle, Simon M and 6 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the results would change if they changed the order of the studies.

Here they started with the Nagy-Szakal et al. study then used its results as a prior for the study by Che et al. And then used those results as a prior for the Naviaux et al. study. But if you reversed or changed this order, would you find different results?

chillier, Dolphin, RedFox and 8 others like this.
  3. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Trish likes this.
  5. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The abstract in the published paper is slightly different from the preprint, cutting out criticisms of the frequentist approach such as 'However, the usability of p-values is plagued by many misconceptions and inherent pitfalls.' :

Abstract
    Univariate analyses of metabolomics data currently follow a frequentist approach, using p-values to reject a null hypothesis. We here propose the use of Bayesian statistics to quantify evidence supporting different hypotheses and discriminate between the null hypothesis versus the lack of statistical power.

We used metabolomics data from three independent human cohorts that studied the plasma signatures of subjects with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). The data are publicly available, covering 84–197 subjects in each study with 562–888 identified metabolites of which 777 were common between the two studies and 93 were compounds reported in all three studies. We show how Bayesian statistics incorporates results from one study as “prior information” into the next study, thereby improving the overall assessment of the likelihood of finding specific differences between plasma metabolite levels.

Using classic statistics and Benjamini–Hochberg FDR-corrections, Study 1 detected 18 metabolic differences and Study 2 detected no differences. Using Bayesian statistics on the same data, we found a high likelihood that 97 compounds were altered in concentration in Study 2, after using the results of Study 1 as the prior distributions. These findings included lower levels of peroxisome-produced ether-lipids, higher levels of long-chain unsaturated triacylglycerides, and the presence of exposome compounds that are explained by the difference in diet and medication between healthy subjects and ME/CFS patients. Although Study 3 reported only 92 compounds in common with the other two studies, these major differences were confirmed. We also found that prostaglandin F2alpha, a lipid mediator of physiological relevance, was reduced in ME/CFS patients across all three studies.

The use of Bayesian statistics led to biological conclusions from metabolomic data that were not found through frequentist approaches. We propose that Bayesian statistics is highly useful for studies with similar research designs if similar metabolomic assays are used.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    chillier, shak8 and Andy like this.
  6. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did they look at / adjust for when in any female patients’ menstrual cycle samples were taken?

(ETA: this might be a dumb question. I’m only asking because I recall that prostaglandin is related (some kind of feedback thing?) to progesterone which oscillates through the menstrual cycle - causal relationship. So, if someone were having menstrual cycles that would affect things and if someone were not having menstrual cycles low levels might be normal. But I don’t know anything, just wondered)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    obeat likes this.