1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pregabalin

Discussion in 'Drug and supplement treatments' started by Inara, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Anyone got any experience of withdrawing from pregabalin? I have been on 75mg for anxiety morning and night (150 a day) for four years. I am now severe and think the medication might be causing me more brain fog and fatigue. Plus I am not sure it is of any benefit anymore.

Conversely I am a little afraid that it may be masking my severity and sound sensitivity etc might increase without it. I plan to taper if it do it. Am hopefully starting pots meds soon and feel that I would prefer not to be on this too if possible.

Ash likes this.
  2. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've been taking it for 4yrs for headaches. I have never withdrawn from it completely but never had trouble reducing the dosage when possible.

There should be a Pregabailn solution/drops as well. Maybe you can use that for smaller steps if necessary?

Ash and Lilas like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

You can actually get 25mg pregabalin tablets I know this because I couldn’t tolerate 75mg and asked for the lowest dose instead.
    (In the end I stopped taking it regularly then stopped altogether because even at 25mg am and pm I had side effect of tremor)

Ash, Leila, V.R.T. and 1 other person like this.
  4. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just prescribed it for burning pain in feet. Just taken my first dose :eek:

Been given 25mg - 1 at night for 2 wks, then 1 in morning also - so 50mg a day

Am most afraid of the weight gain/hunger being mainly house/bedbound its a real struggle keeping weight down. Dont want to face a choice of reducing my energy budget because i carrying around extra weight, or being in pain unable to sleep every night.

Would love to hear even one person say they on it & not gained weight, this is really worrying me.

Ash and Trish like this.
  5. Charles B.

Charles B. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am on it and haven’t gained weight. I also take a much, much higher dosage then you were prescribed.

Ash and Trish like this.
  6. JemPD

Joy.

Thank you Charles.

I hope some other people will also say the same

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    Ash, Charles B. and Trish like this.
  7. JemPD

yes. I feel completely dissociated from myself, i cant feel any feelings. In some ways its pleasant as i feel no anxiety, but then its unhelpful, because things that i need to feel sufficient anxiety about to guide my behaviour, such as speaking to someone about something important but which would be a bit difficult... i now feel 'not bothered' about, I have become 'it'll be ok' in my thinking, about things that actually may not be ok if i dont do something about it.

i have lost all sense of urgency, until just before my evening dose when i suddenly snap back in & get disturbed by trhings & think 'right i'll get on with that first thing tomorrow'. but then by the time tomorrow comes i am drugged up again & i dont do it.

I feel like i smoked a massive joint, but without the giggling.

The brain fog is immense, PEM levels when well rested. My feet burn a little less but i am not functioning well.
    plus....

We upped my dose every 2 wks... now on 75 twice a day.

I put on a stone - in the first 6wks
    :emoji_scream:

A STONE! 7 kilos

stayed stable over last 2wks but oh my, this is not good. But its only between the hours of 10pm & midnight that i even care... when my daytime dose wears off & before the 'bedtime' one kicks in.

I have a call scheduled with pharmacist next wk so will see what she says. She's also put me on a statin, which appears to be making the stoned feeling even worse!

8. Charles B.

Just an aside on Lyrica. I take 450 mg/day, and it helps immensely with the pervasive sensory sensitivities accompanying my presentation. It also helps some with the peripheral neuropathy.

Again, this is an N=1 case, and unlike a scuba diving denizen of the deep, I will not generalize. I just wanted to add my experience to the thread.

Ash, bobbler, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  9. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can you expand on this? What symptoms specifically, and how does it help? I was prescribed this early in my illness but never took it.

Ash and bobbler like this.
  10. Charles B.

Like many patients, I find myself unusually sensitive to sensory phenomena like light, touch, sound, etc. I also deal with extensive peripheral neuropathy in my face, eyes, hands, and feet.

I have found a reduction in these symptoms associated with Pregabalin usage.

Ash, InitialConditions and shak8 like this.
  11. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Kitty and Ash like this.
  12. NelliePledge

I note the Metro article says alcohol and SSRIs should be avoided when taking pregabalin. I was on fluoxetine when I was prescribed pregabalin…….

Wits_End, Kitty and Ash like this.
  13. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A few years ago I was prescribed Lyrica but I don't recall exactly what for now. It was probably for peripheral neuropathy and probably to shut me up because my GP didn't believe I had it at the time. (That changed recently!)

I didn't get past first base. For three days I took half a 25mg tablet and I felt a bit more relaxed than usual but otherwise nothing much so I progressed to a whole tablet and almost immediately my anxiety level went through the roof. I stuck it out for a few days then went back to half a tablet for several more days but the anxiety remained. I tried a few more times on and off but the anxiety was always off the charts. I mentioned to my doctor that I had read a few horror stories about people becoming addicted and she had never heard about that.

Much later I came across a forum for people trying to come off it. These people were really desperate to be free of it and were having a huge amount of trouble weaning themselves off it. Some managed to get from very high doses down to 25mg but couldn't get any further. Their stories were heart-breaking to read. I felt relieved it hadn't suited me.

Arnie Pye, Kitty, Ash and 2 others like this.
  14. V.R.T.

V.R.T. Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am trapped on pregablin (75mg X2 daily) after five years. I went on it for 'anxiety' (actually ME related symptoms) and planned to be on it for a year. This was 2019. Then covid hit and my ME got much worse and I don't dare try to come off. My partner is also on it and she had a horrible time tapering from 300 to 150mg. And an major crash when she tried to taper beyond that a year or so ago (she has moderate ME).

I know it is affecting my brain fog. I would give anything to go off it for a month without side effects so I could know if I benefit from it or if (as I suspect) it is making things worse.

I do have a lot of neuropathy type symptoms though. Nothing diagnosed as yet.

Just another aspect of the hell I've trapped myself in.

oldtimer, Kitty, Ash and 3 others like this.
  15. NelliePledge

Sorry to hear that V.R.T. Sending hugs

Wits_End, Kitty, V.R.T. and 2 others like this.
  16. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I recently started it and after the first few days noticed a decrease in anxious energy which is necessary at the moment. I also just had two dinners.

shak8 and Ash like this.